Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone been charged for going over 5 gigs on vodafone 3G internet

Options
  • 03-11-2007 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Hey lads, Just started the vodafone 3G trial and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with getting charged for going over the limit of 5 gigs?

Do they give any warning or cut you off?

How accurate are they at measuring how much bandwidth you've used?

Anyone think its likely they'll be either raising the limit or offering a more expensive package with a higher limit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Thorbar wrote: »
    Hey lads, Just started the vodafone 3G trial and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with getting charged for going over the limit of 5 gigs?

Anyone think its likely they'll be either raising the limit or offering a more expensive package with a higher limit?

Hey Thorbar, i've just posted in another thread with this problem, i too have just gotten broadband through vodafone and am after running up 7.6 gigs, which by my admittidly poor mathematics would equate to an extra 52 quid a month, i'm also waiting for other peoples thoughts and experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Thorbar wrote: »

i have heard of people getting disconnected and sent huge bills.. it was previously posted on here i believe , a while back..

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JohnMcMahon

A friend of mine broke the Vodafone cap and got a three digit bill as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

i got charged 500 euro for going over the limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Jaysus thats a stinger, would not pay it mind you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Bard wrote: »
    Tackle69:

Considering it's charged at 12c per megabyte over the 5GB limit (mind you, correct me if I'm wrong there...), 2.6Gb extra would equate to roughly 2,600Mb x 12c which equates to a charge of €312 on top of your normal monthly payment.

Ouch!
    You were right up till recently but they have changed their pricing for going over the cap recently to 2c per meg. AFAIK Vodafone will charge you for going over limit and they will do it without warning, it will just be on your next bill. 02 are the only one of the three 3G companies that don't immediately charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

far2gud wrote: »
    Jaysus thats a stinger, would not pay it mind you!
    why not, you are aware of the charges before you sign the contract.

YOU HAVE TO PAY IT.

i hate people thinking they can cheat "the system".

if you don't like it, then don't sign up.

this is not pointed at the OP btw, who is on a trial

Gotta agree with Cremo on this one its not Vodafones fault that you have went over your limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Yes they now charge 2c per Mb over the cap, i got a letter the other day explaining it..............but it doesnt effect me as I am on the Unlimited plan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Yes they now charge 2c per Mb over the cap, i got a letter the other day explaining it..............but it doesnt effect me as I am on the Unlimited plan :)

Same here. I cant remember the last time I was Under the cap, never been charged. All hail early adopters! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭chikuu

Bard wrote: »
    Tackle69:

Considering it's charged at 12c per megabyte over the 5GB limit (mind you, correct me if I'm wrong there...), 2.6Gb extra would equate to roughly 2,600Mb x 12c which equates to a charge of €312 on top of your normal monthly payment.

Ouch!

I never went over the limit... but I got a letter about 3 weeks ago saying that people who went over the limit in the last months will be credited if they bring the issue with customer services (so they say)

Also just to say, if you go over the 5GB quota, u are charged 2c per MB used now. Its used to be 12c but it is now 2c.

Don't forget the price plan is not included if u go roaming.

DaBreno wrote: »
    Same here. I cant remember the last time I was Under the cap, never been charged. All hail early adopters! :)

I dont even bother to add all the data on the bill to be honest, if they tell me to calm down then I will. After the almost 18 months its been now, I dont think they have too much of a issue with me. Just out of interest DaBreno how much are you paying per month? And have you upgraded your card yet?

DaBreno wrote: »
    Yea gotta agree very happy to be on the unlimited package :D Though I wish they had the usb modem at the start instead of this pretty much useless card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It's a ludicrously low cap though. Maybe they're not raising it cos they're afraid they'll get flooded with customers and the system will become oversubscribed like it has with 3?

Firetrap wrote: »
    It's a ludicrously low cap though. Maybe they're not raising it cos they're afraid they'll get flooded with customers and the system will become oversubscribed like it has with 3?

Maybe, but could you blame them for not wanting to do a three on it? I haven't seen any up to date figures for mobile broadband but I would think that three haven't much more customers than Vodafone, The difference is Vodafone actually know how to run a network.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Yea gotta agree very happy to be on the unlimited package :D Though I wish they had the usb modem at the start instead of this pretty much useless card.

How can i get the unlimited package? When i signed up for the broadband, it only gave me one option, that being the 5gb €30 a month offer.

Tackle69 wrote: »
    How can i get the unlimited package? When i signed up for the broadband, it only gave me one option, that being the 5gb €30 a month offer.
    You can't, They stopped offering the unlimited package almost a year ago so only early adopters like myself and a few others on this thread have it. It cost just under 50 euro a month so its not like its that much better value than the current package, just don't have to worry about cap.

Also when it came out first they didn't have the usb modem so if you wanted to use on a desktop computer you would have to buy a separate specialized router to connect it. Also means that Ive an obsolete card that can't be used on modern laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Hi, i signed up to Vodafone about 9 months ago and am currently paying 48.99 a month yet i got a letter in the post now saying about the 5gb cap thing, surely im on the same unlimited usage as you guys no??

Also my usage for the past 9 months has been between 15gb to 25gb a month.....

mdwexford wrote: »
    Hi, i signed up to Vodafone about 9 months ago and am currently paying 48.99 a month yet i got a letter in the post now saying about the 5gb cap thing, surely im on the same unlimited usage as you guys no??

Also my usage for the past 9 months has been between 15gb to 25gb a month.....
    Yep thats the unlimited package. I think they just sent out that letter to everyone regardless of what package you have, don't take any notice of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

I dont even bother to add all the data on the bill to be honest, if they tell me to calm down then I will. After the almost 18 months its been now, I dont think they have too much of a issue with me. Just out of interest DaBreno how much are you paying per month? And have you upgraded your card yet?

Around the 50 yo-yo mark and Im on an 18 month contract. Havent upgraded the card yet. Im still on the 3.6 Mb modem, but after a few calls to vodafone they told me that they have no plans to upgrade my local tower (West Galway) to HSDPA this year so I might as well stick with what I have. Service is slow as it is, so it will be a long time i think before I ever see a download at 3.6 never mind 7.2.

• Advertisement

mdwexford, it seems they sent that letter to everyone, dont worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

used vodafone 3G BB for trial period too,i was nearly shocked to death when i checked my traffic the last time!i used the line very carefully so that i make sure it wont exceed the limit in one month time,but it happened!!5 GB after 1 week!i knew it was impossible to happen so that i immediately cancelled the service:mad:

using a proper broadband now,20GB traffic limit per month,crazily watching videos,download stuffs,used about 2Gb after one week.a joke to vodafone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Thanks for the replies, letter is in the bin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Cremo wrote: »
    why not, you are aware of the charges before you sign the contract.

YOU HAVE TO PAY IT.

i hate people thinking they can cheat "the system".

if you don't like it, then don't sign up.

this is not pointed at the OP btw, who is on a trial

I got out of it before. with esat bt when they sent me a bill for around 2300. but that was because they had never sent me a bill after 2 years of service. I obviously wasn't going to call them up asking can I please have the bill. that would be stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 FarSide

They never actually sent me a bill, just a snotty letter back in April about exceeding the cap. I couldn't be arsed getting into an argument with them about it, so just throttled back a bit for a couple of months. Admittedly I was getting a bit enthusiastic for the few months previously and my peak was around 27gigs for one month - quite where that all went I still don't know.:D
    I've been on the Unlimited deal of €49.95 since September 06 and if another letter arrives about the cap I will argue about it, after reading other Unlimited users' opinions here. A letter arrived recently about the reduction in cap-exceeded charges to 2c/MB, but as said, that went out to everybody regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

What is this vodafone unlimited service. I remember I only had mine a week and our account manager rang us up and said we needed to change the SIM's. She brought new ones up but there still sitting here. We never put them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 FarSide

What is this vodafone unlimited service. I remember I only had mine a week and our account manager rang us up and said we needed to change the SIM's. She brought new ones up but there still sitting here. We never put them in.

For the first six months or so of the service anyone who signed up was given an 'unlimited' package with ostensibly no data cap. I presume this was to encourage people to sign up and spread the word - a tactic which worked brilliantly. After a bit of querying around it seemed to be that in Vodafone's useage of English, 'unlimited' didn't actually mean UNLIMITED (the way normal people would use the word), but really meant there was a 'soft' cap of 5GB/month.
    After the first few months, new users were signed up to a different contract which avoided the use of the word 'unlimited' entirely.
    Of course, there is a catch - with the speed increases that have happened recently and will happen again shortly, first adopters will need to upgrade their data cards to make full use of these new services and that will most likely involve signing a new non-unlimited contract.

FarSide wrote: »
    For the first six months or so of the service anyone who signed up was given an 'unlimited' package with ostensibly no data cap. I presume this was to encourage people to sign up and spread the word - a tactic which worked brilliantly. After a bit of querying around it seemed to be that in Vodafone's useage of English, 'unlimited' didn't actually mean UNLIMITED (the way normal people would use the word), but really meant there was a 'soft' cap of 5GB/month.
    That 5GB a month soft cap as you call it was just a rumor that went around boards.ie. It is unlimited with an acceptable usage policy, If it was really a 5Gb cap I would have been sent letters a long time ago because I have honestly never been under 10GB in a month and some months getting closer to 40GB. And not to mention if the 5GB soft cap was true, the unlimited customers would be paying way more than people on the newer contract with a clear cap of 5GB.

When I got it just after the launch I pushed a few sales agents over the phone on the issue, because at the time there was barely any information on it even on boards. The answer I got was as long as you're not having an effect on other people you shouldn't really have to worry about any cap. Which i would think to mean if you're constantly downloading during peak times and putting strain on the equipment in your area.

edit-Just want to make it clear that I am talking about the Unlimited package and not the current 5GB a month package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Lads any of you having Issues with your Vodafone BB today?? I'm on the unlimited you were talking about above. I've been using about 10 - 15 gig a month. I went to connect today and getting various errors. One was saying "sim network reject" but I popped the sim card into my phone and it allows me to make calls, but the Data end wouldn't connect!

I got no letter that I am aware of, so was just wondering if its a general problem? I'm in the Waterford area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭chikuu

Stokolan wrote: »
    Lads any of you having Issues with your Vodafone BB today?? I'm on the unlimited you were talking about above. I've been using about 10 - 15 gig a month. I went to connect today and getting various errors. One was saying "sim network reject" but I popped the sim card into my phone and it allows me to make calls, but the Data end wouldn't connect!

I got no letter that I am aware of, so was just wondering if its a general problem? I'm in the Waterford area.

ya I am in the waterford area too. I live near dungarvan. I tried to connect last friday and it would not connect. Just got "Failed to connect".

On saturday, it connected and I got a GPRS signal so slow it was, I am always used to HSPDA, the highest.

I went to waterford city on sunday nite, and tried it, and it worked on HSPDA.

I say there is something wrong in the waterford county area.

Advertisement