Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom any plans for 8Mb

Options
  • 04-11-2007 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi and sorry if this has been asked before but it tried looking it up in the forum and did not see it
    basically Does Eircom have any plans to increase the BB speed to 8Mb in the very near future for residential customers or shall i migrate as well to BT (Malahideco.Dublin)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

no news at the moment other than some customer in sandyford who is eircoms 500,000th bb customer is getting 12meg bb soon but i think its fibre rather than normal dsl so no real news yet that anyone knows. Only when someone from the 'inside' posts some breaking news here or an eircom announcement out of the blue will we know anything.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sort of, Eircom applied to Comreg to roll out "up to" 6mb products *, however Comreg has stopped them from launching these products, until Eircom sort out the situation with LLU.

* "up to" means that it is completely dependent on your line quality, if your line is bad then you might only get 1mb, ther are no guarantees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I would go with BT or Smart if I wanted it now, there will be more choice for 8mbit and up in a year from now ( in urban areas) .

Are you SURE BT have unbundled Malahide ??

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

no not really sure if BT has unbundled Malahide ,in fact i know little of this term ! would some care to expand on this thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BT only provides 8mbits where they have their own gear in the eircom exchange . Thats sort of the key point of unbundling ( aka LLU aka ULL) .

Therefore they are not forced to resell eircom as is the case in most exchanges , and in all rural or small town exchanges .

• Advertisement
Advertisement