Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkey puzzle tree's

Options
  • 04-11-2007 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭

While I havent generally noticted the planting habits of people, I have noticed that you just dont see monkey puzzle tree's anymore. Why is that? They are sharp, but beautiful things. There is one in Cabra I seen today that inspired this post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Archeron wrote: »
    While I havent generally noticted the planting habits of people, I have noticed that you just dont see monkey puzzle tree's anymore. Why is that? They are sharp, but beautiful things. There is one in Cabra I seen today that inspired this post.

Size matters - probably more to do with the lack of space to accomodate such a very large tree. Agree they are very attractive, and despite the sharp leaves etc are a relatively trouble free tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Not being child friendly is one possibility. One problem they do have is the habit of going brown and losing branches from the base up. I had one at a previous address and it was a lovely sight, I passed it a few weeks ago however and wished I had a bow saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

there was a beautiful monkey puzzle tree on merrion road for years, but they sold the house and it was one of the first things to go....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭eoinhealy

Allot of people get them when they are small, and think they would look great in a cretin part of the garden, not realizing the hight the width they actually grow.

The biggest mistake is that poeple think they look good near the house, Bad idea!!

They are great looking trees, but you really do need to have a large garden for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Here's a photo of a monkey tree planted about 4' from the front wall/front door of a two up/two down house. Crazy innit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Archeron ,

Here are two for you. The second one is nice isn't it. A nice raised crown.

The first one is at the corner of the SCR and Bulfin/Suir rd junction. If you're stuck in traffic turning right on the SCR you might catch a glimpse of it if you look left. The other is not too far away either.
    regards

Advertisement