Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three years off them and I want a smoke....

Options
  • 04-11-2007 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭

I've had a tough couple of months and would love the poisonous happiness a smoke would bring. Having smoked for 14 years and now not having smoked for 3 years, it is hard in stressful times to ignore the choky cancery appeal.

Oh God, I really never thought I would feel like this....

Any suggestions? Ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Hope you didn't have one! I'm off them six months and if I think of having a cigarette I just ask myself how will I feel five minutes after putting out that cigarette? I know I will be disgusted with myself and also most likely I wouldn't have enjoyed it! Also, the thoughts of starting at Day 1 of a quit keeps me off them!! I know you said you've had a couple of tough months but if you'd been smoking during that time, the situation that caused the tough time wouldn't be any different - if you know what I mean! Stay off them, going back on them down would only create problems, not solve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭Archeron

Yeah, I know what you mean. Thankfully I didnt have one, and am still a non smoker. Just shows though that it can be a tough thing to fully get away from. Even after all these years, I still felt the urge.

Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭John Kimble

Archeron wrote: »
    I've had a tough couple of months and would love the poisonous happiness a smoke would bring. Having smoked for 14 years and now not having smoked for 3 years, it is hard in stressful times to ignore the choky cancery appeal.

Oh God, I really never thought I would feel like this....

Any suggestions? Ideas?

That sounds like a familiar dilemma. There are still occasions where I absolutely crave a quick smoke. But look at it this way..think of the enormous effort you have put into resisting the urge to smoke for three years. Now think how big a loser you would feel like were you to undo all that hard work. Sounds harsh but that's the way it is. I really don't think I could live with myself if I gave in after three long, difficult years.
    Do not underestimate the importance of your achievement. I've seen so many friends con themselves into thinking that they have still given up, even though..
    - they now only smoke when they drink
    - they only smoke one a day
    - they only enjoy the occasional drag
    Once you give in, you're back to square one. And it will take another three years to get to the same point. Don't give in.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Amen to that.

Advertisement