Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fastest/most poweful cars on the open market

Options
  • 04-11-2007 5:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

what cars on the open market are the fastest/most poweful...

i know fastest/most poweful are not the same, but i just want to get a feel for why people, especially 'boy racers' go for imprezas and civics. what bhp are these and how much more powerful than ordinary cars are they?...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

I don't have a civic or an evo or one of those cars, but knowing people that do there are many people who buy them to do modifications and make the car a sort of personal project - to have something that is unique and didn't just role off an assembly line.

The type of modifications show what interests the person with car - power modifcations like an upgraded exhaust, advanced turbos or adjusting the turbo pressure with electronics to get improved performance. For others they may prefer cosmetic improvements - not necesserily trying to make th car look fast, but better than stock and there are competitions for this type of thing.

Some people like to buy a home audio system from Curry's. Others prefer component. It's not about how loud the component system is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Imbrezes are about 280-290HP and civics vary about 80HP up to 180HP probly.
    The civics are nothing special at all, they just do my head in:rolleyes: Imprezas are fast cars, 4 wheel drive and fairly big. They would be maybe 160HP more than your avarege car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Please tell me everything about cars.......

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

so maybe we could do list of cars speed/bhp...

would be interesting for me to get a feel for the cars available out there.

1. Subaru Impreza - 290 bhp
    2. Subaru Forester - 120 bhp (turbo - 170 bhp)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You'd want to be more detailed than that, given that they have a wide range of engines. i.e. the 1.6 impreza ain't going to be making 290bhp :D

• Advertisement

ok, point taken...

if anyone filling in list, put in model etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

My E39 M5 has 400bhp and my Audi S8 has 384bhp as far as I know. Personally I'd prefer a powerful car than just a fast one, a lot of the fast ones are tuned to within an inch of their lives and soon run out of steam whereas a powerful car won't even break a sweat. I remember racing a Honda Type R with my M5 in the good old days when you could race and the guy pushed his car so hard that he actually blew his engine. I'll admit it was fast but it didn't last.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Toyota Altezza is a nice 2.0 litre and puts out about 255 bhp, love the toyotas as well, great cars

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

2. Subaru Forester - 120 bhp (turbo - 170 bhp)3.....
    A beautiful car (the turbo), the best I ever had, and three years later I still regret selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

so maybe we could do list of cars speed/bhp...

would be interesting for me to get a feel for the cars available out there.

1. Subaru Impreza - 290 bhp
    2. Subaru Forester - 120 bhp (turbo - 170 bhp)

Should probably list torque (and explain it) then too. Torque is what pulls you and your car from a standstill, under acceleration etc. Old mantra is "buy BHP, drive torque"..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I could never see the major attraction for massively powerful cars in Ireland unless you are into track days in a big way.I dont think we have the space or need to use major power a lot of the time. 160bhp per ton would do me fine.

In terms of the common powerful motors out there heres a few:

STI Impreza - 276bhp
    Lancer Evo - 276bhp
    E46 M3 - 343bhp
    E36 M3 3.2 - 321bhp
    Integra Type R - 180bhp
    Mark 5 Golf GTI - 200bhp
    E60 M5 - 507bhp
    Focus ST - 220bhp
    530d - 220bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Not only have you got Torque and BHP. But you also have to factor in the weight distribution..

The question initially asked is too open - can you narrow down what you're looking to find out?

i.e. why are imparea's/Civic's more inclinded to be 'Boy Racer' Cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The best way to answer you question is to dig out a recent car mag and look at the back. All these details are in there. Autocar for 4 euro in the shops should do the trick.

just tryin, for myself and others to get a feel, maybe from a compiled list, which cars i, and others, might like based on certain characteristics such as bhp, torque, 0-60 time, top speed, mpg, etc...

i think it would be a nice piece of info if it could be compiled neatly for cross referencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

Have a look here if you want to compare the performance figures for some cars.

www.letstorquebhp.com

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

chris85 wrote: »
    Toyota Altezza is a nice 2.0 litre and puts out about 255 bhp, love the toyotas as well, great cars

Standard factory Altezza with the Yamaha Beams engine produces around 220bhp afaik. Given that we only use 95RON unleaded here you could probably loose around 20bhp off of that figure. Still not bad though for a 2.0 litre N/A engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

02 audi A4 2.4 petrol V6 170 bhp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Audi S4 344 bhp
    Nissan skyline R34 GT-R 280 bhp(official) 327(real)
    07 Skyline / Infiniti G35 GTR expected to reach in excess of 450 hp
    Nissan 350z 313 HP
    Corsa OPC 200 bhp
    Seat leon tfsi cupra 240bhp
    Ford sierra rs 500 224bhp standard
    07 Volvo v70 t6 285bhp
    Volvo s70 t5r 250bhp
    850 T -5R 240bhp

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Veyron has 1001bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

junkyard wrote: »
    I remember racing a Honda Type R with my M5 in the good old days when you could race and the guy pushed his car so hard that he actually blew his engine. I'll admit it was fast but it didn't last.:)

That must be a lie. Didn't you know there has never been a single recorded instance of a vtec engine failing, that's right 0% have failed.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

junkyard wrote: »
    My E39 M5 has 400bhp and my Audi S8 has 384bhp as far as I know. Personally I'd prefer a powerful car than just a fast one, a lot of the fast ones are tuned to within an inch of their lives and soon run out of steam whereas a powerful car won't even break a sweat. I remember racing a Honda Type R with my M5 in the good old days when you could race and the guy pushed his car so hard that he actually blew his engine. I'll admit it was fast but it didn't last.:)

I don't agree that this post is in any way a fair reflection. I know type r Honda's and non-type R Honda's that are pushed within an inch of their lives day in, day out, and never ever miss a beat. Yer man's one was obviously a dogged piece of dirt.
    I agree that outright power from large capacity engines is more enjoyable, but the fact is that tomorrow I could buy and run a Type R no hassle, where as I could buy but not run an M5. Plus look at the new price difference between them, you can't knock the Honda for offering such performance for the price.
    Also, Impreza Turbo WRX are 220bhp approx. The STi's are 280 odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Triangle wrote: »
    Not only have you got Torque and BHP. But you also have to factor in the weight distribution..

The question initially asked is too open - can you narrow down what you're looking to find out?

i.e. why are imparea's/Civic's more inclinded to be 'Boy Racer' Cars?

Most boy racers follow the heard, that's all. When I was buying my first car, I couldn't get insurance on anything over a 1.4, I priced around and drove a few and the Civic ticked all the boxes for me. If I were in the same situation today, I'd still go for the Civic. Lots of boards people love knocking Hondas and say they're over rated, but I couldn't find a better 1.4 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

More about Power/Weight ratio. Wasnt there a big thread/table on this a while back?

these arent available to ordinary punters but wouldnt it be great if they were!!:D

http://cars.uk.msn.com/News/Top_ten_article.aspx?cp-documentid=1304640

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Veyron has 1001bhp.

Technically on the open market but impossible to get, even with the 1.3 million price tag in your wallet you will find it extremely difficult to get.

But I agree by far the best production car in the world. the W16 engine in it is amazing.

But may stick to achievable cars here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I'm certainly no longer a 'boy' and only very occasionally a 'racer', but my Impreza is kicking out about 270 with the mods, and it certainly could take a whole lot more - there is very little I come across on a daily basis that can keep up, but the way it grips is amazing and makes up some of the difference over more powerful cars. Most of the actual 'boy racers' are in 'classic' shape Imprezas, Early Evo's (II-IV) or Lancer GSR's. Insurance is cheap enough for me (people are quite surprised), but I would say it's probably restrictive for anyone under 25. Also, if you keep your foot in, the MPG plummets.

As Biro sort-of wrote I think a lot of the Civics/Corsas etc. that are around with baked bean cans for exhausts are just 1.4's with an extensive Halfords makeover, as opposed to Type-R's or anything good :rolleyes:

The fastest thing I have come across in Ireland was an R34 Skyline on the M1 last year, the acceleration just seemed improbable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

I'm going to do my best to piss as many people off as possible now :D

All Imprezas are silly...yes silly! I've always taken the view that you can either look reasonably good in a car or a complete plonker. Unless you're a girl, young, and very fit, you look inhernetly stupid driving an Impreza and might as well wear a baseball cap and spit out your window :p
    It's a silly looking car with a ridiculous spoiler and it's rotten to drive as well...clutch is horrid. Anyway...regardless...that spoiler is just ridiculous!!! As are those stupid gold alloys.
    Yes, I appreciate that they can go like stink and all the rest. From a rallying perspective I appreciate their worth. But as road cars...it's akin to staple gunning a large plastic penis to your forehead ;)

All White fridge like Jap Import monstrosities...that includes that nasty looking Altezza are also abominations that should be struck off the allowed list of cars on Irish roads. And what is it with Civics?? Yeah...great little car. Great little hatchback. But why does every skanger in Dublin have to paint something revolting on the bonnet and stick an exhaust the size of a two bed semi on the back!!!??? :confused:

Anyway...maybe I'm just an old fashioned bigot at heart :)
    I'll go with what an earlier poster said and say that power is more important than speed. And there is most definitely a place for power in Ireland. Top end speed doesn't matter very much. Mid range does...the ability to boot when required, overtaking etc...and for motorway cruising.

Last part of my rant coming up...
    We're a nation of people who don't understand cars. Someone said it recently somewhere else...cars to the majority of Irish people are modes of transport. We want reliability and nothing much else. It's unfortunate really...we have the worst roads in Europe. And we don't look after our cars. Oh and when you do...some bastard comes along and scrapes it cos his jammer isn't as nice and he feels you're probably getting above yourself!!

Getting off soapbox...dissappearing into the shadows...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Gatster wrote: »

As Biro sort-of wrote I think a lot of the Civics/Corsas etc. that are around with baked bean cans for exhausts are just 1.4's with an extensive Halfords makeover, as opposed to Type-R's or anything good :rolleyes:

very true, do see alot of civics with type r badges on them that are clearly not type r cars, i drive a integra type r and i know i get labelled as a boy racer which is really unfair as i'm definately not a boy racer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

CarLover wrote: »
    I'm going to do my best to piss as many people off as possible now :D

All Imprezas are silly...yes silly! I've always taken the view that you can either look reasonably good in a car or a complete plonker. Unless you're a girl, young, and very fit, you look inhernetly stupid driving an Impreza and might as well wear a baseball cap and spit out your window :p
    It's a silly looking car with a ridiculous spoiler and it's rotten to drive as well...clutch is horrid. Anyway...regardless...that spoiler is just ridiculous!!! As are those stupid gold alloys.
    Yes, I appreciate that they can go like stink and all the rest. From a rallying perspective I appreciate their worth. But as road cars...it's akin to staple gunning a large plastic penis to your forehead ;)

mmm... I sense envy :p

Not all imprezas are "silly looking car with a ridiculous spoiler (...) clutch is horrid (...) spoiler is just ridiculous (...) those stupid gold alloys".

Example:

2_0_R_Sport_Saloon__2006__large.jpg

2.0, 118 kW @ 6400 rpm, 186 Nm @ 3200 rpm, 40+ mpg, 4 doors, a real boot, symmetrical AWD: perfect family saloon and a damn side better value than a same-size/spec Avensis/3-something/A4 for the money.

As for "rotten to drive"... yup, definitely envy... But hey, don't mind me: keep buying other makes, it keeps 'em cheap for us connaisseurs :D

Of course, I should add that Scoob finished with the big-spoilered, lookit-me affairs in 2006, introducing the D Spec edition (as replacement for the previous WRX STi). Whereby those monstrosities to which you alluded should not be considered any differently from the "Halforded" Corsas/Civics/Integras ;)

Advertisement