Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fastest/most poweful cars on the open market

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Originally Posted by 'CarLover'
    I've always taken the view that you can either look reasonably good in a car or a complete plonker
    If you buy a car because of how you look, you're hardly a 'CarLover'. A troll perhaps, but not a car lover. I don't have gold alloys, I do have a 'ridiculous spoiler', but in the context of the car, it looks right.
    and it's rotten to drive as well...clutch is horrid
    Now you really are having a laugh, and in the context of Impreza's, this is where they are often at their best:
    Mid range does...the ability to boot when required, overtaking etc...
    Enlighten us further, what do you drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

Lol...now I'm a troll...nice :) Just my opinion lads...I've a right to have one....even if you don't like it.

No envy on my part to be honest. I already drive a nice car. It's no Aston Martin but I haven't reached that level of wealth just yet...Lots of poke etc...and a sensible boot as well! It's a beamer...325Ci...
    Feel free to call me a hairdresser etc... ;)

Anyone who thinks they don't drive a car for looks is fooling themselves. A car is no different to any other mass marketed product so cut the bull lads. Doesnt matter who you are. Even an oul dear will look at a little Yaris or Fiesta and think...yep...that suits me just fine. All of these things are based on our perception of how we feel about our car and it's aesthetic looks...coupled with it's driving characteristics if you're an enthusiast!

I stand by my comments having driven both an STI and an EVO8 a few years back. Rotten as an everyday car. Great if you have an open road. Crap if you're in Dublin traffic most of the time. For me...me lads...not ye...there's a balance between car with lots of poke and something that's good as an everyday. But hey...each to their own...
    And yes...the spoiler still looks ridiculous. It's there for downforce...whilst breaknecking around forests and dirt tracks at 100mph.

Before ye reply lads and jump down my neck for dissin' your motor...a lot of it was tongue in cheek...hence the abundant use of smileys.
    But yes....I do think a lot of Imprezas look really really stupid...despite being able to appreciate their capabilities...

edit: ambro25 - I'll admit that's one of the least horrid looking Imprezas I've seen to date ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

CarLover wrote:
    Anyone who thinks they don't drive a car for looks is fooling themselves. (etc.)

Again, please stow the XXXL brush away if you don't want to be called a troll ;)

I don't drive the (exact same as pictured above) so much for looks as (IMHO) the best (only?) choice of family saloon with one all-important trump over any alternative currently on the market: real 4WD in a sensibly-sized car.

BM's X-series (I'm not talking about the X5 or X3, but the rare-as-hens-teeth 3--X or 5--X series) have never proven reliable, and Audi A-whatever Quattros, while decent cars themselves, are nowhere near in terms of value for money. Can't think of any others.

Ask yourself (which may be difficult: from your choice of ride, do I take it you have yet to have a family?) : you need something saloon-sized and a decent boot, you want permanent 4WD (IMHO one of the most important safety features you can get with any car), but you don't want MPV/SUV (coz the ride and driveability are gonna be sh1te) - what are your options?

That I like the look of Imprezas (sensible ones) is an added bonus, but kid yourself not - I'd still be buying them even if they looked like Mondeos or Beemers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I stand by my comments having driven both an STI and an EVO8 a few years back
    No offence, but did you own these and drive them everyday - if so, fair enough, otherwise you can't really comment. I have no idea what a SMART car is like as an everyday car, although I did drive one once.
    Anyone who thinks they don't drive a car for looks is fooling themselves...it's aesthetic looks
    it's aesthetic looks, not your aesthetic looks. I think you are actually deluding yourself here, not everyone thinks like you. I have bought cars because I liked how they looked, but haven't ever seriously thought, 'people will think I look like X in this'. I'm sure in the eyes of some people they think 'Skanger' when they see me, but I know I'm not, so don't care. If your statement was true, why on earth would I want people to think that?
    A car is no different to any other mass marketed product so cut the bull lads
    People get emotionally attached to cars, I've yet to meet someone who felt the same about their TV.

I had a 323i Coupe, probably the best all round car I ever owned, but I drove a '02 325i Coupe with the M-pack before I bought the Impreza, and just thought 'I've been here before', and as an enthusiast, wanted to move on.

Back on topic, is the SSC Ultimate Aero TT, not the most powerful/fastest road-legal car in the world nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

ambro25 wrote:
    2.0, 118 kW @ 6400 rpm, 186 Nm @ 3200 rpm, 40+ mpg, 4 doors, a real boot, symmetrical AWD: perfect family saloon and a damn side better value than a same-size/spec Avensis/3-something/A4 for the money.
    That's all well and good apart from the reference to the it being the same size as the Avensis/3-something/A4 when the impreza is a class smaller. An octavia 1.8T 4x4 would be a more honest comparrison for size, performance, specification and price.

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote:
    That's all well and good apart from the reference to the it being the same size as the Avensis/3-something/A4 when the impreza is a class smaller.

Does not compute :confused:

Comparison (Impreza 2006 vs Avensis 2006)
    Wheelbase, mm : 2620 vs 2700
    Length, mm : 4415 vs 4645
    Width, mm : 174 vs 176
    Height, mm : 1475 vs 1480

A "class smaller" than these is an Astra / Golf / other hatch.
    alias no.9 wrote:
    An octavia 1.8T 4x4 would be a more honest comparrison for size, performance, specification and price.

Is another body for an A4 quattro.

Back on Topic - Corvette Z06 with LS7 aluminum-block 7.0 Liter V8 (505 hp and 470 lb.-ft. of torque).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

ambro25 wrote: »
    Again, please stow the XXXL brush away if you don't want to be called a troll ;)

Alright...okay...it was early in the morning ;)
    Ask yourself (which may be difficult: from your choice of ride, do I take it you have yet to have a family?) : you need something saloon-sized and a decent boot, you want permanent 4WD (IMHO one of the most important safety features you can get with any car), but you don't want MPV/SUV (coz the ride and driveability are gonna be sh1te) - what are your options?

That I like the look of Imprezas (sensible ones) is an added bonus, but kid yourself not - I'd still be buying them even if they looked like Mondeos or Beemers :D

No...you're right...no family yet. Honestly...if I were to need the extra seats and access to baby seats etc...I'd go for a nice 530i or something. I'm not completely hung up on Beamers...I just like the 5 series...
    4WD wouldn't be on the cards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

I don't agree with all of the comments made by "CarLover" but I happen to also drive a BMW 325Ci and I have an 18 month old child and another on the way, there is plenty of room in the boot and in some ways it is almost easier to strap a child in their seat in this car (with two doors) than it is with a 4 door.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR FQ400. 405 bhp, 355 lb-ft of torque 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds :D Faster off the mark than a Carrera GT, Pagani Zonda, BMW M3. And probably handles better too. ;)

edit: And all that out of a 2.0ltr 4 Cyclinder turbo engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

High&Low wrote: »
    I don't agree with all of the comments made by "CarLover" but I happen to also drive a BMW 325Ci and I have an 18 month old child and another on the way, there is plenty of room in the boot and in some ways it is almost easier to strap a child in their seat in this car (with two doors) than it is with a 4 door.

If thats the family car prepare to sell! I had a 320 4 door and when the second baby came it had to go. Got the wife a scenic and bought a h/back for myself. :D

• Advertisement

Does not compute :confused:

In that case, let me help you a little.
    A "class smaller" than these is an Astra / Golf / other hatch.

Exactly, the figures you quote are for the new impreza hatch. Subaru has changed the embodyment to a hatch to give it broader appeal in a segment dominated by hatchbacks, such as the golf, astra and focus. It's easy to pick on the avensis, the oldest swinger in town, up against the new impreza. A new avensis is due soon and will undoubtedly follow the mondeo and passat upwards in size.

In terms of a comparrison with the main competitors in this class,

Impreza hatch v's Golf Mk V v's Current Astra hatch v's Focus MK II hatch
    Wheelbase, mm : 2620 vs 2578 v's 2614 v's 2640
    Length, mm : 4415 v's 4204 v's 4249 v's 4342
    Width, mm : 1740 v's 1759 v's 1794 v's 1840
    Height, mm : 1475 v's 1485 v's 1500 v's 1447

The recently replaced Impreza saloon, the one you posted a picture of above, is comparable with the previous generation saloons in the same class, though probably quite poorly in terms of interior space, it's well shorter in the wheelbase than the astra and focus.

Recently replaced Impreza saloon v's Bora v's Previous Astra Saloon v's Focus MK I Saloon
    Wheelbase, mm : 2525 vs 2513 v's 2606 v's 2615
    Length, mm : 4415 v's 4376 v's 4252 v's 4362
    Width, mm : 1740 v's 1735 v's 1709 v's 1699
    Height, mm : 1415 v's 1446 v's 1425 v's 1430
    Is another body for an A4 quattro.

The in addition to the octavia being smaller everywhere except in the boot, mechanical layout of the A4 and Octavia are very different. The A4 has a longditudinally mounted engine while the octavia has a transverse mounted engine like the golf its based on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

My ickle MINI Cooper S works (My own one, not the company one) is putting out about 220Bhp, and 245 nm of torque, so it can hold its own against the larger cars. But here's the rub ... a larger car (Lets say a 4.0 v8 5 Series) doesn't work anywhere remotely as hard, and will keep accelerating at 140mph+ when I'm hitting my limit. So it's horses for courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Last 3 Cars:

Beetle V5 - 2.3L - 170BHP - 162ft/lbs Torque (3200rpm) - 1382KG
    Audi S4 B5 [stock] - 2.7L - 265BHP - 260ft/lbs Torque (1850rpm) - 1540KG
    Audi S4 B5 [Stage3+ tuning] -2.7L - 420BHP - 375ft/lbs Torque (3000rpm) - 1540KG (estimates)
    VW Phaeton V10 - 5.0L - 313BHP - 550ft/lbs Torque (2000RPM) - 2555KG

They Stage3 S4 had instant and surging power in its powerband, but you had to be a master of manual gear changes to use it in low rpm or from a stop. The Phaeton has a more laggy response, but its like a bungie cord, little slack then a wallop of power. With its low RPM (its a diesel) you are always in the power band or very close.

alias no.9 wrote:
    Exactly, the figures you quote are for the new impreza hatch.

Erm. No. The figures I quoted are for the 2006 saloon model (which I own). It only seemed fair that I would compare against a 2006 Avensis saloon model.

I'm not 'picking' on "the Avensis, the older swinger in town", I'm just briefly explaining why I don't consider them to be in different classes/segments: it's a saloon, it's not small like a citycar, it's not shortish like a hatch, it's not huge like a 5-series and up... is all. Fair enough? If you want to sleep sound and well, safe in the knowledge that you put me right for the sake of 10 centimeters or whatever... whatever floats your boat.

As for anything 'new' / 'latest', I haven't played top trumps for nigh on 30 years, so do please excuse me if I don't keep up with last week's or last month's latest and greatest from manufacturers ;)

And the "new" Impreza hatch is f*cking horrible, that is for sure.

@ Ned78 - now that sounds like a barrel of fun, and certainly more accessible/practical than many other supers in this thread :)

Erm. No. The figures I quoted are for the 2006 saloon model (which I own). It only seemed fair that I would compare against a 2006 Avensis saloon model.

There's a mistake in the figures you quoted then.
    I'm not 'picking' on "the Avensis, the older swinger in town", I'm just briefly explaining why I don't consider them to be in different classes/segments: it's a saloon, it's not small like a citycar, it's not shortish like a hatch, it's not huge like a 5-series and up... is all. Fair enough? If you want to sleep sound and well, safe in the knowledge that you put me right for the sake of 10 centimeters or whatever... whatever floats your boat.

Sorry for being a bit over top. It's the engineers curse, spotting incorrect data, and jumping in, sometimes a bit to heavy.
    The thing that annoys me is the practice of dealers in this country passing of some cars as being a segment higher in ireland, than they are sold everywhere else. Another example is when dealers try to tell gullible buyers that the seat ibiza was the same as a vw golf or passing off the octavia as a passat.
    And the "new" Impreza hatch is f*cking horrible, that is for sure.

We'll agree on that. I saw one in the flesh recently and they look even worse than in pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

mazda rx-7 Tiwn turbo ( FD model )

340-250 hp... it is only limited by the 170-180 top speed , 5-speed gear box.... oh and your driving skills :rolleyes:

between 7500 -14000 depending where you buy it from and the mods it has.... (keep an eye out for ones with veilside gear on em cause there parts pretty expencive and worth every penny )
    though id i was modding id get a older rx-7 or a old AE86 and stick a 3roter block in and beat Any " sports " car and the open market....

if there not your cup of tea get a dodge charger and restore it ( cars start around 10 k without restoration costs plus its nct exempt and Should have classic insurance.. )

if your still not happy get a e30 bmw... less traction , more action... and they are a pretty fast car. stock. modded there insane.

Advertisement