Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN, 2 browsers and vista

Options
  • 04-11-2007 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

When I had XP on my lappie I could log into work over VPN and browse websites via the work proxy using IE. This would allow me to view intranet sites at work but prevent me from reading blocked websites. If I wanted to view boards.ie I could fire up Firefox and with no proxy configured I would be browsing the net without being blocked by work proxy; the firefox traffic going around the VPN.

Now I have loaded Vista and setup the exact same scenario but Firefox does not seem to pass around VPN. Alltraffic goes through work connection and thus filtered.

ANyone experience similar and can point me to where I can fix this - or is it the usual Windows "by design".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

calling all gurus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭wandererz

hmm... work gave you an upgraded vista machine?

Chances are that they also disabled split tunnelling on the VPN. If they did, this is generally a config change done at head ofice on the VPN concentrator or firewall.

The VPN adaptor/client then enforces the policy.

Split tunneling is there for a reason (or rather the ability to disable it).
    It enforces the corporates policy on its own machines no matter where they may be located and it helps to prevent malicious people/software hijacking the VPN tunnel.

I would suggest getting your own PC for personal use or perhaps a Nokia Internet tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭wandererz

however, i feel a bit apologetic after that last one (bear in mind you being the cause of many an IT persons nightmare).

Go to the TCP settings of the VPN connection then Advanced & remove the "use remote gateway" checkbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I really don't think I am that person you think I am. Done my time in all flavors of IT support. Just cause an IT head has the admin password it dont automatically make them an IT genius.

Thanks for the help - but tcpip properties is not available in the VPN client. I got Vista in work OK via a pilot program...beginning to regret signing up as i discover a lot of software no longer supported by the company/vista. Might have to reimage soon.

Advertisement