Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sbs 1 virtual radar

Options
  • 04-11-2007 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Anyone else got one of these, i bought one from Martin lynch and son this week. It took me ten mins to install on the laptop and when turned on i was tracking aircraft as far away as off the galway coast, east as far as east midlands in uk , south as far as coast of ireland and same up north. If interested in scanning or receiving aircraft this is a great piece of kit. I hope to get the antenna up a bit higher next week to get even further afield. I should put a link to the website but dont know how to (big thicko me) its made by kinetic avionics and as i say i got it from martin lynch and son in england. If anyone else has one we can share set ups for best results.
    regrds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

any chance of a screen shot of it working?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

http://www.kineticavionics.co.uk/sbs-1.php

sbs-1-neu.jpg
    Wimo are are also good value and reliable
    http://www.wimo.de/cgi-bin/verteiler.pl?url=sbs-1-virtual-radar_e.html

Just copy link in address bar (Highlight and Ctrl-C) paste in Message Ctrl-V
    Same as edit menu

• Registered Users Posts: 29 FTO

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about getting one of these but i wasnt sure if they would work in Ireland, what kind of traffic do you get? is it all airliners or will you get smaller planes like Aer Arran and the like and does it track helicopers?

Also Airnav have something similiar out, it seems to do the same job, Does anyone have this? is it better/worse? :
    http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=7477

Many thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pilslager

Hi FTO, This is a great piece of kit, i have it bout two weeks now and have logged 3,250 aircraft. As far as i know airnav does the same thing but you have to be connected to the web at all times whilst it is running ( anyone can correct me if i am wrong) with this it is stand alone, just run the cd supplied, connect the box to your pc,connect the aerial and thats it. Even with the desktop aerial it works fine but i got an outdoor one for further coverage.It will work in Ireland or eorope. It works on line of sight for a distance of over two hundred miles, depending on the lay of the land where you are living. For instance at home here i can track an aircraft from glasgow scotland all the way into dublin untill it goes below six seven hundred feet then i lose it, but thats because i am bout 20/25 miles away. I brought it to work with me last week in cavan and found i could only get the aircraft landing and taking off at about two or three thousand feet cause the lay of the land between cavan and dublin is full of hills and valleys. The trick is to get the aerial as high as possible. It tracks any aircraft that transmits mode s signals. It wont track military aircraft for securty reasons, you can see them on the data log but not on the radar screen. from what i have been reading on kinetics forum the smaller aircraft will have to be mode s equipped as and from march 2008. I hope ths answers some of your questions. If you are interested go to kinetics website linked somewhere above and spend a couple of hours lookin around, you wont be disapointed.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

I know this thread is old but just came across it. For those of you who do have an SBS-1 I've written my own piece of software which will display your data in Google Earth. Check it out at http://www.trackaircraft.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Ho chi feen

Does it track Helis?

Like coastguard Rescue 117?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kenwood

For Rescue 117 and the other heli's in EI use

www.marinetraffic.com/ais

it tracks the heli's when they use AIS (Automatic Identification System )

Denis

Advertisement