Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackboard Down???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Breezer wrote: »
    It's back. At least the front page is showing, but I can't log in, it keeps telling me my details are incorrect. Anyone else managing to log in yet?

Edit: No no, wait, now the log in form won't load. At least they appear to be working on it.

gone again.................
    Due to unforeseen circumstances access to the Blackboard E-Learning Environment is unavailable this morning.

UCD IT Services are currently working on a resolution and we will post a status update at lunchtime today.

We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

blackboard is now apparently "Under Construction"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

It's been "under construction" several times over the weekend. The service has also been "unavailable," the connection has been "closed" and the page simply hasn't been available at times as well. Occasionally it's been working fine, although most of the time when it appears to be our login IDs are seemingly invalid. So I wouldn't set too much store by what you see when you try access it.

I'm more interested to know what time IT services consider "lunchtime" to be, since they're supposed to be posting a status update then. http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/serviceannouncements/index.html#Blackboard_Outage

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

UCD Connect seems to be down now.

Joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Connect is working fine for me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

A mate of a mate rang up to see what the story was. They tried to upgrade, it didn't work. But somehow/for some reason, they deleted the old Blackboard, so they were Blackboard-less. Seems they're trying to reinstall the old one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

I'm more interested to know what time IT services consider "lunchtime" to be, since they're supposed to be posting a status update then. http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/serviceannouncements/index.html#Blackboard_Outage

"We regret to inform you that IT Services lunchtime takes place from 11am until 6pm on the first tuesday of every november"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

karmabass wrote: »
    "We regret to inform you that IT Services lunchtime takes place from 11am until 6pm on the first tuesday of every november"

:rolleyes:

To be fair, they're probably having meetings at that time rather than having awesome lunches.

*edit*
    ITS hope to have the system back to 'limited service' by tomorrow.

Yeah i'm loving 'contingency arrangements'. It's getting rather annoying now, we were given lab time to do a project and it's proved useless because the lecturer can't get the project put up on blackboard.

More stress, ah nice one.

A mate of a mate rang up to see what the story was. They tried to upgrade, it didn't work. But somehow/for some reason, they deleted the old Blackboard, so they were Blackboard-less. Seems they're trying to reinstall the old one now.
    Does this mean the data will all be gone until the lecturers upload it again (i.e. never, since this is Prof. Bannigan I'm worried about)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

EDIT:Breezer got there ahead of me.

Does this mean the data will all be gone until the lecturers upload it again (i.e. never, since this is Prof. Bannigan I'm worried about)?

I presume all the info would have been backed up to import onto blackboard 7 so hopefuly *crosses fingers* they should be able to just put all that info back onto bb6

I presume all the info would have been backed up to import onto blackboard 7 so hopefuly *crosses fingers* they should be able to just put all that info back onto bb6
    I presumed that something this major and potentially disruptive wouldn't be done during mid terms - let's hope your presuming is better than mine! ;)

I presume I'm being somewhat presumptuous in my notion that someone in UCD is on top of these things. Ah well.

OT: Bannigan get's crankier by the year - he was so rude to one of my lecturers the other day, treated her like a school girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

But somehow/for some reason, they deleted the old Blackboard, so they were Blackboard-less.
    What a fuck up. If you're upgrading to a new system the ideal way of doing it is to setup a test environment that is a mirror image of the current environment and then apply the upgrade to the test environment. After lots of successful testing of the upgrade process to test environment, the upgrade is approved.

You then apply the upgrade to the live environment. AFTER you've ensured that a) you have all data backed up and b) a viable means of rolling back in the event of a failure.

Wonder where UCD went wrong. A rather embarrassing and painful situation at the mo it would seem. You would also have to question the decision approving such an upgrade taking place coming up to one of the busiest times of the year. Upgrades like these should be done outside of term time.

irlrobins wrote: »
    What a fuck up. If you're upgrading to a new system the ideal way of doing it is to setup a test environment that is a mirror image of the current environment and then apply the upgrade to the test environment. After lots of successful testing of the upgrade process to test environment, the upgrade is approved.

You then apply the upgrade to the live environment. AFTER you've ensured that a) you have all data backed up and b) a viable means of rolling back in the event of a failure.

Wonder where UCD went wrong. A rather embarrassing and painful situation at the mo it would seem. You would also have to question the decision approving such an upgrade taking place coming up to one of the busiest times of the year. Upgrades like these should be done outside of term time.
    But all that would make sense. This is UCD. Broaden your horizons.

Heh Heh,

Maybe by getting rid of bb for a while they're hoping we'll all develop either photographic memories or learn telepathically so they don't have put put blackboard back up thus saving them yet more money?????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

it dosnt matter. UCD will never speak anything but good of itself. There has been no decent information to the students regarding this outage and it has gone on far to long now to be acceptable.

Previous mistakes made by UCD have been irritations however this disaster, the week thousands of students have essays due, and require access to Blackboard is a disgrace. Already departments are handing out extensions while others refuse to provide hard copies of informations (and who can blame them).

And will they ever make amends for this .... i eagerly await my next update from the presidents office informing me of the success of this administration.

Personally a call for resignation would be appropriate.

G

edit: just received by staff
    "Dear Colleagues,

The following is an update on the current status of the Blackboard service.
    We are continuing to work on restoring the full Blackboard service however
    we anticipate by mid Wednesday morning to be in a position to offer limited
    access to staff members only. Access to this service will be restricted to
    on Campus and from staff offices."

Downloading facility for staff available. It seems that for the students it will be down for alot longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

F*ckin hell... there's some serious apes employed on the admin side of UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Hopefully they'll have it back up and running just in time to take it down again a week before the exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

This is getting to be beyond a joke. Luv=ckily my essays dont have to be in for three weeks, but still, I'd like to still have the titles, get started on what to read ya know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Mushy wrote: »
    This is getting to be beyond a joke. Luv=ckily my essays dont have to be in for three weeks, but still, I'd like to still have the titles, get started on what to read ya know.

Couldn't you just email your lecturer.

Our lecturer just said that IT Services have put in an alternative system until they get blackboard up and running.

Though apparently it's a bit messy so he hasn't be able to work the system yet.

Students will apparently be sent an email about it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Email sent to all staff:
    The following is an update on the current status of the Blackboard service.
    We are continuing to work on restoring the full Blackboard service however
    we anticipate by mid Wednesday morning to be in a position to offer limited
    access to staff members only. Access to this service will be restricted to
    on Campus and from staff offices.

This will allow staff to download content from Blackboard and make it
    available to students using out our file sharing system as an alternative.

We have made available a P: drive accessible through Connect, in the same
    manner as the H: and S: drives.

At this point in time Blackboard access will be restricted to downloading of
    content and accessing class lists only, updating of existing material is not
    currently supported.

An they're so good I got that email 17 times!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

I only got it once... :-(

I'd say Blackboard will be back up in january... 2012... when they find and train new monkeys to opperate the levers and cogs of the "GREAT MACHINE".

Not to mention all the virgins' blood they need to use as fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Someone better lose a job over this, there has to be some accountability here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

dajaffa wrote: »

An they're so good I got that email 17 times!
    LOL

mister popular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

mate of a mate rang up to see what the story was. They tried to upgrade, it didn't work. But somehow/for some reason, they deleted the old Blackboard, so they were Blackboard-less. Seems they're trying to reinstall the old one now.
    That was shockingly stupid of them. Its not even that they failed in upgrading it, its the fact that they didn't have any kind of contingency plan in place (why didn't they have a backup of bb6 so they could revert to it if a problem happened?!?) thats just so dumbfoundingly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

I think I'm about to loose 5% of a module because Blackboard was down. I couldn't get the documents to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Was it really so urgent to update blackboard they couldnt have waited for 6 weeks to do it when the exams were over and nobody had essays/assignments to hand in? UCD's administration somehow continues to boggle my mind in new exciting ways with its ineptitude, even in my 4th year here. YAY!

Advertisement