Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackboard Down???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Any chance of a cash refund from my whopping fees for this **** hole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

They say drive P: is available through UCD Connect, for when you're off campus - but it's not. On a PC at UCD, you should have drive P: mapped already, so just open P:\Classes like any drive. Some assignments are up there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

mloc wrote: »
    Someone better lose a job over this, there has to be some accountability here.

Well f*ck me, you've got no electronic notes online for a couple of days so you want someone to lose their livelihood?

Get a f*cking grip. Its a cock up, it happens, get over it, and climb down out of your own arsehole and into the real world for a little bit of f*cking perspective. Its a long way from the end of the world.

I'd hate to see how you'd get by if you had a real f*cking problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭irish.rugby.fan

ronanp wrote: »
    Well f*ck me, you've got no electronic notes online for a couple of days so you want someone to lose their livelihood?

Get a f*cking grip. Its a cock up, it happens, get over it, and climb down out of your own arsehole and into the real world for a little bit of f*cking perspective. Its a long way from the end of the world.

Will you chill with the language.

Losing their job is a bit extreme but theres no need for that.

I is absolutely ridiculous that it is still down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Man, with the amount of time they're taking to install it this upgraded version of Blackboard better be able to polish my knob and make tea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Okay maybe his view was a bit extreme but here's a reality check for you.

Do you honestly think that if someone in a private company was implementing a new system and failed to get it working leaving it's staff and clients unable to access either the new or old system for 4 days completely and half a day for limited access to staff only when the scheduled outage was to be 2 days that there wouldn't be some serious consequences for that person????? Because that's what we're talking about here.

This has effected 22,000 students and about 2,000 staff, that's a lot of people. So forgive him and a lot of us if we feel that this is a rather major screw up that they didn't have better contingencies in place. It took them two days after the scheduled return of the service to have a contingency in place.

They should have had a contingency plan such as the one they have now or indeed bb6 backed up from day one and if they'd thought it out properly have sent an email to staff explaining the contingency in case it was required prior to the outage.

If that had been done I'd say they're be a lot less complaints.

You'll have to get over the language, "irish.rugby.fan". This isn't a good old knees up with the old school rugger chums down in kielys. Naughty words creep in, and if its a problem, might I respectfully suggest ya f*ck off to disneyland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

stereoroid wrote: »
    They say drive P: is available through UCD Connect, for when you're off campus - but it's not. On a PC at UCD, you should have drive P: mapped already, so just open P:\Classes like any drive. Some assignments are up there now.

I could access it at home. no use to me though. There were only a few modules up on it, none of which I do

Okay maybe his view was a bit extreme but here's a reality check for you.

Do you honestly think that if someone in a private company was implementing a new system and failed to get it working leaving it's staff and clients unable to access either the new or old system for 4 days completely and half a day for limited access to staff only when the scheduled outage was to be 2 days that there wouldn't be some serious consequences for that person????? Because that's what we're talking about here.

This has effected 22,000 students and about 2,000 staff, that's a lot of people. So forgive him and a lot of us if we feel that this is a rather major screw up that they didn't have better contingencies in place. It took them two days after the scheduled return of the service to have a contingency in place.

They should have had a contingency plan such as the one they have now or indeed bb6 backed up from day one and if they'd thought it out properly have sent an email to staff explaining the contingency in case it was required prior to the outage.

If that had been done I'd say they're be a lot less complaints.

It is a cock up alright. Thats not what i've taken umbrage to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

P:/ yolk dosnt work for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    do you know what happens in the 'real world' when you recklessly fail to do your job properly?

you get sacked

and whoever the individual(s) directly responsible for this monumental disaster deserve to be on the dole queue next week, tough sh!t on them. they should have done their job properly by having something called ''a contingency plan' or 'a back up'..... but sure that level of intellectual thinking is just too much for our talented IT department :rolleyes: this is gross incompetence of the highest order and the consequences of these idiots are directly impacting on our education right now just 4 weeks before our exams

it's the same with the constant admin f*ck ups in this university, there's no accountability, no one takes responsibility and nobody is sacked, hence we continue to get this sh!t and people like yourself are so happy to put up with the low standards delivered in droves by this sub-standard university

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Umaro wrote: »
    Man, with the amount of time they're taking to install it this upgraded version of Blackboard better be able to polish my knob and make tea.

lol

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Why does the poster a few posts up think nobody should lose their job over it? It's a very serious matter and somebody high up in IT (like that Geneveieve Dalton who sent that email) should go for it.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    do you know what happens in the 'real world' when you recklessly fail to do your job properly?

you get sacked

This is not the premiership. It takes a lot to fire someone. Either some gross, gross, misconduct or a long history of failing to perform duties. Everybody cocks up, you have before, probably often, and you will again. Shocking stuff I know.

There are consequences to firing people. Firing someone will not bring back the 2 days of electronic notes you've missed. It may impact someones family and future employment prospects. And yes, i'm afraid their livelihood IS more important than your two days of notes. Whatever your parents may have told you about you being the most special little boy in the whole world is bo11ocks i'm afraid.

For all we know, and in all probability, the person or persons responsible for this failure are highly capable individuals who've overlooked something this once. It happens. Get over it. And get a job.
    and whoever the individual(s) directly responsible for this monumental disaster deserve to be on the dole queue next week, tough sh!t on them.

:rolleyes:

Red Alert wrote: »
    Why does the poster a few posts up think nobody should lose their job over it?

Why do others think they should? And what good will come of it?
    It's a very serious matter and somebody high up in IT (like that Geneveieve Dalton who sent that email) should go for it.

Bit of a prime example of shooting the messenger there don't ya think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

I need that thing to do an essay due for Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

and if its a problem, might I respectfully suggest ya f*ck off to disneyland?

I may be using that in real life pretty soon

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Sure, they should have had a good back up ready in case anything went wrong.

Luckily, I do have a backup of all the stuff I need for when things go wrong - am I really the only one?

Computers have a habit of breaking, and when you're prepared for that they have a habit of breaking in new and interesting ways. I'm not saying that they were or weren't prepared as I don't know much of the details but we should all be prepared for these things too - we did all have the chance to get a free USB key, plus many of us have computers at home or laptops to which we can save our notes and assignments etc., and that's without even mentioning making hard copies of things.

That said it sounds like some of the lecturers/departments are being more accommodating than others about all this, it couldn't hurt them to be a little bit more understanding.

I know I must come off as a bit of an ass-hole here... sorry 'bout that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

this is getting ridiculous!:mad:is Wednesday today!!

btw,in 21th century IT industry ,anyone can tell me is that a normal procedure that you upgrade the main system completely unless you are 300% sure it will work?i mean,shouldnt they have some beta version of new blackboard for trial,just in case situation like this happens??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

I could access it at home. no use to me though. There were only a few modules up on it, none of which I do

Yeah - P: didn't seem to be available through UCD Connect when I tried it at first, but it worked later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

The correct procedure would involve some combination of:

1) Testing the upgrade process on a seperate trial network to make sure it was doable
    2) Having the current system backed up so a quick rollback would be possible in case of emergency problems.
    3) Unless absolutely urgent, choosing to do the upgrade at a time when any possible delays/downtime would have the least possible effect on students/staff(ie Summer/Christmas/Midterm breaks).

But of course seeing as this is UCD none of this was done and of course nobody will be fired and no lasting repercussions will occur so the system can continue stumbling onwards :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It would be funny if the college received 20,000 extenuating circumstances forms as a result of this shambles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Just recieved another email there. I can't believe they actually think we have patience!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Blut wrote: »
    The correct procedure would involve some combination of:

1) Testing the upgrade process on a seperate trial network to make sure it was doable
    2) Having the current system backed up so a quick rollback would be possible in case of emergency problems.
    3) Unless absolutely urgent, choosing to do the upgrade at a time when any possible delays/downtime would have the least possible effect on students/staff(ie Summer/Christmas/Midterm breaks).

But of course seeing as this is UCD none of this was done and of course nobody will be fired and no lasting repercussions will occur so the system can continue stumbling onwards :rolleyes:

good to be told...i m wordless...b31.gif

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

So if somebody chooses to make a dogs dinner of their job we should be more worried about their livelihood - imagine say what'd happen if a monumental cock up like this occured in Aer Lingus or eBay for example. There'd be quite a few people getting walking papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Well f*ck me, you've got no electronic notes online for a couple of days so you want someone to lose their livelihood

Absolutely I do.

When you are responsible for the total loss of nearly 7 days of functionality for a system essential to the proper coursework of over 24,000 due to lack of proper planning and foresight, then yes, accountability must be recognised and the individual in charge should resign immediately.

This is November. We are less than 4 weeks away from an exam period. It is totally inexcusable for such an event to happen. Totally, utterly inexcusable. This is not an accident, this is negligence and as such heads must roll. If this was a private company, the individual would be named shamed and probably have a hard time finding employment in the field again. And rightly so. Incompetence of this nature is exactly what UCD should be weeding out. UCD is not a charity, it is an educational institution with mission-critical systems in place to ensure high standards. When these systems are jeopardised due to ineptness of staff, these staff members must be removed. We are talking about the incompetence of staff resulting in the disruption of over 24,000 peoples day to day activities, on a serious level impacting not only teaching but assessment and information dissemination also.

What do you suggest, pat them on the back and say "better luck next time, don’t worry about it"?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

I find it painfully ironic that the university that has been pushing for the digitisation of ABSOLUTELY everything cannot get a single thing done correctly.

For the 3rd year running online Registration was a shambles and this blackboard fiasco is yet another example of the incompitence of the University Administration.

Besides the fact that this is really gonna screw over SO many students in UCD, I'm finding the whole situation painfully funny. Honestly, is anyone actually surpised that this has happened?

This is my fourth year in UCD and I have seen some amount of cock ups, short falls, promises broken and lies told. And I honestly think its time for UCD students to demonstrate about it. The levels of contempt and disrespect which the students of UCD are treated with is phenomenal.

So many people on this message board bitch about Brady, Nolan, Butler and the rest of the gang of imbeciles who think fancy neon lights and buzz words make a university, ought to take the opportunity to speak in one voice. Bring out the media, radio, TV, newspapers; invite them to come to UCD and the students should come out and demonstrate, not just once but continuously. Especially with CAO applications just over the horizon.

Put the fear of students back in the university and they'll stop treating us like bank account numbers for our Giros and start treating us like students.

I'm fed up and I know all of you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I find it painfully ironic that the university that has been pushing for the digitisation of ABSOLUTELY everything cannot get a single thing done correctly.

For the 3rd year running online Registration was a shambles and this blackboard fiasco is yet another example of the incompitence of the University Administration.

Besides the fact that this is really gonna screw over SO many students in UCD, I'm finding the whole situation painfully funny. Honestly, is anyone actually surpised that this has happened?

This is my fourth year in UCD and I have seen some amount of cock ups and short falls. And I honestly think its time for UCD students to demonstrate about it. The levels of contempt and disrespect which the students of UCD are treated with is phenomenal.

So many people on this message board bitch about Brady, Nolan, Butler and the rest of the gang of imbeciles who think fancy neon lights and buzz words make a university, ought to take the opportunity to speak in one voice. Bring out the media, radio, TV, newspapers; invite them to come to UCD and the students should come out and demonstrate, not just once but continuously. Especially with CAO applications just over the horizon.

Put the fear of students back in the university and they'll stop treating us like bank account numbers for our Giros and start treating us like students.

im up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

This is my fourth year in UCD and I have seen some amount of cock ups, short falls, promises broken and lies told. And I honestly think its time for UCD students to demonstrate about it. The levels of contempt and disrespect which the students of UCD are treated with is phenomenal.

Sounds like a plan but where to begin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

begin at the beginning, im proposing a motion for council when it takes place next, i would ask that all of those in support of such a campaign attend council (as is your right as members of the union) and bring other people who also support the idea of a campaign/demonstration. I may start a seperate thread tomorrow morning when I've ironed out a draft motion.

Advertisement