Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't get a Fujitsu Siemens laptop

• 04-11-2007 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

GFs dad got a Fujitsu Siemens laptop. I want to set it up so it automatically connects to the wireless router every time he turns it on. To make it easy for him to skype/e-mail etc cos he's just started.

But in the most retarded thing i've seen in ages, the laptop CANNOT be configured to connect wirelessly automatically. You're forced to press function + 2 to enable the wireless adaptor EVERY time the laptop is turned on. This may or may not turn wireless on (there is no sound nor indication of this so it's easy for him to accidentally press it more than once, turning wireless on and off again). And even when wireless is enabled, you've got to open the network list and select the network manually. Annoying for me but downright ridiculous for someone who isn't too well up on computers.

Totally, completely 100% retarded. Vista is bad enough but things like that make it even harder.

http://download.fujitsu-siemens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19950&sid=90b704d11217dd08244e400a05d96adb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Check the Wireless card under Device Management and look at its properties, sometimes in the advanced tab theres several options for power mode , (ie. always on etc) might be worth a look to see if it can remain active from boot, even check the bios for any settings pertaining to the wifi card.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is this a Vista thing? My FS laptop (XP) connects to my router once it's turned on - unless I have turned off wireless before shutting it down previously. It remembers the last setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Tried the power suggestion and thought it had worked - the wireless light remained on after the laptop was restarted.

BUT the wireless light doesn't mean anything. The network icon on the bottom right has a red x through it.

To connect you have to go through connect to network then let windows diagnose problems. Windows says that wireless capability has been disabled. Clicking that allows windows to re-enable wireless settings.

Which works. All the while the wireless light is on despite the wireless capability being disabled.

But this isn't very user friendly. And there is no way my gf's folks will do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

is there software connecting for you? i mean is it windows wireless connection that your using?

i had some crappy dell software connecting for me. i got rid of it, and only used windows connection manager.

its very simple and has the ability to connect automatically.

Advertisement