Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will I pass NCT with taped mirror

Options
  • 04-11-2007 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

I was out for a meal with the girlfriend and parked in swords in Colomcille's estate. I left it there from 9-10.30 and came back to find some skobe had kindly kicked the mirror off the car.

They'd done 3 or four cars in a row.

Luckily, the motor appears to be fine, it's an electric mirror, and the glass didn't crack either, so I got that popped back in, but the body coloured plastic moulding won't reattach to the A pillor, as the screws are broken. So i've got it taped up with gaffer tape.

The unit is fine in that the glass sits ok, I can adjust it with the electric controls, and it is secure enough in that driving I don't think it will be a problem, wheras I won't be putting it through a brush car wash as i'm pretty sure that'd break it.

But would that be the sort of thing that I could fail the NCT over? Should I get it replaced in advance of the NCT, and roughly how much would it cost for a new plastic housing, body coloured?

Oh yeah, and if i ever come across a skobe in the act of, breaking mirrors off cars, keying cars, dancing on the roofs of cars after the nightclub, they will be finding the fastest way to the hospital.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Not sure about whether you'll pass/fail the NCT.
    Previous things I've got failings on from various cars, where
    1) no rubber grip on the clutch pedal, just bare metal
    2) no rubber airtight seal on the petrol tank, even though it had a metal "valve"
    thing.

On the last NCT they were pushing and pulling at all the body panels around the car, to ensure they were secure. So, they'd probably give the mirror a bit of a shake to see how well it is connected.

My guess is 60% likely to fail or at the very least an "advisory", but I'm just a normal motorist, not in the trade or anything. Ps. In the past I've picked up replacement wing mirrors in scrap yards for twenty quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I failed mine because my mirror was loose. Like yourself, two days before the NCT was due, the kids on my road hit the car with a football knocking it off! Grr

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

If it does fail then it's only a visual retest, drop down the the centre within 30 days with the job done and they'll pass it and give you your cert. I wouldn't bother doing anything till you either pass or fail for certain.

Advertisement