Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

slow internet access

• 04-11-2007 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I got a new 2Mb bb package of eircom yesterday and have been trying to setup network access. I have a new Dell inspiron 9400 with a BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX NIC . I run Kubuntu (the new one). When i do a speed test i get 1.6 to 1.7MB/s consistantly, i was able to download google earth at over 200KB/s today so i think the network must be strong. However when i try to browse the web, using either Firefox or Konqueror, it crawls, occastionally i get pages up almost instantly, but 9-times out of 10 it can take 15-20secs for a page to come up. Google Earth seems to work fine and is quick, but the likes of youtube can be very slow to come up, and yet when i select a file, it plays no problem, even though it could take a minute to get the video i want. Any ideas anyone, this is really strange. It is a new install of Kubuntu, i previously had openSuse 10.3 installed but changed it (i am between distros at the moment) and i don't dual boot with windows.
    All of the diagnostic checks come up with a pass for the Netopia Router, i just can't see what the problem is. And to add insult to injury, i plugged in my work laptop running XP and it is fine grrrr

Sean

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

Sounds like a DNS problem. To be sure list Eircoms DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf ....... 213.94.190.194 and 213.94.190.236

Ive noticed some Google apps ( talk ) still work when there are dns issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Make sure you've disabled IPV6.

In Firefox, in the address bar, visit about:config. Change network.dns.disableIPv6 to false
    . Exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

I salute you both! The DNS server wasn't setup, i should have seen this before, i had it manually setup from using my vodafone 3g modem, and i disabled ipv6 - web seems fine now! (for now)

Cheers,

Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 georgelowden

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mine was slow 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

ethernet wrote: »
    Make sure you've disabled IPV6.

In Firefox, in the address bar, visit about:config. Change network.dns.disableIPv6 to false
    . Exit.

Should it be set to true or false, mines set to false :confused:

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You got me. When it's enabled, things seem to crawl. So you want to enable the setting in about:config whereby it's disabled.

Just as long as it works ... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

PogMoThoin wrote: »

You want it to be disabled so therefore set it to true. Just as a matter of interest why does this not matter in windows? I always have to change this configuration when I install linux but whenever I install firefox on windows it works just fine when set to false.

bman wrote: »
    You want it to be disabled so therefore set it to true. Just as a matter of interest why does this not matter in windows? I always have to change this configuration when I install linux but whenever I install firefox on windows it works just fine when set to false.
    Eh, um, I guess Linux is just trying to get us all using IPv6 before we all run out of IP addresses. Yes, that's it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

ethernet wrote: »
    Eh, um, I guess Linux is just trying to get us all using IPv6 before we all run out of IP addresses. Yes, that's it. ;)

You'd make a good PR man/woman!

You managed to make problems in the architecture look like they're trying to advance internet technology, well played!

Advertisement