Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom providing vdsl2 in 2007?

Options
  • 04-11-2007 3:17pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Note a question not a statement. I was just reading this page on wikipedia. About half way down the page it says.
    In Republic of Ireland, eircom is planning to start providing VDSL2 within the year 2007.

I know wikipedia isn't exactly a reliable source of information but it piqued my interest and I thought I'd ask. Does anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dude

if you know how to edit the wiki change it to

"eircom had announced plans, in late 2006 , to launch VDSL in 2007. Given the regulatory complexity involved it is unlikely to launch before 2009
    "

link the "regulatory complexity" phrase to this picture of a Poodle

web_Alpaca%20Poodle.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Poodle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Alpaca: a breed of domesticated ungulate. Distant relative to Camel and close to Llama.

Not a poodle.

However if certain folk asked to design you or sell you a poodle, I suppose you might get one of these instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

watty wrote: »
    close to Llama.

Not a poodle.

YEah thats exactly what I thought. Anyway we are getting WAY off topic here lads.

I think it's fairly relevant.

The eircom article looks like it was written by an eircom / Comreg team. There have been recent changes, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eircom, but I wonder will an edit war arise?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Comreg are the mangiest poodle on the planet, That is the best mangy poodle pic I can find .

There will be no VDSL in Ireland in 2007. Edit the fukin wiki :(

At the moment on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_High_Speed_Digital_Subscriber_Line_2
    In Republic of Ireland, eircom announced their plan to start providing VDSL2 within the year 2007. However there is not yet any firm date for any deployment as of November 2007.

Wikipedia does not even allow Informed Opinion. Nor can you cite your own research. I'll have to set up an Institute for my research and get others to cite me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

watty wrote: »
    Alpaca: a breed of domesticated ungulate. Distant relative to Camel and close to Llama.

Not a poodle.

However if certain folk asked to design you or sell you a poodle, I suppose you might get one of these instead.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Dont think you'll be seein VDSL from Eircom for at least another year.AT LEAST! They haven't even started limited internal trials. We can live in hope. Just dont hold your breath for your 50meg line lads and lasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 sTuMbLeD

Maybe this article inspired those Wikipedia edits?

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2007/10/28/story27699.asp

Geoff Shakespeare, Eircom's chief technology officer -
    "We have 37 exchanges initially marked for VDSL... to facilitate speeds of 25Mbs... representing almost 600,000 working phone lines"

also

"... in the next three years, more than half of all the company’s phone lines would be upgraded to facilitate speeds of 12Mbs"

Just to confuse us more about Eircom's intention, the articles title states - Eircom plans 25Mbs broadband by 2001! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No it's a misprint, 2010
    Some people might have VDSL2 by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 sTuMbLeD

Yeah, obviously misprint, unless Eircom installs flux capacitors alongside VDSL in the exchanges and speeds of 88Mbs enable some sort of Back to the Future time warp :D

This statement from their CTO sounds like an excuse for not getting on with the job right away-
    "We have 37 exchanges initially marked for VDSL and are waiting for the business case for enabling them to be signed off."

Can anyone explain what they mean here by "business case"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

http://wikiscanner.virgil.gr/ This will help you identify edits made by eircom to the wiki. Lots of IP's coming up though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://wikiscanner.virgil.gr/ This will help you identify edits made by eircom to the wiki. Lots of IP's coming up though.

http://wikiscanner.virgil.gr/f.php?pagetitle=Very+High+Speed+Digital+Subscriber+Line+2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

interesting.

seems like

"In Republic of Ireland, eircom is planning to start providing VDSL2 within the next year."

was put in by:

Eircom Ltd (Cork, Cork)
    Added Ireland/eircom to list
    2007-03-09 15:09:25

But someone has changed it to:

"In Republic of Ireland, eircom announced their plan to start providing VDSL2 within the year 2007. However there is not yet any firm date for any deployment as of November 2007."

can't be arsed to look right through and see who edited it tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

vibe666 wrote: »
    interesting.

seems like

"In Republic of Ireland, eircom is planning to start providing VDSL2 within the next year."

was put in by:

Eircom Ltd (Cork, Cork)
    Added Ireland/eircom to list
    2007-03-09 15:09:25

But someone has changed it to:

"In Republic of Ireland, eircom announced their plan to start providing VDSL2 within the year 2007. However there is not yet any firm date for any deployment as of November 2007."

can't be arsed to look right through and see who edited it tho.

don't get your hopes up that it is an eircom staffer - looks as though it could be any old fool who saw the news story and decided to write it.

You'll find if you try to edit it more negative/accurate, the WP:NPOV gestapo will revert your edits :)
    There are a lot of articles, that if an accurate protrayal of facts sounds negative, the WP:NPOV gestapo revert.
    Wikipedia is a living encyclopedia*, so consensus can change. The primary method of determining consensus is discussion, not voting. Wikipedia is not an experiment in democracy, anarchy or any other political system
    This puts Wikipedia in common with many Sects. Ultimately what this means is there is a Hierarchy and their decision is final. Not facts or democracy. Wikipedia only pretends to be Web2.0 (though Wikipedia's faked Web2.0 may be better than real Web2.0)

(* I spell it encyclopaedia, but maybe that's the Merkians)

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Ignore_all_rules

Advertisement