Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gainsborough Shower 10kw?

Options
  • 04-11-2007 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I currently have a Triton Delta Elec shower, but its on its last legs......I was in B&Q the other day & they have a Gainsborough 10.5kw one on sale for €179, but would I need 10.5kw? what upgrading would i need to consider, fuses etc? I think the Delta is an 8.5kw shower, & the water flow isn't great (a steady drissle !).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

derby7 wrote: »
    I currently have a Triton Delta Elec shower, but its on its last legs......I was in B&Q the other day & they have a Gainsborough 10.5kw one on sale for €179, but would I need 10.5kw? what upgrading would i need to consider, fuses etc? I think the Delta is an 8.5kw shower, & the water flow isn't great (a steady drissle !).

Hot water flow is a fn of the inlet temp of the cold feed and the power of the element so, all other things being equal 10.5 will give a better flow than 8.5

Re the cable size: u need to establish what size the existing cable is:

The basics are
    Power = volts by amps

so 8500 = 230 by amps so amps = 37 amps
    10500 gives 45.6 amps

You also need to see what size the existing breaker is on the board

this link will give u other things to think about
    http://www.kevinboone.com/cableselection_web.html#table:nominalcurrent

If in doubt either replace with same or get a sparks.

ps: I know the linked info is based on UK standards but the advice/concepts and math are all applicable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

everything you have said i agree with ircoha, but I just want to add (as you mentioned) that it is the cable size that is the issue, you may need to upgrade your cable, upgrading the fuse alone is not the answer, as a fuse/circuit breaker protects the cable, so if you simply upgrade the fuse/breaker you could be allowing too much current through the cable causing it to over heat, fire etc. ( i know that you stated this iroca but I thought it necessary to stress it again)

BTW if you liked Triton you should check out their higher wattage showers, in some cases it is a lot easier to replace electric showers when you stay with one brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Stoner wrote: »
    everything you have said i agree with ircoha, but I just want to add (as you mentioned) that it is the cable size that is the issue, you may need to upgrade your cable, upgrading the fuse alone is not the answer, as a fuse/circuit breaker protects the cable, so if you simply upgrade the fuse/breaker you could be allowing too much current through the cable causing it to over heat, fire etc. ( i know that you stated this iroca but I thought it necessary to stress it again) [No problem: it needs to be stressed.]

BTW if you liked Triton you should check out their higher wattage showers, in some cases it is a lot easier to replace electric showers when you stay with one brand.
    will edit my post as it is not crystal clear that the cable size is what is at issue here.

Just on the replacement I dont know what u get in this product for 179 in B+Q: they are going through the horrors in UK...

As Stoner says if u stick with same model water and power connections will prolly be in same spot as old one for entry into back of shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭derby7

Cheers, thanks for the advice, I think I damaged the PRD device (see no. 14 @ http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/shower-spares/triton/delta.html) ie. when I turn on the shower, water just pours out of this pipe.......any ideas... :(

Q. Whats the best price on a Triton T90i, (seems to be the most popular) ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

there is a place at the red cow roundabout (behind the Ibiz hotel, if you are in Dublin) they usually have good prices

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BoylerMan

Check out this web-site (I have no connection to them). http://www.showers-direct2u.co.uk/index.html

I ordered a Aqualisa power shower (10.5KW) and a 4Bar Stuart Turner Pump last Thursday from them and it arrived on Friday Morning. Not even 24Hrs later. Couldn't believe it ! Delivery was £21 from UK. Even with this it worked out much cheaper than buying same models here. The Shower, Pump & delivery came to 1030Euro. Saved about 400Euro on what I was quoted here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭sugark

BoylerMan wrote: »
    Check out this web-site (I have no connection to them). http://www.showers-direct2u.co.uk/index.html

I ordered a Aqualisa power shower (10.5KW) and a 4Bar Stuart Turner Pump last Thursday from them and it arrived on Friday Morning. Not even 24Hrs later. Couldn't believe it ! Delivery was £21 from UK. Even with this it worked out much cheaper than buying same models here. The Shower, Pump & delivery came to 1030Euro. Saved about 400Euro on what I was quoted here..

Boylerman, am hoping to get an Aqualisa as I had one in my last flat and they are fantastic. I was hoping to get the Aquastream Thermo (81340xx) power shower with integrated pump so I wouldn't have to get a seperate pump. This is probably a dumb question but do I need a seperate pump? I'm looking for the kind of shower that will knock you on the floor it's so powerful (like Kramer in that episode of Seinfeld...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BoylerMan

No need for a separate pump. I got the pump to supply 2 other (mixer valve) showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭sugark

Thanks! Thrilled to hear that they deliver that fast - may be having lovely power showers by Christmas!

Advertisement