Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip tattoo - How do I prepare?

Options
  • 04-11-2007 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

I went in to InkWell yesterday, and talked to John about my orangutan tattoo. I had been planning on getting it on my lower back, but John said that he would be hesitant to do a face on a concave surface - he's done a few before, and if you have a large curve in your back, as I do, it ends up distorting horribly when you stand up. So it shall now be on my thigh.

The thing is, I was all prepared for the back. I'd done research for months, reading all the lower back experiences I could find on BME. I looked through the tattoo galleries last night, and I found hardly any thigh experiences. I know it'll probably be less painful than the lower back, due to a considerable amount of padding, so I shouldn't be so nervous, but it's an unexpected change...

That said, I'm definitely going through with it. I'd just like a wee bit of advice about the procedure. What I should wear is the biggest question in my head at the moment - both for being decent while the tattoo is in progress, and for not hurting it afterwards.

Oh, and by the way, I would HIGHLY recommend John if anyone is nervous about their tattoo - he's very nice and friendly, he takes an interest in the tattoo, and he makes you feel comfortable. InkWell is a brilliant shop - I highly recommend it. And don't be put off by the lack of people there - it's not cos of lack of talent, it's just cos they're only just open.

Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

hip or thigh?
    wear nice loose fitting clothes, youl most likely have to remove your trousers so nice underwear will also help :p

main thing to do is relax :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

Oops, that title should have said Thigh tattoo...

Thank you for the words of wisdom, wilburt. I am doing my very best to relax, but the thought of being half nekkid in a room full of people is not the most calming of thoughts! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

i presume they have a seperate room for more sensitive areas.
    If you think about it though its not gonna be as bad as before, you are getting it done on your thigh, no bone that can be touched by a needle.
    is this your first tattoo by the way?

It is indeed. The first session's going to be about 3 hours. And I know it'll be less painful, but I was all prepared for getting it on my back, and now suddenly it's going to be somewhere else, and I don't have much time to prepare for it... It should be interesting though:o

Here's a picture of my orangutan. There'll also be some vines around him. He'll be a circle with a diameter of about 8 inches...

[edit: I am happy though! And excited! I realized that this post made me sound like I didn't want him, and I really do. I'm just a little nervous]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

suppose it's too late to say that with colours like that, you should so be heading for darren in colourworks, but anyway, im looking forward to seeing how it comes out, i know you've put loadsa thought and effort and preparation into this, make sure and post it up for us, can't wait to see :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

A skirt would probably make it easiest. A nice loose one so it won't rub off the tat when it's finished. So curious to see this when it's done. When you going for it? I'll still come along if you want, or have you convinced the OH that he likes needles yet? Heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Well if you're really that worried about being decent then wear one of your swimming costumes, whether single piece or 2 piece, under your clothes, then even if you have to take off everything else on your lower half you'll be no less decent than you are when you go swimming or to sun yourself on the beach. People have no problem with seeing people in swimwear on the beach/in the pool so I can't see how it'd be indecent when getting a tattoo done.
    Lets face it, tattoo-artists and piercers have to let go of the concept of decency when you think of some of the places on the body they'll have to ink/pierce so TBH I wouldn't worry too much about such things, just make sure not to show up in your most grotty kit unless you really don't care what they think.

Thanks for all the help everyone:)

Attol, I've convinced himself to come in with me for the stencil bit, to give us another pair of eyes, and then to meet me afterwards, but he thinks he won't be staying. I think different:D Want to meet up to see it in its half-finished glory some time next week?

And thanks farohar, the swimming togs idea is a good one - unfortunately, I generally wear board shorts and a bikini top, which won't work here:) I'll hunt around and see if I have an old swimsuit anywhere...

Thanks, everyone!

Advertisement