Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Genuinely seeking work" - a question

• 04-11-2007 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering about this... it says here that to receive the jobseeker's benefit or allowance, a person must be "genuinely seeking work". I was wondering if this means that you must be looking for any work at all that any employer would give you or if you can wait and only apply for job offers where your qualifications lie.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I read somewhere before and was told: You don't have to take any job; you can wait and apply for jobs in your field but you must demonstrate an effort.

http://www.inou.ie/download/pdf/wtw_2007_2.pdf
    Genuinely Seeking Work legislation means that an unemployed person must be genuinely seeking employment appropriate
    to their age, education, physique, location and family circumstances.
    Although, it does later contradict with:
    Circumstances in which a person may be
    considered as being not available for work
    include:
    - Looking for one type of work only
    - Refusing work because of the going rate
    for the job
    - Unwilling to take up an offer of reason-
    able short-time employment
    You'll be expected to attend an interview with the Dept. and win-over the interviewer... I've never heard of anyone losing the benefit/allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

OK, thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Karoma is correct, you can look for jobs within your field of qualification first and if unsucessful you will have to broaden your search to other areas you may have an interest in or are qualified for. You must demonstrate your genuine efforts in a work search questionaire and you may be interviewed as regards the steps you have taken to securing full-time employment. People can actually be disallowed from receiving benefit if they do not satisft the genuinely seeking work condition. All the conditions have to be followed in order to continue in payment.

The best thing to do is to look at the Department's Website for further information.

Advertisement