Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clean ceiling before painting?

Options
  • 04-11-2007 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭

can anyone advice me what is the best way to clean ceilings before painting them or is there any need at all..

my ceiling is quite dirty and i don't know whether to just paint over it without cleaning first or not. not looking forward to the cleaning part though if i have to.

any suggestions, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

It all depends on what you say is dirty, do you mean cobwebs etc? Or do you smoke and ceilings are quite yellow? Mostly kitchen ceilings get a build up of grease,which then you need sugar soap to clean them, this also cleans yellowing if you are heavy smokers...

If its just generally dark and some cobwebs then just get a sweeping brush and clean cobwebs with it and give ceilings two coats of emulsion.

But sugar soap is the way to go I'm afraid if they are yellow from smoke and grease, you'll be pi$$ing in the wind if you just paint over it as it will burn start through.

I have found a paint which is swiss made called "Classidur" great for painting over bad ceilings. It very low odour, but it is expensive afaik.

http://www.ptarmigan.ie/html/classidur.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

mad m wrote: »
    It all depends on what you say is dirty, do you mean cobwebs etc? Or do you smoke and ceilings are quite yellow? Mostly kitchen ceilings get a build up of grease,which then you need sugar soap to clean them, this also cleans yellowing if you are heavy smokers...

If its just generally dark and some cobwebs then just get a sweeping brush and clean cobwebs with it and give ceilings two coats of emulsion.

But sugar soap is the way to go I'm afraid if they are yellow from smoke and grease, you'll be pi$$ing in the wind if you just paint over it as it will burn start through.

I have found a paint which is swiss made called "Classidur" great for painting over bad ceilings. It very low odour, but it is expensive afaik.

http://www.ptarmigan.ie/html/classidur.html

thanks, it is dirty from smoking and from a range so it needs a good clean.

Advertisement