Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EL 2008 transfer/rumours

• 04-11-2007 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Crazy time looms:

Confirmed

Rice from Bohs to Rovers.

Unconfirmed

Maguire Murphy Mulcahy O Connor M Foley to Rovers.
    Heary and JP Kelly to Pats
    Damien Lynch to Pats
    M Quigley to Leeds
    Fahey to Bohs

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I daresay there'll be a lot of changes at Shels, again.

There'll be interest in some of our players from Premier Clubs I think.

Chambers should be in the Prem already.

Mark McColluch is a quality LB who may come under scrutiny.

Mark Leech is a decent striker, as is Bisto Flood.

God knows who we'll get in though, we'll definitely need a keeper, as O'Dowd will probably retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Unconfirmed:
    Gavin Whelan from Drogs to Shams
    Darren Stapleton from Kildare to Shams

Be big clear-outs at Longford and Bohs. Longford as they'd all but certain to be playing 1st Divison Football and Bohs as there's rumours flying everywhere of dressing room fights after the Longford game (last Friday) and players not respecting Sean Connor (who would:D)

:eek:

Gav, you finally have access!

DesF wrote: »
    :eek:

Gav, you finally have access!

Yup:D

My eircom League knowlegde can now be shared on boards.ie:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1st division knowledge :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Rumour:
    Ian Bermingham to Stockport County

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

whoever gets dave mooney has a quality striker.

if only we had the money:(

And Sean Prunty. Another quality player at Longford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Harps will probably struggle to keep Gethins if they don't get promotion this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Shels: heard rumours about Tony O'Dowd, Jim Crawford and Alan Murphy retiring, wait and see suppose. heard nothing about incoming players yet. afaik, still as of this week no current player signed up for next season, saying that it wouldn't particularly bother me if there's another mass winter exodus as long as the wage bill is sliced in half.
    never been impressed with him when i've seen him play but he must be doing something right with all the goals he's scored this season. :confused:
    DSB wrote: »
    Harps will probably struggle to keep Gethins if they don't get promotion this season.
    by a distance the best player i've seen in the first division this season. the likes of Derry, Sligo or Galway would do well signing him

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I think there are 2 lads at Limerick who could do a job in the premier

Pat Purcell, a centre half. I was in at a few games this season and the amount of headers he wins is unbelivable.

Ross Cosgrave, a young tricky winger. Would definitely do job for top tier team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Adam Hughes our captain is leaving , Probably going to one of Drogs or Pats or maybe Bohs if Connor wants to keep on his dream of having a team of midfielders

Shels: heard rumours about Tony O'Dowd, Jim Crawford and Alan Murphy retiring,

Tony I'd say is 90% gone, we were sposed to be getting that Pat's U21 keeper in the Summer and he was going to retire then afaik.

I can see Jim being kept in some kind of half player half coach capacity. Next manager I'd say, but his legs aren't up to playing every week, that has been evident all season.

But Alan Murphy :confused: wtf? He's only 29, and still is a good player to have on the books, especially with all the youngfellas around, I certainly haven't heard anything of the sort, but hey, maybe you have more ears to the ground than me.

heard nothing about incoming players yet.
    Yeah, we'll have to take the dregs again I'd say, but Pats are letting all of their part timers go, Rovers will be getting rid of a few too I'd say, and we may be able to attract some players from other 1st Div clubs who fancy a return to Dublin? I wouldn't say Keely will have too many problems attracting players, the question is can we afford them?
    afaik, still as of this week no current player signed up for next season,
    Well, most of the Summer Window signings who are on permanent contracts, not loanees, signed 18 month contracts, so they'll be there. Mark Leech is reportedely very happy at the club and wants to be there next season too. I watched our U21s last night, and some of them lads will be coming back into the first team squad. Gartland, Brophy to name just two. Also Peter McGlynn who has been on the bench for the seniors in recent times, Joey O'Neill too. Goalkeeper Kyle Delavari looks solid. Yeah, there's a decent bit of talent in the U21s. Question is will they hack it in the seniors yet? Maybe we'll have no choice.
    saying that it wouldn't particularly bother me if there's another mass winter exodus as long as the wage bill is sliced in half.
    It's a balancing act alright, I'd like to see us keep the bones of this season's squad, as I feel if we have this years experience, plus another season then we might just push for promotion, get rid of some of the dead wood, and maybe get one or two extra, better if possible, players in. Also another one or two loanees of the class that Noel Haverty supposedly has wouldn't go amiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Unconfirmed:
    Gavin Whelan from Drogs to Shams
    Darren Stapleton from Kildare to Shams

Have no ideal who 'Shams' are, but those two are supposed to be heading to Rovers next year.

As the only part time club in Dublin (Shels and UCD fans, don't bother) we will have the pick of some decent players as Pats and Drogs have decided to become totally fulltime, leaving us as the only decent option for them and we can all take our pick as the entire Bohs squad decides enough is enough and jumps ship to get away from Blackie Connors. Heary, Joxer and Crowe to SPA FC if the rumours and sightings are to be believed.

Keep up the good work Blackie. :D

Have no ideal who 'Shams' are, but those two are supposed to be heading to Rovers next year.

So, let me get this straight. You can't take a bit of banter, but...
    Blackie Connors
    Keep up the good work Blackie. :D

You can give it?

Maybe this Blackie Connors you are referring to manages The Shams?

So, let me get this straight. You can't take a bit of banter, but...

You can give it?

Correct. Full marks for observation. If only you were as quick to notice what Olly was up to with the books. :eek:
    Maybe this Blackie Connors you are referring to manages The Shams?

No, he wishes. He mismanges the D7 vermin and its hilarious.... ;)

Correct. Full marks for observation. If only you were as quick to notice what Olly was up to with the books. :eek:
    That's a nice dig at a dead man right there.

I'd expect nothing more from a Rovers fan.

BTW, where are yiz playing next season? Deal negotiated with us for Tolka, but even we aren't sure if we there next season.

You might end up going begging to the D7 Vermin? Will they have yiz, because SPA certainly won't.

That's a nice dig at a dead man right there.

He was involved in fraud. I met the man on numerous occasions, had dealings with him and had a great deal of time for him and was at the funeral, but he nearly killed your club. And you all stood by and let him.
    BTW, where are yiz playing next season? Deal negotiated with us for Tolka, but even we aren't sure if we there next season.

You might end up going begging to the D7 Vermin? Will they have yiz, because SPA certainly won't.

Its a secret at the moment, but none of the above.

So it will be you doing the begging then, wont it..... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Eircom League has to be worse than Serie A for insane transfers. Players just seem to move frantically. Not much loyalty(there are exceptions like Hunt).

Carini to Inter in a transfer exchange for Cannavaro-perhaps the looniest transfer ever.
    Carini was a very promising keeper at the time, but man, how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Heary and JP Kelly to Pats
    Damien Lynch to Pats
    M Quigley to Leeds
    Fahey to Bohs
    I'd be surprised if Kelly doesn't go to England. Healy would be a great signing, but he's not going to leave Bohs without a good reason. I think most Pats fans are resigned to losing Quigley. Leeds probably wouldn't be a bad move, assuming they get promoted this year. But Fahey to Bohs :eek:! Now that would be tragic - our player-of-the-year in my opinion.

I think the problems at Dalymount are being blown out of proportion - there's the makings of a top side there. I expect them to challenge for the title next year.

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if Kelly doesn't go to England. Healy would be a great signing, but he's not going to leave Bohs without a good reason. I think most Pats fans are resigned to losing Quigley. Leeds probably wouldn't be a bad move, assuming they get promoted this year. But Fahey to Bohs :eek:! Now that would be tragic - our player-of-the-year in my opinion.

I think the problems at Dalymount are being blown out of proportion - there's the makings of a top side there. I expect them to challenge for the title next year.

http://www.saintsforum.net/

loads on it there, 3 year contract signed alledgley he wants parity with M Keane if he gets it he will stay.

kdjac

I finally done it, I finally registered for that forum kdjac. Can you get one of your Admin buddies to activate it please...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Prunty apparently going to Pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

djpbarry wrote: »

Depressing times ahead, looks like all of our decent players are leaving due to hating Connor. The majority of his signings have been muck, Murphy the exception. Why would Fahey leave Pats to join a team going backwards with no UEFA and no Setanta?

Should never have sacked Kenny.

If Connor is let go, Bohs will find it extremely hard to attract a decent manager of any description.

Why would any manager go there?

The money from the ground deal still hasn't materialised, as soon as results start going any way wrong the fans are on the manager's back and the board listens.

A poxy mess of a club, and that's coming from a Shels fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

adam hughes to drogs is near certain so everyone in drogheda seems to think.

the only other player i heard mentioned was powell from bohs but i cant see that happening would love to sign him but i think bohs would only sell him to engerland.

all roumours
    steven bradley to pats
    steven gray to pats (brilliant centre half for whoever gets him)
    gavin whealan is released heard shams are interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

There was talk of danny murphy coming back to us in january, however he's since gone on loan to sinking ship Dunfermline, and therefore wouldnt be eligible under the three club rule that caught us out with Farrelly and Healy..

There were also rumours of Alan Bennett coming back, but i cant see that happening

Roar wrote: »
    There was talk of danny murphy coming back to us in january, however he's since gone on loan to sinking ship Dunfermline, and therefore wouldnt be eligible under the three club rule that caught us out with Farrelly and Healy..

So you will sign him anyway and then complain about it :)

kdjac

So you will sign him anyway and then complain about it :)

kdjac

hopefully, get our excuses in nice and early for next season :)

• Advertisement

hopefully, get our excuses in nice and early for next season :)
    The new manager has to take over first.

The new manager has to take over first.

heard the rumours, but Rico isn't going anywhere for a while I reckon..

Just up some stairs.

Just up some stairs.

dunno about that either, at his age we'd probably need a stair lift put in...

rumour has it the drogheda a tryin to land a big Gamble;)

redzerdrog wrote: »
    rumour has it the drogheda a tryin to land a big Gamble;)

yeah, he'd be sure to go an all :rolleyes:

gamble ain't going nowhere kiddo

• Advertisement

Shamrock Rovers released the following players: David Cassidy,
    Robbie Clarke, Jamie Duffy, Dave McGill, John McGuinness, Andy Myler,Dave O'Connor, Derek Pender, Alan Reynolds, Ian Ryan and Paul Shiels.

Two other squad members, Dean Lawrence and Ciaran Kilduff, remain
    contracted to the club but will be loaned out for the 2008 season.

from foot.ie

Jesus thats some amount of players. Think Seaneh may be right about Myler after all :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

But Alan Murphy :confused: wtf? He's only 29, and still is a good player to have on the books, especially with all the youngfellas around, I certainly haven't heard anything of the sort, but hey, maybe you have more ears to the ground than me.
    i just heard from someone he might be considering, mainly due to having a young family now and the trouble of balancing footy/work/family. Murph did retire from senior football at the end of the last season for that reason while still planning to play football at junior level until Keely gave him the call. like all current Shels players there's not one player on that team who is irreplaceable, Murphy had a mixed season for me but he even when he was playing sh!te he was one of the few who seemed to give a f**k so for that reason i'd wouldn;t mind seeing him stay but if he does go i'm not bothered either way
    Shamrock Rovers released the following players: David Cassidy,
    Robbie Clarke, Jamie Duffy, Dave McGill, John McGuinness, Andy Myler,Dave O'Connor, Derek Pender, Alan Reynolds, Ian Ryan and Paul Shiels.

Two other squad members, Dean Lawrence and Ciaran Kilduff, remain
    contracted to the club but will be loaned out for the 2008 season.
    Myler still has buckets of class, he would be a great signing for pretty much any other part-time team in the EL

i wouldn't mind Myler, Cassidy and Lawrence ending up at Shels next season money pending, from what i've seen of them all good players

Pender for Shels too please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Philip Hughes will be released by dundalk at the end of this campaign.

yeah, he'd be sure to go an all :rolleyes:

gamble ain't going nowhere kiddo

he wants out of cork and his first choice is a move to england and if that doesnt happen he will sign for drogheda

• Advertisement

and he told you that did he?

and he told you that did he?

its just what i heard from a person close to the club this is a rumour and guess what this thread is called "EL 2008 transfers/RUMOURS

anyway heard adam hughes was discussing terms today/tomorrow and looks certain to sign:D

drogheda are also after ken oman but cant see it happenin plus we already have jay gavin and graham gartland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Gartland is wanted by some English team I heard though

gustavo wrote: »
    Gartland is wanted by some English team I heard though

i am not surprised he is a class act. i havent heard this myself any idea who??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

doubt there is much truth in it, but I heard Reading.

doubt there is much truth in it, but I heard Reading.

since doyle and long moved every player in the league has been linked to reading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

redzerdrog wrote: »
    since doyle and long moved every player in the league has been linked to reading

Well they did take Bennett aswell .

Apparently left back, and Runner-Up in the player of the year award for Shels Mark McCulloch has gone to Galway.

Great signing for them.

Yeah that is heartbreaking.

http://www.shelbournefc.com/news.php?id=781

Open Message from Shelbourne Board of Management

To all Supporters and Friends

In the words of Frank Sinatra, “the end is near and we face our final curtain.”

This week marks the end of what can only be described as probably the most difficult season in our history; from the high of this time last year, winning the Championship; to the low of the passing of Ollie. This season will be one we all want to forget. Nevertheless, some good things did happen throughout the season which, hopefully, will give us some level of comfort for the future.

1. Finance

We gave Dermot a budget for players at the start of the season, which was generous in 1st Division terms but which was only a fraction of what we were spending in the Premier Division. In fairness to Dermot, he kept within that budget throughout the year and had he had the opportunity of obtaining the players he signed in June, at the start of the season, he would have made a serious attempt for promotion this year. Together with that budget, a lot of the old debts of Accolade Ltd had to be satisfied, some of which continue to have to be so. Therefore, it was necessary for us to draw down some advances from the developer of Tolka Park to maintain our financial stability throughout the year. We are currently discussing next season’s budget with Dermot and I must put it on the record to you all that we may not be in a position to offer Dermot the same budget that we were giving him this year for next season. With this in mind, people’s expectations must be realistic. Next season is going to be very difficult as only one team will be promoted. There is no playoff situation as three teams are being relegated from the Premier Division.

We all hope that next season we will make a challenge for promotion but I want you all to realise and understand that financial stability within the club is more important in the history of Shelbourne at this stage and that the honour of promotion may have to wait a little longer than we desire.

The problems that Shelbourne FC has accumulated over the past number of years have left us in a very precarious position and even though many measures have been taken this year, I have to emphasise that we are not yet out of the woods. Nevertheless, the Board of Management are determined to find a way for us all to get through this as painlessly as possible.

2. Licence Application

I would just like to inform you that Shelbourne FC Ltd completed their licence application on time and this was submitted by close of business on Wednesday 31st October. A word of thanks here to Mr Liam Ward, who is our Licence Administrator, for all his hard work in this process.

3. Ground Relocation

I know it sounds tedious and repetitive but Shelbourne FC is still in the process of trying to find a new ground for our club. It was a huge disappointment to the Board of Management that the Home Farm proposition fell through. A lot of work had been put in by the Board but more so by Dermot, who was heavily involved in exploring the acquisition of this site. Nevertheless, for their own reasons, the members of Home Farm Football Club rejected our proposal so we have to move on and we are at present doing feasibility studies on two other grounds but, for legal reasons, I am unable to name them at this stage. As promised previously, as soon as I have any definite word on a ground, I will inform you, but you must understand that some of these processes take time to come to fruition.

4. Ollie

The family of Ollie Byrne have specifically asked me to thank you for your outpouring of emotion throughout those dark days of August when Ollie passed away from us. They were deeply moved at your response and especially so at the game versus Limerick 37.

Ollie had faults, there was no doubt about that, but there is not one of us who can stand up and say that we are perfect and would not have done the same had the circumstances been presented to us. But from our association with him has come memories that many of us will never forget and long after the dark days have passed, these memories will forever live in our minds. Though I am angry with Ollie on certain levels, I will always be grateful to him for those memories and thank him for them.

5. Christmas Lunch

One of the clubs biggest fund raisers of the year will take place on 17th December at the Regency Hotel, Whitehall. It is our annual corporate Christmas Lunch, and this year’s guest speaker is Niall Quinn. It is always a great day, which sometimes stretches into a long evening, and I would be most grateful if you could ask or enquire with the company you work for if they would be interested in taking a table at the function. A table of ten costs €1,650 and, of course for companies, is tax deductible. We would of course welcome any individuals who would be interested in attending and this would cost €165 per person. All enquiries should be forwarded either to myself at 8205366 or to John/Ken at the club 8375536.

6. Season Tickets

Season tickets are now available at the club for next year. As always, Brian Nathan is your contact here and throughout the close season, these will be available from the club, together with the Weekly Coupons, which Brian also promotes.

These are just some of the ways in which you can help the club financially. As normal, sponsorship packages are available for next season, for example, Match Ball Sponsorship, Match Sponsorship, and Player Sponsorship. In this regard, please contact Niall Fitzmaurice (087 6379121) or John Phelan (086 3072000), who will be only too happy to help you with your requirements.

Finally, a number of 'thank yous' are very appropriate:

To my fellow Board of Management members, thank you for all your support and hard work throughout the year. It may not be seen by many and goes unnoticed but without the support of you all we would not have survived this year.

To Dermot, for taking on a job that many people would have refused and some did. You stood up and were counted when it really mattered and you deserve much credit for this.

To our fans who remained with us throughout the year. Your support has been tremendous and appreciated by everyone. There were times throughout the season when it was depressing but you still sang your hearts out, especially away from home; Monaghan comes to mind immediately. Thank you for this; it gives us all a lift.

To the players, we thank you for all your efforts throughout the year. Those of you who were with us at the start and who may not be here now, those of you who are here now and to those of you who will be with us in the future - Thanks very much for everything.

To all our volunteers, from stilesmen to security men, from teamakers to cleaners, every one of you play a huge part in our club and though you may go unnoticed by many, you are very much appreciated by the Board of Management. Thank you very much to you all, too many to name individually, but you all know who you are.

To the taxman, for having patience with us throughout the year.

To our bank manager, for not allowing us an overdraft.

To finish with, as this year comes to an end, let us look to the future and hope first of all that we will be safe and well, have a good Christmas, and look forward with anticipation and excitement to next season. From my point of view, I want to thank you for your support throughout the year. I appreciate your comments and your emails and am only too happy to receive them and take on board your suggestions. It mightn’t always seem apparent that we do listen, but we do and continue to do so. Take care, see you all next year.

Joe Casey (jmcasey@eircom.net)

On behalf of the Board of Management, Shelbourne Football Club.

/the most insane club post i have ever seen :O

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement