Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EL 2008 transfer/rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Has Ken Oman joined Bohs yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You have a very poor grasp of what Rovers did under examinership. Seeing as your club is also assetless and broke, surely you in the SSG should have done a much more in depth analysis of whether the examinsership route is the right one for shels. If not, why not and if so, how are you still making those outlandish claims?
    SSDG don't own the club, SSDG can't put the club into examinership.

It is my understanding that if the club were to go into examinership, then it would cease to exist.

We still hold the lease on Tolka Park, but Ossie Kilkenny and his Cohort Ivan Cofolla (the spelling may be incorrect here) have the agreement on the price of the lease. If examinership was entered into, our debts would have to be paid from the money they'd give us for the lease, a lump sum. Our debts are more than this amount, and aren't to the taxman. So getting to pay a percentage is less likely, especially the way the club treated it's debtors in the past, they would be unlikely to agree to a percentage payment, or would agree to a percentage payment which would see the club shut down.

SSDG has minimal, if any, say in how the BoM of Shelbourne FC goes about it's business. Sure, the new BoM would seem to be doing things in a much more transparent way, although there is an issue of some missing monies, which I don't know it it has been sorted.

Any money requested from SSDG by the club has to be approved by SSDG Membership (there are about 50-60 members). If we don't agree, then no dice, the club don't get the money.
    Basically Des, you seem like a decent bloke and someone I would love to have a pint with,
    Er, yeah thanks :D
    but you are way off on saying we 'had our debts written off' and if you are that wring here, what else are you wrong on?
    Ah come off it, "written off", "paying a percentage" and leaving ordinary fans thirty grand poorer. Same thing really? No?

OK, fair enough, the Examinership was legal, and proper. People were still left out of pocket. Is this not true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=1268117602

for the best rovers transfers news from the most pro manager in the league :D

kdjac

Pat Scully has a bebo page.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

DesF wrote: »
    SSDG don't own the club, SSDG can't put the club into examinership.

Thats my point, the SSG was established to buy a say, but never got it.
    It is my understanding that if the club were to go into examinership, then it would cease to exist.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Astonshing that the SSG havent even looked at this.
    We still hold the lease on Tolka Park, but Ossie Kilkenny and his Cohort Ivan Cofolla (the spelling may be incorrect here) have the agreement on the price of the lease. If examinership was entered into, our debts would have to be paid from the money they'd give us for the lease, a lump sum. Our debts are more than this amount, and aren't to the taxman. So getting to pay a percentage is less likely, especially the way the club treated it's debtors in the past, they would be unlikely to agree to a percentage payment, or would agree to a percentage payment which would see the club shut down.

maybe, maybe not. the point is you dont appear to have researched it. as you say, your assets are less than your debts, so you cannot lose by examinsership. the debtors will agree a percentage and you are out of the vicegrip that Mulden have over you.
    SSDG has minimal, if any, say in how the BoM of Shelbourne FC goes about it's business. Sure, the new BoM would seem to be doing things in a much more transparent way, although there is an issue of some missing monies, which I don't know it it has been sorted.

But the SSG arent in there getting a fans voice on the board....
    Ah come off it, "written off", "paying a percentage" and leaving ordinary fans thirty grand poorer. Same thing really? No?

OK, fair enough, the Examinership was legal, and proper. People were still left out of pocket. Is this not true?

Yes. But you are equating your uncle who got robbed by an individual who professed to have the clubs best interests at heart and all the other creditors of the club. not the same situation. your uncle gave a director a loan. thats not legally protected as its not worth the paper its (not) written on. not all debts were treated like that and you repeating it will not make it so.
    Pat Scully has a bebo page.

:D

maybe, just maybe, its a fake....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭raheny red

Ger Rowe was a very average player at Shels.

He could have been a hero, pity he didn't get a chance to shine. I loved him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Has Ken Oman joined Bohs yet ?

Yup.

http://www.bohemians.ie/index.php/club-news/oman-murphy.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

raheny red wrote: »
    He could have been a hero, pity he didn't get a chance to shine. I loved him :D

If you want his autograph I'll get it for you:D He lives around the corner from me:cool:

Thats my point, the SSG was established to buy a say, but never got it.
    Erm, yeah.

SSDG Has a representative on the BoM since September. So before you start your wise ramblings about the SSDG, try and get your facts right will you?
    Astonshing that the SSG havent even looked at this.
    Are you under the impression that I'm one of these people?

SSDG Executive

John Coleman (Chairman)

Frank Young (Secretary)

Fintan Leonard (Treasurer)

Paul Byrne (Vice Chairman)

Bernadette Frazer (Assistant Secretary/Treasurer)

Bernard Conagahan, Chris Sands, Harry Bradshaw

Joe O’Dwyer, John Frazer, John Wilson, Ken Moss

Because I'm not. I only joined the SSDG in August. I'm not party to any investigation into examanership, or not, as the case may be. I'm waiting for the AGM next week to find out what they are doing.

maybe, maybe not. the point is you dont appear to have researched it.
    Nope, you're right. I haven't researched anything.

But the SSG arent in there getting a fans voice on the board....
    Previous point. Representative on the BoM since September.

maybe, just maybe, its a fake....
    You reckon?
    What a silly, silly move for one of the best centre halfs in the eL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

killian brennan has signed for bohs
    steven grey signed for derry
    gavin whealan is going to sign for bray
    steven braddley in talks with falkirk and dundee are also interested

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

As a Drogs fan I just wish Paisley had said "No!"

There are some endorsements you just don't want for your team.

http://droghedaunited.ie/articles/1288/0000005060_2007_11_23_09_46_16.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

hahahaahhahaha

http://shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=790

Some players who have signed contracts for Shels for next season

Alan Byrne
    Alan Keely
    James Chambers - SWEET
    Stuart Malcolm
    Anthony Flood - Good stuff
    Mark O’Brien
    David McGill
    Philip Hughes - if he can get rid of the weight him and Bisto gonna be great
    James Keddy
    Keith Dunne
    Robert Hedderman
    Dean Delaney - YOU LITTLE DANCER, I'm glad Deano is back in the red shirt, he has a league medal from 06 with us. Great keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Is this the same Shels whom you told me were beyond poor?! :)

We have slashed this years budget from what it was last season.

So once we get promoted, it won't matter.

Prem Div is where themoney is, the holy grail :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

http://shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=790

Some players who have signed contracts for Shels for next season

Alan Byrne
    Alan Keely
    James Chambers - SWEET
    Stuart Malcolm
    Anthony Flood - Good stuff
    Mark O’Brien
    David McGill
    Philip Hughes - if he can get rid of the weight him and Bisto gonna be great
    James Keddy
    Keith Dunne
    Robert Hedderman
    Dean Delaney - YOU LITTLE DANCER, I'm glad Deano is back in the red shirt, he has a league medal from 06 with us. Great keeper.

SeanSouth , There is no way that you guys have slashed last years wage budget , With signing all that quality. Just a few examples are that James keddy what ever about his age etc , was FULL-TIME pro last year so i cant imagine that he took a huge drop in cash to sign for you guys ? After all there was a few premiership teams after him.

Again Philip Hughes , He went from saint to sinner in dundalk but was DUNDALK FC highest paid player last year 1000e a week. Again i just Cant see him Halving that to sign for shels.

Thats just two examples mate , keely has now assembled a team that SHOULD be favorites to win the division , I should be at home for the start of it next year look forward to having a few beers mate.

Damien Brennan - Longford Town fc - Shelbourne FC

:( So long damien. Thanks for all your efforts over the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Shelbourne: Out

John Brophy
    Aidan Collins
    Brian Gartland
    Kieran Harte
    James Hussey
    Glen Lacey
    Sean L'Estrange
    Alan Murphy
    Tony O'Dowd
    Niall O'Reilly
    Ciaran Quinn
    Alan Reilly
    Mark Rooney
    Marc McCulloch (Galway United)
    Mark Leech (rumoured to Galway United)
    Jim Crawford :(

16 players gone, gutted over Jim Crawford leaving but i saw that one coming. Collins, Murphy, Gartland, Harte and Hussey would be super signings for the likes of Kildare and Monaghan, hope they don't come back to haunt us.

I'm sad to see some of those lads going, especially Jim Crawford.

I really thought Gartland would have been kept, he's a smashing player.

• Advertisement

Mark O'Brien and James Keddy Rovers to B*hs to Shels. What a downward spiral.....

There are some good solid players in there, assuming Kicker can get something out of them. Shels should be there are there abouts on paper next year.

Surprised they let Leech and Gartland go.

Leech isn't being "let go".

He was on loan, and scored well for us, he is naturally in demand in the Premier Division.

Galway United to be exact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Mark O'Brien and James Keddy Rovers to B*hs to Shels. What a downward spiral...

Funny because not so long ago that would have been a completely upward sprial.

PS - Leagues aren't won on paper, they're won in the courts. :)

Leech isn't being "let go".

He was on loan, and scored well for us, he is naturally in demand in the Premier Division.

Galway United to be exact.

that makes more sense.

I presume that Alan Byrne is not the same psycho who played for both our clubs in the 90's? He was ferocious! A Keely player if there ever was one!

that makes more sense.
    Of course it does, I typed it, not you. :p
    I presume that Alan Byrne is not the same psycho who played for both our clubs in the 90's? He was ferocious! A Keely player if there ever was one!

I don't think it is tbh.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Funny because not so long ago that would have been a completely upward sprial.

PS - Leagues aren't won on paper, they're won in the courts. :)

Rovers never sell to B*hs. We just let our waste go to them to pasture.

O'Brien, Keddy, Grunt, Palmer, Dully, McGrath, Mullin etc. We got the best out of them and punt them on where they proceded to be rubbish for the D7 shower.

Whereas when they come the other way they blossom at a bigger club with fans who appreciate good play. Liam O'Brien, Tony Cousins and Paul Whelan spring to mind.

It adds to their bitterness all the more, which is a nice bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

O'Brien, Keddy, Grunt, Palmer, Dully, McGrath, Mullin etc. We got the best out of them and punt them on where they proceded to be rubbish for the D7 shower.

Whereas when they come the other way they blossom at a bigger club with fans who appreciate good play. Liam O'Brien, Tony Cousins and Paul Whelan spring to mind.

In fairness he will be remembered for setting Crowe up in the late stages of the cup semi final against shams around 2004, still hated for all the **** years back though.

Des/Seansouth uyou still havent gotten back to me with a reply mate.

Anyway Jogn Gill from dundalk has been busy last couple of days , The signings are as follows :

Aaron Shanahan,
    David O'Connor,
    Ian Ryan,
    Paul Shiels,
    Robbie Farrell
    David Cassidy.

Sarge wrote: »

Anyway Jogn Gill from dundalk has been busy last couple of days , The signings are as follows :

Aaron Shanahan,
    David O'Connor,
    Ian Ryan,
    Paul Shiels,
    Robbie Farrell
    David Cassidy.

Casso is quality, very unluck to get the chop at Rovers.

A fit Shiels is a Premier player. Ryan and O'Connor will also do well.

Far to good for that cesspit that is Oriel Park.

I will tomorrow...

Casso is quality, very unluck to get the chop at Rovers.

A fit Shiels is a Premier player. Ryan and O'Connor will also do well.

Far to good for that cesspit that is Oriel Park.

Oriel park might be in your opinion a "cesspit" but at least its Our cesspit unlike , you "home" ground of tolka park. Oh the irony.

• Advertisement

I will tomorrow...

i think the delayed answer is due to the fact that the figures cant add up , That accountant of yours down there was meant to say "we've doubled last years wage budget" not slashed it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

16 players gone from Shelbourne. Including a good few of our big wage earners. 8/9 new signings. And we've doubled our budget? Are you just trying to troll or have you really not looked into this?

DSB wrote: »
    16 players gone from Shelbourne. Including a good few of our big wage earners. 8/9 new signings. And we've doubled our budget? Are you just trying to troll or have you really not looked into this?

Big money earners , Last year ? Are you having a laugh ? When i say double your wage budget there was a sense of sarcasm in there.

DSB wrote: »

I have no way of knowing wheter your wage bill is higher or lower, although I would be very surprised if its been reduced, but the impression is not one of a club in financial dire straits cutting its cloth.

lets hope that we dont see a repeat of last season when you were forced by the FAI to fix your pitch that you had let go fallow as a cost cutting measure.

OK, there was an "unveiling" of the new signings in Tolka last night.

I wasn't there, but reports are saying that Dermot Keely said that this season's wage budget is totally used up on the current players (that list I posted).

Some of last years U21 squad will be promoted.

One or two other contracts have been negotiated, and players are waiting to sign, IF more money can be secured.

Keely is working to secure funds for this. :confused:

I have no idea what that means. External funds? Who the hell would touch Shels? More money from the developers?

He also said that he intends to push for First spot this season. This is more than he said last year.

I have no way of knowing wheter your wage bill is higher or lower, although I would be very surprised if its been reduced, but the impression is not one of a club in financial dire straits cutting its cloth.

I agree completely with this I just don’t understand how it’s possible to reduce your wages, when you have clearly signed guys that would be demanding say double what some shels players were on last year. I.E James Keddy , Philip Hughes , just to name two.
    OK, there was an "unveiling" of the new signings in Tolka last night.

I wasn't there, but reports are saying that Dermot Keely said that this season's wage budget is totally used up on the current players (that list I posted).

Some of last years U21 squad will be promoted.

One or two other contracts have been negotiated, and players are waiting to sign, IF more money can be secured.

Keely is working to secure funds for this. :confused:

I have no idea what that means. External funds? Who the hell would touch Shels? More money from the developers?

He also said that he intends to push for First spot this season. This is more than he said last year.

Mate so your telling me that he has spent his entire wage budget on 12 signings and has still cut the wage bill from last year, That’s nonsense Again as "OhNoYouDidn't" , stated we have no way of actually knowing the wage budget but when you compare the calibre of players signed this year compared to last year its clear why the questions is been asked.

From what I have read here, your saying Keely has a verbal agreement with some players but is waiting to secure funds. I can imagine it now, "Lads I want to sign you, but want to see if I can secure your wages"

I fear for Shels this season putting so much money on the pitch for the risk of ONE promotion spot for the winner , If Shels don’t win this first division mate , then they are in serious trouble , and it’s the strongest first division in years mate , Waterford , Longford , Dundalk , Shels all fighting for ONE SPOT.

On a side note John gill has added yet another former Rovers player to the new signings list. Jamie Duffy, I’m very happy with this signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

D58 - D51

=

D7! :D

Duffy is a good signing for Dundalk. He played very well in his appearances on loan to Longford.

Duffy is a good signing for Dundalk. He played very well in his appearances on loan to Longford.

Best crosser of a ball in the league, knows how to beat a fullback, but too light for Scully.

Some serious signings from Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Maguire and O'Connor from SPA FC to Rovers and Stapelton from Kildare.

All official.

Unnofficial and with varying levels of truth are Gavin Whelan, Anto Murphy, Dave Mooney if a suitable overseas deal doenst happen, James Keddy and Doherty from Longford to Rovers

Dave Mooney is being approached by Norwich City after failing to secure a contract with Palace.

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »
    Dave Mooney is being approached by Norwich City after failing to secure a contract with Palace.

Palace offered him less money than Part time Longford wage+full time job pay apparently.

Alan Matthews has resigned from his position.

shels? or have they got someone?

also waterford have made some decent signings Mulcahy (the good one) a free agent expect cork to get him class player.

rovers fans being asked for 2 years 500 club fees to finish 8th or somfin weird like that was sent out to them.

we linked with Mc Court for 3k a week someone to keep Ndo company on the injury list, Ndo being offered a new deal which doubles his money but is pay as you play and adds an extra year onto his contract. Kerr been in scotland a lot watching 3 players Flood Barret and someone else.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »

we linked with Mc Court for 3k a week someone to keep Ndo company on the injury list, Ndo being offered a new deal which doubles his money but is pay as you play and adds an extra year onto his contract. Kerr been in scotland a lot watching 3 players Flood Barret and someone else.

kdjac

Rumour on bohs forum of Noel Hunt coming home, could be the third.

bohsman wrote: »
    Rumour on bohs forum of Noel Hunt coming home, could be the third.

doubt it he scores goals over there, would take a massive amount of cash to get here, granted he the typeof player special K wants but seriously doubt it.

Left winger and a striker is all we need.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    shels? or have they got someone?
    Hmm.

Word was that Keely was going upstairs, but judging by the "fan meet" the other night, I reckon he'll be the manager in Feb/March.:confused:

I'm worried.

12 players plus U21s plus "Keely is raising funds". WTF?

We bet on a gamble before, it didn't work, and we are dying.

Much prefer to consolidate in the First Div than chase dreams tbh.

Dundalk fairly strengthened in the week too.

Hearing Rutherford might re-sign, but him and Keely hate each other.

On a different note we (longford) have one player under contract. Daire Doyle. Might be getting my boots out of the bin yet.

kelly and sullivan to UCD. Sullivan was immense this season. Top player and guy. Mooney apparently has agreed with Norwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I agree completely with this I just don’t understand how it’s possible to reduce your wages, when you have clearly signed guys that would be demanding say double what some shels players were on last year. I.E James Keddy , Philip Hughes , just to name two.

Mate so your telling me that he has spent his entire wage budget on 12 signings and has still cut the wage bill from last year, That’s nonsense Again as "OhNoYouDidn't" , stated we have no way of actually knowing the wage budget but when you compare the caliber of players signed this year compared to last year its clear why the questions is been asked.

From what I have read here, your saying Keely has a verbal agreement with some players but is waiting to secure funds. I can imagine it now, "Lads I want to sign you, but want to see if I can secure your wages"

I fear for Shels this season putting so much money on the pitch for the risk of ONE promotion spot for the winner , If Shels don’t win this first division mate , then they are in serious trouble , and it’s the strongest first division in years mate , Waterford , Longford , Dundalk , Shels all fighting for ONE SPOT.

On a side note John gill has added yet another former Rovers player to the new signings list. Jamie Duffy, I’m very happy with this signing.

Sarge, i have to go on a long one here so be patient

Shels wage bill in the 7-8k per week bracket during the 2007 season, that was guaranteed by the Tolka property developer and it was that high mainly due to having to throw a team together in 2 days so we had to be more generous than in normal circumstances to have chance of putting some sort of team together. i still disagree with some of the unnecessary expensive signings in made July but that's the past now.

now this season the club has to attempt to live within its means without any cash advances from Mr.Kilkenny. from knowing exactly what some Shels players were on last season and having a rough idea what some others were on, the 16 players released this week would have accounted for around 70% of the wage bill.

the 5 players resigned will be on good money and that includes Mark O'Brien who will be taking a wage cut from what he was with Bohs. Philly Hughes was on crazy money with Dundalk and i guarantee you he has taken a wage cut - look at it this way, his stock is down after 2007 if we didn't sign him Kildare would have and he would have been on a tiny fraction of his income from Dundalk, with Shels he'll earn more money than Kildare in a more competitive side, while still on less than he was with Dundalk. James Keddy has had to go part time, he would have planned for this happening, he's nearly 35 and not a long-term player for any club, his stock is down, he'll be on good first division money but nothing close to what he was on with Drogheda. Also take into consideration Dublin based players such as Delaney, Hedderman and Brennan are minus a countryside commute they will be better off for that. Not everyone will be on €400/€500 per week, players like Alan Byrne will be on very modest wages. Don't underestimate the fact that most of our squad have worked with Keely in the past, they know Keely, they trust him, they would like to work with him again, they are not necessarily only joining Shels because of mad amounts of cash, some players do actually want to play football.

i'm not going to preach i know every single source of income or know exactly what figure each of the new signings are on but you're completely off the mark saying that Shels are not cutting the wage bill and are on some wild buying the league spree like previous seasons. 13 senior players signed, likely costing 4k-4.5k tops + 4/5 under 21 players being promoted to the squad who are all on peanuts. we still sell season tickets, we still get gate receipts, we still get sponsorship, we still have many other sources of revenue, we have a whole winter to plan how maximise other sources of income. the massive debts are still there, they are too great to service on gate receipts, the fate of them will ultimately come down to what happens with the transaction of Tolka Park, the BOM are working on this and i don't envy the task they have. Shels will attempt to break even next season. the club still may lose money but it will be a drop in the ocean compared the millions upon millions hemorrhaged over the past seasons. the club has pulled through the worst storm, still a mountain to climb but the fact Shelbourne fc is already planning for next season is only a positive. Keely is doing wonders to bring some smashing players to the club next season under tighter belts, i don't know whether having a strong first XI and inexperienced back up will pull of the league title but the club is giving it a shot anyway. now, if the club and Keely go and sign another expensive 6/7 top players then i'll change my stance here but so far Keely and the BOM have been open, they've told us the club is cutting back but will look at sustainable avenues to raise extra money to strengthen the squad further. they've until the end of February to do that and i'm confident that can be achieved.

one last point and this is main one. if Shels go of on a spending spree this season with someone else's chequebook and win the First division title do you think the FAI will give Shels a Premier Division license? Not a chance in hell, you can guarantee the FAI are keeping a good eye on Shels' situation and the Shels BOM know that too. the club knows it must attempt live within it's means this season and they will whatever they can to achieve that while maintaining our competitiveness next season. sit back and look forward to a Shels and Dundalk (and probably Waterford) ding dong for the title! :)

• Advertisement

Dessie Baker is a hoop, official. Interesting signing... The kind of player Scully can get something out of I think.

Grapevine is b*hs have offered Joe Gamble 4k a week and he is tempted. Cork Village to make a counter offer.

Advertisement