Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wire Transfer

Options
  • 04-11-2007 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

Hi all, simple question about a wire transfer. I'm buying a Dell laptop and actually have a thread going in the laptop forum at the moment and was wondering what the procedure was with paying through wire transfer.
    Do I need Dells info, ie. account number etc?
    Many forms to fill out?
    Is it more like giving a thumbs up and Dell make a request or... I don't know!
    The banks are closed at the moment and I'd like to place my order as soon as possible. I don't want to have to go twice because I didn't have everything I needed. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Why not pay by credit card?
    Also which Dell is it - Ireland, Uk or US?
    If Ireland, all you need is their IBAN. If you have online banking, contact your provider about making a payment to them. Or else send them a cheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It's Dell Ireland. No credit/debit card, and the order is over a grand so they won't accept a cheque!
    I do indeed have online banking. I never even thought about that. So, I could just ring up the person I'm dealing with, get a/c details and the like and bobs your uncle? Only a little worried my money will disappear into a black hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It shouldn't do - normally Internet Banking lets you put a reference number in the transaction. Check with Dell if that should be your order number etc.

I'll try calling on my lunch tomorrow. Working annoying hours for this sort of thing!
    Hopefully internet banking is my solution, went into a BoI branch today (although not my local one) and enquired as to wire transfers. According to the lady I spoke to, they don't do that sort of thing. :confused:

If you said wire transfer, then she's sort of right. If you are able to lodge to Dell's account directly then it's just an inter-bank transfer that you should be able to do by internet or phone banking.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough I suppose. Still, I would have expected a little more help. I told her I was just looking to pay Dell for a laptop I bought. Ah well, I called up the guy I'm speaking with and everythings good to go, almost. I'll be doing the transfer friday morning and I'm looking at the account info I have for Dell. I went online (365) to add Dell as a beneficiary under 'Add an Account'. The five entries are as follows:

Their name:
    Their account number:
    National Sort Code:
    Reference:
    Description:

Bare with me! From Dell I recieved:

Enter booking 12345678 in the customer reference field. Fair enough, stick it in reference.

Wire Reference:
    Barclay's Bank PLC,
    47-48 St. Stephens' Green,
    Dublin 2,
    Ireland.
    Um... should this be their national sort code instead? I wasn't given one of those.

Send to: AAAAAA11
    Favour of: AAAAAA1A
    Account name: Dell Products (Irish Sales) - goes in name, alright.
    Account number: AA11 AAAA 1111 1111 1111 11

Now the problem with the account number is that I'm only allowed to enter eight digits, no more no less.

It's all very straight forward I'm sure but I'd love if someone could idiot proof this for me! It's a lot of money I'm spending!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Account number can only ever be 8 numbers. The sort code is 6 numbers normally beginning with a 9 if its an Irish sorting code. You might have the sort code and account number combined. The name and description are just for your benefit so you know what the transfer was when looking back on it.

Account number: AA11 AAAA 1111 1111 1111 11

Was the information you've given us as "AAAAAA11", BARCIE2D? If so it sounds like an IBAN they've given you as the bank account numbers. The IBAN contains their normal sort code and account number. The numbers (that you've put 1111 etc) should begin with a 9. This would mean that 9X-XX-XX is their sort code and 11 1111 11 is most likely the account number.

Yeah thats it. Just had to get the sort code and account number from an IBAN with BOI just there as well. The sort code will be the FIRST 6 numbers after the last letter. The account number will be teh 8 digits after that.

You've all been a great help.
    For the account number, it begins: IE47 BARC 9123 4567 8900 00.
    So: '912345' is the sort code and '67890000' is the account number? What's the point of the first eight numerals and characters?
    Buffybot, BARCIE2D is under 'Favour of'.
    Lools like this is about sorted. I'll be putting this through in the morning, but one last thumbs up would be ideal! ;)

• Advertisement

The letters and numbers make up the IBAN. The whole thing is needed for international transfers. Along with the BIC/Swift code which would be BARCIE2D.

You've the rest correct.

Great guys. Thanks again! Away I go to get my laptop. :D

Advertisement