Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

listen to this 3 story......!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

legs11 wrote: »

;)

am i getting a bit boring at this stage....:eek:

NO WAY....please keep this going, it's er, got "legs" on it.

OK so, what is the point in having a 2gig (if that is still the case?) cap if you cant even download anything, you are hardly going to even reach that figure from putting on caps lock and checking emails in one month.

whats the difference between

1) unlimited broadband with 2 gig cap on a N73

2) Data modem with a cap of xxx.

you still have a given allocation to use each month.

I have been using this N73 as a modem (albeit unsuccessfully on alot of occasions) for a while now and have watched you tube vids, downloaded virus scanners and the like with no charge.

cula, are you working for three, you can come clean I will give you public amnesty and no word will be said.

Legs, you come clean: are you as mad as a hatter?

I don't know how many times we have discussed on these boards how Mobile Broadband and X-Series are not allowed to be used as modems. Whether you or I agree with this policy or not is neither here nor there. Whether or not downloading data to the phone or via the phone is the same is unfortunately neither here nor there either. Whether 3 apply this policy or not is something we either take a chance on or don't.

This is the second time you have wilfully ignored these rules and been caught napping as a result of large downloads. Pointing out these 'rules' does not suddenly make me an employee of 3 -it is simply bringing something to your attention. You are forever writing in trash talk about how 'these boys are cowboys' 'incredible' and -best of all - 'never listen' -but it is equally clear that you NEVER listen.

So -"duh".

robinph wrote: »
    Did you actually read the section of the terms that you put in bold? It said on your mobile, not using your mobile as a modem.

He doesn't even read the answers to the questions to he asks.

no, more like write it on a grenade and pop it into their highly secret hq address.

I emailed them anyway and explained the t&c and told them if they dont ammend my bill for november i am not paying it and will seek legal advise, while mentioning the 10000 complaints on boards.ie also....

;)

am i getting a bit boring at this stage....:eek:

I hope they explain the T&Cs to you, since we are clearly not getting through. Save yourself a few bob and don't bother with the legal advice (sic).

tom dunne wrote: »
    Now, I nearly choked laughing at that, but this....

.....has to be the funniest thing I have read in ages.

legs11, you are watching too many Hollywood films, or should that be movies?

Give this man his own sub-forum. Under humour. Or conspiracy theories.

Sheer brilliance. I think he should write sit-coms. There are late nights I have been in tears laughing at his comic genius. Magic, priceless stuff. I sure hope he keeps in touch re the forthcoming inadequacies of Japan.

• Advertisement

guys

i dont give a flying fcuk about my spelling or anything,

:

That much is clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

christ on a bike

mobile broadband ummmmmmm

so lets clarify a few things which escapes alot of ye

2 gig quota. (ye know what a gig is ?!).

so how are you meant to use up two gigabytes on a mobile phone? over a month? and what difference does it make whether its used as a modem or not.?

in my opinion a forceware driver does not constitute a 'large' download and certainly not warrant a fee of 40e.

i dont take $hit and i certainly dont take pi$$ !

anyway.

back to the show

if anyone has difficulty reading this my aploogies........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If you're a heavy user streaming lots of video you'd use 2gig easy on a phone in a month. You apparently aren't and it would appear you've selected the wrong package for your needs.

Using your phone as a modem is not what the bundle is for apparently. Sorry, but who's problem is this? Seems to be yours. Using your phone as a modem no doubt places a greater strain on their network as it's more likely that you will use it all to hog bandwidth or download tv shows or something. I would imagine this is why they have broadband on your phone and for your modem separately.

You're coming across as an idiot legs11 - just stop posting. Please.

).

so how are you meant to use up two gigabytes on a mobile phone? over a month? and what difference does it make whether its used as a modem or not.?

in my opinion

anyway.

back to the show

if anyone has difficulty reading this my aploogies........

a) that is precisely how they more or less get away with calling it 'unlimited'.

b) As to the difference, see my earlier post and this time, read it, please.

c) I'm afraid your opinion, having signed up to 3's T&Cs is in no way relevant.

3's T&C's expressly forbid Christ from mounting on a bike, that is not what is meant by mobile broadband.

• Advertisement

culabula wrote: »
    3's T&C's expressly forbid Christ from mounting on a bike, that is not what is meant by mobile broadband.
    hmm.. there was mention of a bike .. odd

i think alot of ye guys are just losers to be honest...! like ciranfo....;)

I dont think you guys even know what I was downloading, when ye see the word download ,shows like CSI and the like are probably etched into your mind.

well, truth be told a forceware driver is quite a small 'download' and certainly doesnt warrant a 40euro bill.

so the bottom line

where exactly does the 2 gigabyte quota come into play, as far as I am aware I am on the unlimited broadband add on package which merits a cap of 2g's.

I am just going to stop posting here as its obviously a waste of time, I think the lads over on the broadband section are abit more serious.

I dont think you guys even know what I was downloading, when ye see the word download ,shows like CSI and the like are probably etched into your mind.

well, truth be told a forceware driver is quite a small 'download' and certainly doesnt warrant a 40euro bill.

so the bottom line

where exactly does the 2 gigabyte quota come into play, as far as I am aware I am on the unlimited broadband add on package which merits a cap of 2g's.

I am just going to stop posting here as its obviously a waste of time, I think the lads over on the broadband section are abit more serious.
    See ya ....

ciaranfo wrote: »
    hmm.. there was mention of a bike .. odd

There was, but you aren't allowed to use it as a modem or to drive the traders from the 3store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

whether or not you can use it that much data on the phone is really beside the point. that's what they offer. the difference is that using the phone as a modem is forbidden by the t&c's.

having said that, i bought the 5.99 add on (100mb, 30 days) for my pre pay phone on the 17th of september and now in november, its still going strong and i've downloaded massively in excess of 100mb and my credit hasn't changed. i'm posting this using my phone as a modem as a matter of fact.

they say you're not allowed do it and if you call they'll say it doesn't work if you try but i've never been charnged extra for it on either my pre pay or bill pay account. methinks a mistake was made and since 3 is involved, the chances that a mistake was not made are very small indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

I don't see how they could charge extra - it's not possible to determine if the phone or something else using the phone has made the request. As far as 3 network is concerned your phone makes the request not the laptop.

You could argue, it's a bit of a giveaway downloading something that's windows specific, but it is legit to download it to your phone's memory card - so it's not really a problem.

As Commander Vimes states - the real problem is that it's not supported, so don't ask customer don't-care about it (but then why would you ring that bunch of idiots anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

RikD wrote: »
    I don't see how they could charge extra - it's not possible to determine if the phone or something else using the phone has made the request. As far as 3 network is concerned your phone makes the request not the laptop.

Do you know the difference then, between how a phone handles an internal data connection, and one that is initiated via the modem software interface on the phone?

so the bottom line

You should also post over on broadband about how you got your original huge CSI bill, I see you never mention those circumstances either.

Clearly the unlimited BB is for your phone surfing as explicitly written in the T&C's but you've chosen to ignore those just as for your original data card usage.

Yes - I do.
    Maybe "not possible" was a little strong - more like "extremely complicated". To spot the difference the network would need to examine the session initiation data to figure out the app on this phone with ID of X is the modem app. And if you're going to do that kind of analysis - why not just block it instead of permitting something that you expressly forbid.

You could argue, it's a bit of a giveaway downloading something that's windows specific, but it is legit to download it to your phone's memory card - so it's not really a problem.

As Commander Vimes states - the real problem is that it's not supported, so don't ask customer don't-care about it (but then why would you ring that bunch of idiots anyway).

Actually, they can tell, they know from the headers involved that a laptop is in use. In practice, they never apply these charges (I use my UK X-Series frequently as a modem, given the utter uselessness of the 3IRL offering). It is clear however that you are not entitled to use the bundle in this manner, even though it is difficult to comprehend why. However ours (nor Legs') is not to wonder why, ours is not to sign the contract in the first place if we object to this.

I feel the real issue here is why this ONLY happens to Legs11 -I'm beginning to smell a troll.

• Advertisement

culabula wrote: »
    I feel the real issue here is why this ONLY happens to Legs11 -I'm beginning to smell a troll.

Yeah - funny that.
    IN all honesty, I've had one billing conflict with them and they resolved that pretty quickly and satisfactorly - Now if I could just get fring and other apps working :(

Yeah - funny that.
    IN all honesty, I've had one billing conflict with them and they resolved that pretty quickly and satisfactorly - Now if I could just get fring and other apps working :(

Hmm, my fring works perfectly.

I'm on BB-100 and fring and other apps don't work for me. Have that annoying page telling me it costs €0.49c when I want to view internet sites in the browser too
    - still working with 3 to get things solved, but won't hold my breath as email (pop3) is only back now.

Yes - I do.
    Maybe "not possible" was a little strong - more like "extremely complicated". To spot the difference the network would need to examine the session initiation data to figure out the app on this phone with ID of X is the modem app. And if you're going to do that kind of analysis - why not just block it instead of permitting something that you expressly forbid.

Not expressly forbid, just charge for.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

so how are you meant to use up two gigabytes on a mobile phone? over a month?
    Well I just checked the data log on my phone and it shows that I've downloaded 1.4G over the last 30 days. As I've not actually been on the xseries for all of that time though I guess I'd better slow down my usage a tad or I might end up breaking the unlimited limit.

It seems that O2 have decided to release and actual unlimited unlimited package in the UK now though, but only if your on the iPhone.

The Register

if i downloaded 1.4G's they would surely send me a 10 figure bill.

they still have not replied to my email, and they reduced the current spending from 57e to 43e. where ever they got these figures from.

what is it with these people.

they are a farce, as i am leaving this rosy land of ours next year & i can use my o2 sim to keep me going, i dont think i will bother paying bills to 3 anymore since they cant bill me for s***.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

legs11 - banned: breach of forum charter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement