Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If transferring domain can associated email contents also be transferred?

Options
  • 04-11-2007 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

If/when transferring domain names e.g. multiple names purchased via multiple providers become lobbed into one basket, can associated mailboxes of those domains also be transferred, or is it like acquiring a new name and new email set up?

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Transferring a domain name from one registrar to another just means changing who you purchase the domain from, unfortunately mail accounts or site content isn't transferred when you transfer the domain name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭randombar

Depends where you were hosting the domains, the emails are stored via your hosting provider not the domain provider, shouldn't be a problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

If you are changing web/email hosts at the same time as transferring your domains to a new register, I'd advise that you ask the new host to assist you in transferring any webhosting or email hosting accounts (if they have this service available).

We call it our "transfer concierge" where when customers change to our hosting packages we'll transfer all their data including emails from their old hosts servers to our servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

A bit of a D'UH! moment for me there starkey! Yes, I should have implied in the OP that as well as the domain names, the different hosts for those domain names are also likely to be lobbed into one basket too!

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Anyone who accepts responsibility for transferring customer data is just asking for trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

blacknight wrote: »
    Anyone who accepts responsibility for transferring customer data is just asking for trouble.

My thoughts too, which is why I'd be going in for a materials-only contract. In the case of the client in question, I think they would be more at ease if they handled the transfers themselves, but know where to go to do it. With many providers able to facilitate domain transfers, I wanted to find out about email contents (for them) if they were also to transfer hosts.

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

Obviously it's an optional service which provides extra help to more inexperienced customers. It is made clear to them that it's their responsbility to check all data before closing any old accounts with other hosts, but we've never had any difficulties in this regard.

Advertisement