Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doggie pulling

Options
  • 04-11-2007 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hey , im wondering does anyone know about weight pullin for dogs or competions in ireland, i know its big in the us and uk , im just lookin for more info cant find much myself thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

al25 wrote: »
    hey , im wondering does anyone know about weight pullin for dogs or competions in ireland, i know its big in the us and uk , im just lookin for more info cant find much myself thanks

I think most people here would consider it cruel.

Try some of the American bulldog sites for links to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 al25

thanks mairt but no luck
    still looking for info from all you bullie owners out there

still no luck, waitin to here from all you bullie owners out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not something I would do with my dogs - maybe pm egar she rescue & deals almost exclusively with bull breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

Hi Al, I have been trying to find sth similer for the last 6 months but have had no luck. I have a Alaskan Malamute which should be pretty handy at that sort of thing so if you have any joy can you let me know, and I will do the same for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

but the question remains ....

WHY?

would you want to do that to your dog?

Over on the continent there are these clubs ...they read somewhere that in Switzerland dogs (like the Bernese mountain dog etc) used to be (ab-)used for pulling milk carts in the old days.

Now you've got all these idiots buying/making carts for their dogs and having meetings every weekend where they go for walks with their cart pulling dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

I've read on a website,can't remember where but it can cause all manner of health problems for the dog. Passing blood in the urine is common after pulling a heavy load. In some american states training equipment used in that sport has been banned.
    dogs pulling a sled is ok IMO as long as it doesn't get heavier and heavier until it injures itself.

sure will padjo cheers

cheers sure will padjo1981

Padjo1981 wrote: »
    Hi Al, I have been trying to find sth similer for the last 6 months but have had no luck. I have a Alaskan Malamute which should be pretty handy at that sort of thing so if you have any joy can you let me know, and I will do the same for you

sure will padjo cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

macshadow wrote: »
    I've read on a website,can't remember where but it can cause all manner of health problems for the dog. Passing blood in the urine is common after pulling a heavy load. In some american states training equipment used in that sport has been banned.
    dogs pulling a sled is ok IMO as long as it doesn't get heavier and heavier until it injures itself.

I get the feeling thats just been wasted on the OP.

From my reading of it you've just hit the tip of the ice berg in regards to the health issues brought about by weight pulling.

Apparently weight pulling destroys a dogs hips and back later in life & many of the American breeders/competitors will use Anabolic Steroids to enhance the dogs performance.

Well the alaskan malamute was specialy bred for haulling heavy loads, I am not talking about forcing the dog into pulling a truck, just looking for more ways to exercise him, the way ppl are sating it is crule is wrong, is it wrong to use a blood hound to sniff a trail?? which is what they are bred for??? Suppose it is a discussion for another time though

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Nobody is saying it's wrong for a dog to pull a heavy load but if it's a weight pulling competition doesn't the dog who pulls the heaviest load win?
    There is a difference.

how about this for you and your Malamute?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_scootering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

weight pulling is done mostly at game fairs up and down the country, theese take place during the summer months. i entered my staffie into a weight pulling comp last summer and he pulled 6 solid blocks placed in a wodden cart, couldnt belive the power of my lil staffie and he was by no means the strongest or biggest there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Entering your dog into a weight pulling comp without prior slow built up training, warming up etc is downright stupid (excuse my frankness but I have seen what this can do to dogs).

I have also seen the excesses of this *sport*, ie treadmill until the dog keels over and/or drugging of the dog. Nice *sport*.

As to the rest:
    Section 9 of the Protection of Animals Act, 1911 creates a specific offence for a person who uses to use a dog to pull or help to pull a cart, carriage, truck or barrow on any highway

Look, all I want to do is to exercise my dog in another way than walking him for hours, is it not a good idea to enrich the animals life with new things?? how about agilite trials? are they cruel or do you think that is not another interesting way to bring some joy into the animals life, and why when someone asks for advice on sth ppl do not like on the site do they get berated for it. thought Boards was here to help ppl share advice and help ppl with less experiance. So instead of getting into a strop and giving ppl a hard time why not try to advise them on how to do things safely.

Look, all I want to do is to exercise my dog in another way than walking him for hours..... why not try to advise them on how to do things safely.

ahemmm ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_scootering

peasant wrote: »

Thanks peasent, got that one, looks interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

I know that Clover Hill Kennels in Roscommon are planning on setting up a Husky racing club, they may be able to help or put you in the right direction.

http://www.cloverkennels.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Look, all I want to do is to exercise my dog in another way than walking him for hours, is it not a good idea to enrich the animals life with new things?? how about agilite trials? are they cruel or do you think that is not another interesting way to bring some joy into the animals life, and why when someone asks for advice on sth ppl do not like on the site do they get berated for it. thought Boards was here to help ppl share advice and help ppl with less experiance. So instead of getting into a strop and giving ppl a hard time why not try to advise them on how to do things safely.

Strop? You asked - I answered. From experience may I add ;).

Advertisement