Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is doing my head in!!!

Options
  • 04-11-2007 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

I've written a number of simple applications (hello world type stuff) as jar files (with their associated jad files) for downloading to mobile phones. If I transfer these files to a phone using the memory card with the phone - no problems and the apps work fine.

However, I need to put these files on a server where people can download them (its part of a college project that I'm doing). I have uploaded them to a number of different sites (e.g. t35.com, wappal.com, etc) BUT everytime I download them, they are saved as .txt files. Renaming them is no good as abc.txt becomes abc.jar.txt. I can't seem to be able to ditch the .txt extension. I have checked every setting I can find on my phone but to no avail. I have tried a number of different phones and the same problem.

I saw a link in an old thread to a .jar game that the writer said worked. I tried it and it downloaded and it worked ok. So what the hell am I doing wrong!

I have written my simple apps in Netbeans 5.5.1 with mobility pack and Java 1.6

Finally if I take the .txt files from the phone on the SD memory card and rename them on my PC - they work fine when I put them back on the phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

It sounds to me like the mime type of the files is not being communicated correctly to the phone by your web server.

Google "web server mime types" for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

Cheers Bluefrog

I'll try that. Appreciate the help.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

As bluefrog said it could be the server incorrectly communicating that the MIME type is text/html.

An alternative possibility is that mobile browser does not recognise, or is not configured to accept the jar MIME type, and is defaulting to text/html. I am not sure how you would go about changing this.

However if the phone is a faily new model the first scenario is more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Well he's tried a few phones and same issue so I think it's mime type - it's just a mime type kind of week MP

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Well he's tried a few phones and same issue so I think it's mime type - it's just a mime type kind of week MP

I really must stop half reading posts :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

Bluefrog and Marco Polo

What can I say but thanks a million. Ye were bang on right! - mime types were the problem. I didn't know anything about them until ye pointed the way. After a bit of research, I sussed the answer. I added a few lines to the web server and my downloads worked.

Many thanks again

Advertisement