Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Stand Up

Options
  • 04-11-2007 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hello folks,

Every christmas I pick up a few comedy DVD's to watch with all the family over in my parents house. Dylan Moran & Chris Rock have gone down a treat in the past, can anyone recommend anyone else?

Cheers
    Ciaran:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ross Noble!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ross Noble.

Bill Bailey, has some good ones aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Even though he must be dead 10 years, have you seen Bill Hicks. A Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Another for Bill Bailey. He has 3 DVDs I think, all really good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Eddie Izzard is always a good one, even if it's just to see granny looking confused by the trannie on the tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭crowdcontrol

Cheers folks, keep em coming, Ive just ordered a Ross Noble DVD, i recognised him strait away, I've seen him on TV before and always wondered who he was so nice one for the tip! Will check the other tips out also, Eddie Izzard, must check him out, never seen him in stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Get your hands on the Bill Bailey box set! Good choice on Ross Noble, i must get a DVD of his one of these days too actually

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

You can't do better than Bill Hicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Galvasean wrote: »

+1! completely agree, hicks is a legend!!

if chris rock has gone down a treat have a look at similar comedians or his influences like eddie murphy or richard pryor!

i have to mention ricky gervais aswell, when i first saw "animals" i cryed with laughter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Eddie Izzard, must check him out, never seen him in stand up.

He's a bit on and off tbh. I've mp3s and DVDs of some of his tours, and there can be a stark difference in performances, even in the same tour.

I heart a bit of Dave Chappelle myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

hey check out the richard pryor dvd collection in HMV, just €22 reduced from €45, got one myself the mans a legend

buy "the worlds greatest stand up volume one" a huge group of amazing comedians, so if you are not pushed on one comedian, only a few minutes later they will be another one! comedians from lee evans, to dave chapelle, to dylan moran, even tim allen (whos stand up is surprisingly funny)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Pablo Francisco

Watch him here

Absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

saw neil delamare in concert and he is absolutely fantastic so id definately recommend his dvd. also recommend dara o'briains dvd and any of bill baileys shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Galvasean wrote: »

Can you buy Hicks's stand up on DVD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Without a doubt, IMHO one of the funniest has to be Jethro. He has loads of DVD's I have 3 of them and you can get them in any HMV store and probably Zhivargo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

6th wrote: »
    Ross Noble!
    He did a kind of comic travelogue on Radio 4 (with Ireland being one of his destinations) which is very good. You can listen to it here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/ross_global.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

ojewriej wrote: »
    Can you buy Hicks's stand up on DVD?

Yep, theres a DVD out called Totally Bill Hicks. On it you get his last ever stand up show (in England) and a very good documentary about the guy. Ive seen it go for as little as €12 although €18 is the usual price. Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Bill Bailey ftw. My favourite comedian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

If Moran and Rock have gone down well,
    then I'd definitely throw in another recommendation for Bill Bailey, and for Dave Chappelle (if he has an easily available DVD).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Tommy Tiernan
    Bill Bailey
    Ross Noble
    Bill Hicks
    Dylan Moran
    Mitch Headberg

My favorites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bryan Patrick

I'd recommend anything by David Cross or Stewart Lee's 'Stand-up Comedian'

SumGuy wrote: »
    and for Dave Chappelle (if he has an easily available DVD).

yeah "killin them softly" by chapelle is pretty easy to get, and is damn funny!

im gonna slap in a reccomendation for ricky gervais! the man rules!

Advertisement