Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a ball?

• 04-11-2007 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

Where is a good place to buy a bowling ball?

I used to bowl quite alot when i was younger, and i've recently got back into it. It's great fun, but i always have trouble finding a house ball which suits me. (my thumb tends to get stuck unless the hole is massive lol)
    I bowl in Stillorgan, but i don't see any balls on display there.

Also, how much is it likely to cost?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Barry Browne was the man in Stillorgan for years. Just ask at reception and they'll point you in the right direction. No point in you coming across the city if he's still there. If not try Del Delaney in Alsaa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Try this thread Doolittle51. Admiralofthefleet said he has the number of a guy in Palmerstown and glen920 recommends a ProShop in England...although I'd check the international shipping rates on a bowling ball before ordering!!

How much it costs really depends on what you want. A standard Polyester ball shouldn't cost a lot. You'll have to pay the bowling centre to measure your hand and drill the ball appropriately unless the seller already has that worked into their price with the centre.

A reactive urethane ball however can be very expensive! Unfortunately, the range of sellers and choice in Ireland has dropped significantly in the past 15 years and the choice in England, while better, leaves a huge amount to be desired when compared with the US. :(

If you are just a relatively new, standard bowler then a polyester ball is a good choice, especially for learning how to bowl and throw with consistency. If however you want to play in competition and have the basics mastered then a polyurethane or reactive urethane is the ball for you...but with the good ball comes the big bucks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Doolittle51

Thanks for the replies.

I guess a standard polyester ball would suit me fine. I'm really just bowling for fun at the moment, but i'd prefer to have my own ball because its almost a waste of money going bowling and not being able to find a decent house ball!

I'll ask about Barry Browne next time I'm in Stillorgan.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

If you know your thumb and finger sizes, then the best place for balls with cool patterns and colours would be online, you can read reviews of some balls here: http://www.bowlingballreviews.com/

Advertisement