Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metal bands with Jazz influences?

• 04-11-2007 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Been on a very jazzy binge lately, after discovering the amazing Jazz Fusion pianist, Hiromi Uehara, who's absolutely blown my mind, and been listening to a lot of Cynic, as well as some Gordian Knot, and some others.

I'm sure there's quite a bit of stuff I'm missing out on though, so I thought I'd throw up a thread about it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Neil Peart certainly added some Jazz Percussion into Rush in recent times, he's a big fan of Buddy Rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm no stranger to Rush, I can tell you. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

There was a thread that had a link to a song on youtube that had crazy fast saxomophone in the song. It was a brilliant song I just can't remember the name of the song or band.

Heres the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk9wwlzuwJE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

dillinger escape plan? ive heard them refered to as ''jazzcore''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

candiria's album 300% density

• Advertisement

There was a thread that had a link to a song on youtube that had crazy fast saxomophone in the song. It was a brilliant song I just can't remember the name of the song or band.

Heres the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk9wwlzuwJE

Yeah, good band. I have their first 2 albums.
    Fad wrote: »
    Morf wrote: »
    candiria's album 300% density

I really don't like anything "Core" at all. Just doesn't get on with me at all for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

karnivool, check em

karnivool, check em

Just watching some videos on youtube.

They're not bad, kinda sound like a more poppy Korn, but Jazz influences? Where on earth are you hearing that? Doesn't seem to be anything even remotely Jazzy in their music.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

ill try find the stuff i had before, they had a few tunes wit really quality free jam bits.
    gimme a day or so, gotta root through the hard drive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

bit of a bull**** genre, but really good band. tho itll be interesting to see how they fair without Pennie

• Advertisement

oh i do love the cores my favourite being a toss up between christcore/angstcore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Black Sabbath , Geezer Butler often drew on his r'n'b (the good kind) and jazz club origins. Hand of Doom and Planet Caravan spring to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Continuo Renacer, Heironymous Bosch, Pestilence, Atheist, C-187 (not that good though), Sleep Terror, Counter World Experience... There's more but I can't think of them all. Obviously Cynic require no introduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Mahavishnu Orchestra!

I don't really see much resembelance of Korn when talking about Karnivool.

Anyway I got to looking through youtube a fair bit and found a really nice band called corpofago, I really like them and they have little jazz style refrains. They may be a fairly well known band, but I have never heard of them.

Check them out !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnS_cvm5Z7g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

There's a cool little jazzy sax solo after the first chorus in Devin Townsend's "Bad Devil"

It's missing in this, but the drums are still there :D
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=cnf4p3OoXJw

oh i do love the cores my favourite being a toss up between christcore/angstcore

I forgot super-absorbantcore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Alarum

Pestilence, Atheist, C-187, Sleep Terror, Coprofago, Alarum, Mahavishnu Orchestra (They're metal now? :p) and Devin Townsend are all bands I'm familiar with. ;)

Listening to Hieronymous Bosch at them moment. Not bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Not metal, but pick up some of Jaco Pastorius' cds. Amazing bass player who was killed well before his time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Mastodon. Kind of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Cephalic Carnage have some songs with jazz mixed in.

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Cephalic Carnage have some songs with jazz mixed in.

Yeah, good band, have some of their stuff too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Beecher wrote: »

Hmmm I think someone may have linked to them already :rolleyes: :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Mr. Bungle especially first 2 albums where John Zorn played sax, actually check out Zorn crazy free jazz.
    If you want some quality straight ahead jazz try Impressed by Gilles Peterson vol 1 and 2 , best of British jazz from the 60s /70s. Some of the stuff on that is really good, moodier and heavier than their US counterparts,

Advertisement