Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amenity Land

Options
  • 04-11-2007 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

What is amenity land?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

2347 wrote: »
    What is amenity land?
    Thanks

Also known as greenland- its the open areas upon which houses cannot be built. This can be an open area in a housing development- or it can be an entire designated belt of land around a city. More often its taken to simply mean the open areas in a development.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's a must if you have, or plan to have kids, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

Thanks can you put a fence on it if you own it?

Thanks can you put a fence on it if you own it?

Normally amenity land would be held jointly for the surrounding properties, who would expect to have free access to it. As such it would not be your call as whether it could be fenced or not- however it would extremely unusual for amenity land to be fenced.

Perhaps you could clarify the nature of the land?

smccarrick wrote: »
    Perhaps you could clarify the nature of the land?

I don't really know the nature of the land it's just some land I saw on the internet

• Advertisement

I don't really know the nature of the land it's just some land I saw on the internet

Why would you consider that you had the right to fence it- is what I was getting at. Normally amenity land is available to the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Amenity land = public land. If you fence off public land, you may land yourself in trouble with the local CC.

Thanks for all the information

2347 wrote:
    Thanks for all the information

2347- I would appreciate if you could briefly explain why you would have thought you have the right to fence the land- or the nature of the amenity land. Its not always public land- so there could potentially be situations where it might be possible, but it would be unusual. I'll go into more detail if your circumstances warrant it.

S.

I saw some land for sale on the internet (I would post a link but I would be afraid someone would see it here and buy it before me) and it said for example "5 acres of land for sale. 3 acres of agricultural land and 2 acres of amenity land" so I figured if I bought it I would own it and could put a fence on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement