Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Going On At All!

Options
  • 04-11-2007 9:58pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Here in the west this year there was a very poor crop of blackberries alot blooms never produced berries or the berries were distorted and sour. Does anyone have an idea what was the cause?

This is also the second year that my raspberry bush has produced a second flush of berries...
    My perennial poppy produced a large red flower in mid October!!!

Bizarre 'ent the word for it all........

Anyone else see anythin strange goin on..............:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Climate change would be my guess. It is much milder now than in decades gone by, especially during the Autumn/winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

artieanna wrote: »
    Here in the west this year there was a very poor crop of blackberries alot blooms never produced berries or the berries were distorted and sour. Does anyone have an idea what was the cause?

This is also the second year that my raspberry bush has produced a second flush of berries...
    My perennial poppy produced a large red flower in mid October!!!

Bizarre 'ent the word for it all........

Anyone else see anythin strange goin on..............:eek:

Didn't notice that at all, I picked quite a few blackberries in several locations while out fishing and walking and they were delicious, I thought many of the bushes had very good crops... this was late September, perhaps they ripened earlier and you missed the best of the crop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Had no problems with black berries this year... and my raspberry bush is putting out another crop too... the black birds are loving it!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

I noticed the same it seems to be more noticeable with wild berries than garden grown ones.
    And its not just blackberries and raspberries it seemed most wild berries didn't do very well.
    As for why the wet summer may have meant less bees and other pollinating
    insects.
    And in general our climate is changing hopefully this year just happened to a particularly bad year and next year won't be as bad but most likely years like this are going to get a lot more common.

Advertisement