Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't need to subscribe to cable TV to get ntl Broadband now!

Options
  • 04-11-2007 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Noticed this while checking out their FAQ section yesterday.
    http://www.upc.ie/service/?cid=123&aid=83
    €6 monthly surcharge if you just want broadband.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I can't get that link to work. Brings me to a search page.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

I can't get that link to work. Brings me to a search page.

Yes, it's a search page, but also says:
    Do I need to subscribe to cable TV to get Broadband?
    No. However there is a €6 monthly surcharge for taking broadband only. We have great deals when you take two or more services including Digital TV and Broadband for only €9.99 for 6 months when you connect to Chorus and ntl.

Great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

What's their service like now, apart from the apparent torrent throttling? Main reason I left them was because I have sky and have no need for their tv service, but I'd go back if their service was any way decent again.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

kin9pin wrote: »
    What's their service like now, apart from the apparent torrent throttling? Main reason I left them was because I have sky and have no need for their tv service, but I'd go back if their service was any way decent again.

Just to be clear there is nothing aparent about the Torrent Throttling, its 100% real.
    Not even WOW updates will download quick now since they are torrent based.
    It seems that some areas are not affected by the throttling.
    I wouldn't mind if it worked after midnight or if it worked even at half speed but this is just madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Sure isn't the basic TV package €12 ?? You may aswell get it,its only an extra €6, cause its a decent package, although if you have sky I am not sure of its worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

€72 in a year for something he doesn't need?

fair enough I suppose your right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

watty wrote: »

Yep a whole €1.50 a week..........:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Sure isn't the basic TV package €12 ?? You may aswell get it,its only an extra €6, cause its a decent package, although if you have sky I am not sure of its worth.

Basic Analogue TV with ntl is €21.50 per month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Yep a whole €1.50 a week..........:confused:

Why would you pay 1.50 a week for something you'll never use. It just doesn't make sense for Sky subscribers to sign up to for the cable too so why would you?

I don't honestly think its that hard to understand why someone wouldn't sign up for the tv and broadband if they are getting tv elsewhere. That 75 euro or whatever over the course of the year could probably pay a good bit of a months ESB bill.

• Advertisement

stiofanD wrote: »
    Basic Analogue TV with ntl is €21.50 per month

True, which is poor value compared to viewing quality of 2 Mix packs from Sky (same price) + all the free sat channels, still there when you cancel. No free TV on Cable.

Perhaps if you have Broadband the Basic Analogue UPC is about 1/2price compared with Analogue only?

True, which is poor value compared to viewing quality of 2 Mix packs from Sky (same price) + all the free sat channels, still there when you cancel. No free TV on Cable.

Perhaps if you have Broadband the Basic Analogue UPC is about 1/2price compared with Analogue only?

Well lads, to put it in perspective I was at a wedding recently and was charged €4.60 for a bottle of Miller. Three weeks sub to NTL.......:rolleyes:
    Kinda puts it into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

amby666 wrote: »
    Yes, it's a search page, but also says:

Great news.

Thats odd. Because this page, says

http://www.upc.ie/internet/conditions/

As with all our products and services we want you to enjoy them. However there are terms and conditions for the sale and use of these products. The terms and conditions are detailed by clicking on the link below. Additional terms and conditions may apply to certain offers and these will be explained at the point of sale.

TV connection required.
    12 month contract applies. Variable cancellation fees will apply should you cancel the service during the first 12 months. Downgrades are subject to terms and conditions of contract. Residential use only. Subject to availability. Terms and conditions apply.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Well lads, to put it in perspective I was at a wedding recently and was charged €4.60 for a bottle of Miller. Three weeks sub to NTL.......:rolleyes:
    Kinda puts it into perspective.

Indeed. Why would you pay anything for something you dont want though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

This whole topic is very interesting. I currently have NTL Digital TV and 3MB BB with them. Their digital signal is pants. It's to do with the compression level they use and it looks terrible on my 42" Pioneer plasma. What is signal like on Sky digital? Would I get all the same channels I currently receive on NTL? Might be interested in switching to Sky but keeping NTL BB.

I don't like Miller either.

NTL has more compreesion and recompression. Only some of the channels on Satellite are Sky's but you get the free channels anyway. The quality depends on Channel. RTE & BBC very high.

More TV & Radio on Satellite. see ICDG in my sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The NTL analogue is handy if you have more than one TV around the house unlike paying SKY for the extra boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

With Sky you also have the option of being ripped off to get a limited number of HD channels at one stupidly high price.

We have Sky Digital and Chorus in our house (landlord pays for the Chorus). I have a 32" LG HDTV and the signal from Sky looks noticeably better. You can connect the regular Sky box with Scart and it looks reasonable enough. It doesn't look great if your sitting too close to your tv though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

I have the 3mb Chorus Broadband offering at home. I don't have Chorus TV of any kind and I did not need it to get broadband.

mj

FTA boxes @ €65 and 45 decent channels free. The pay channels can feed all the TVs (same channel on all TVs of course).
    I never seen NTL analogue that is watchable. I have a Sat receiver for each TV, and two are "piped" to all the TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Do you need cable running to your house to avail of the broadband - or can the digital arial do the trick?

I am in non-dsl land, non wireless land, mobile 3g hit and miss
    I am in Clonlara Co. Clare - if anybody else has a way of getting broadband out here I would be glad to hear!

Cheers
    Keith

• Advertisement

yeah you need cable for ntl and chorus bb

I never seen NTL analogue that is watchable.

Define watchable Watty.:) We've been down this road already in the Cable/MMDS forum.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055172434

For ex BBC Communications Enginneer or Photographer :)
    No snow, no ghosts, no artifacts, no herringbones. I get roughly DVD quality via my Analogue TV aerial (i.e. PAL vs RGB is poorer, but "Busy" parts of picture better than "average" DVD). BBC on Digital sat is OK (720x 576), but ITV3 on Digital sat is poorer than RTE analogue (544 x 576 is why). RTE do feed the Analogue transmitters digitally, but it is a much higher bit rate than Satellite and higher than many DVDs. Some "Digital Only" channels only use 384 x 288, 1/4 PAL, which is poorer than VHS (typically 350 x 576 equivalent).

My S-VHS gives better Analogue than cable Analogue.

For ex BBC Communications Enginneer or Photographer :)
    No snow, no ghosts, no artifacts, no herringbones. I get roughly DVD quality via my Analogue TV aerial (i.e. PAL vs RGB is poorer, but "Busy" parts of picture better than "average" DVD). BBC on Digital sat is OK (720x 576), but ITV3 on Digital sat is poorer than RTE analogue (544 x 576 is why). RTE do feed the Analogue transmitters digitally, but it is a much higher bit rate than Satellite and higher than many DVDs. Some "Digital Only" channels only use 384 x 288, 1/4 PAL, which is poorer than VHS (typically 350 x 576 equivalent).

My S-VHS gives better Analogue than cable Analogue.

So what you're basically saying is that content can decide quality. Given that satellites nowadays would be pretty much a transparent device (i.e. no degradation) the same could easily apply to cable, indeed to individual channels like Sky One - which can vary horrifically in quality given whatever they're pushing out at any given time.

What I'm saying is that it is a matter of timing and you simply cannot make an extremely sweeping statement that all analogue cable is bad. For an ex-BBC communications engineer I would have thought that you would be the very one who would offer similar advice. What if we were to say that terrestrial RTE reception is Ireland is crap everywhere? We would be wrong of course.

There will always be pockets - is cable no different?

I have NTL digital and analogue and the analogue is, IMHO, up there with the digital. And I have had, and have seen, Sky. Sometimes it's stunning, other times mediocre (depending on the output).

Also, regardless of whether or not RTE supply the transmitters digitally, you're still ending up with an analogue signal. Much like the output of your Sky Digital receiver box.:)

Analogue reception is poor in too much places. Over 20% don't get TV3 at all.

Delivery method and channel decide quality. Unless you are on a perfect cable segement near headend, analogue cable inherently can't compete with anything else. It's doomed. As they need the BW for HD, BB and ordinary Digital. There is not the space to waste on Analogue anymore.

I've had cable in south Dublin and two Limerick locations and been in plenty of houses with it. I have built analogue and Digital cable systems. With Digital cable you can get decent quality, but many NTL Digital channels have too low a bitrate or are recompressed feeds. For the same channels, NTL Digital is on average poorer than Satellite.

On Analogue the delivery medium quality is the main limit to quality.
    On Digital the encoded Bitrate and source resolution are the main limit to Quality. The Digital quality on most channels is "fixed". I.e. The BBC always is 720x576 peaking at 8Mbps, and some shopping channel may be always 384x288 @ 400kbps or less (Yes really!). Most channels are someplace in between.

You need a very good quality CRT or else a very HD LCD as a normal LCD/Plasma or cheap HD 1366x768 is too low a resolution to properly display all the variable resolutions that are used. (each resolution in SD is two different resolutions depending on 4:3 or animorphic for LCDs/Plasma, for a CRT with variable scan, no degradation due to pixel mismatch).

The 8 Euro RF modulator in a Sky Digibox does not produce RF with Analogue TV at anything like the quality of the Modulators and transmitters used by RTE :) However even it is better than a lot Analogue Cable TV.

Analogue reception is poor in too much places. Over 20% don't get TV3 at all.

Delivery method and channel decide quality. Unless you are on a perfect cable segement near headend, analogue cable inherently can't compete with anything else. It's doomed. As they need the BW for HD, BB and ordinary Digital. There is not the space to waste on Analogue anymore.

I've had cable in south Dublin and two Limerick locations and been in plenty of houses with it. I have built analogue and Digital cable systems. With Digital cable you can get decent quality, but many NTL Digital channels have too low a bitrate or are recompressed feeds. For the same channels, NTL Digital is on average poorer than Satellite.

On Analogue the delivery medium quality is the main limit to quality.
    On Digital the encoded Bitrate and source resolution are the main limit to Quality. The Digital quality on most channels is "fixed". I.e. The BBC always is 720x576 peaking at 8Mbps, and some shopping channel may be always 384x288 @ 400kbps or less (Yes really!). Most channels are someplace in between.

You need a very good quality CRT or else a very HD LCD as a normal LCD/Plasma or cheap HD 1366x768 is too low a resolution to properly display all the variable resolutions that are used. (each resolution in SD is two different resolutions depending on 4:3 or animorphic for LCDs/Plasma, for a CRT with variable scan, no degradation due to pixel mismatch).

The 8 Euro RF modulator in a Sky Digibox does not produce RF with Analogue TV at anything like the quality of the Modulators and transmitters used by RTE :) However even it is better than a lot Analogue Cable TV.

Do I detect a little waver there Watty?;):D Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree my friend.:)

Advertisement