Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

One million km warranty - was I hallucinating?

Options
  • 04-11-2007 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Am I reading something wrong, or is FIAT actually offering a one million kilometre warranty on the new Brava? Did I imagine the ad I just saw on RTE1?

That's 1m K's, as in 600,000 miles!

A car has generally been considered high mileage in this country if it gets over about 100,000 miles (160,000 km). You hear tales of taxi drivers getting 300,000 miles out of Nissans, Toyotas and Mercs.

But if I understand this correctly, FIAT will repair your car if it breaks down within the first million K's! Where's the catch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

As far as I've seen it's 100,000km/3 year warranty. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah, 100,000/3 years seems more likely. You proabably just counted the zero's wrong. I'm sure a 1mk warranty would have been mentioned here at some stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

nope, the OP is right, but i bet its riddled with terms and conditions.,lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

it's 1,000,000 kilometres or 3 years, whichever comes first. unless you're doing over 1000 km a day every day for 3 years, i'd imagine the time limit would hit first.

vtec wrote: »
    nope, the OP is right, but i bet its riddled with terms and conditions.,lol

is it 1mk/3years? or less years.

I suppose it's a handy marketing tool. I mean the 3 years is always going to come long before you get near 1mk's.

Even with the 100,000 /3 year warranty that others offer, the vast majority wont be near 100,000 by the time the 3 years is over so they may as well say 10,000,000km/3 years

Makes for good marketing all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

i heard the ad where it said, 1,000,000 Km Warranty.. but i reckon that the t&c's probably stipulate that the warranty is only good for defects in original workmanship during teh 1m Km, not actual wear and tear etc

as i said.. i only reckon / guess / presume that this is the case

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

1,000 Km/day that's 10 hours at 100Km handy if you have an intercity courier service. Of course you'd need several drivers.

1,000 Km/day that's 10 hours at 100Km handy if you have an intercity courier service. Of course you'd need several drivers.

You'd be a bit limited in what you ould courier around ina Brava too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

taxi?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

think the offer excludes taxis?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dr Lektroluv

Might aswell be a hundred million miles if the 3 yr warranty, sure the most ya'd get out of a fiat would probably be 70-80k anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think 3 years would be an achievement, never mind 1,000,000km

Anyway Hyundai do a 3 year UNLIMITED mileage warranty. maybe they could market it as a kazillion km warranty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

would be very handy for a company car or a taxi but its just a marketing ploy really.,

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1,000 Km/day that's 10 hours at 100Km handy if you have an intercity courier service.
    Ideal for Cormie - plus he has the experience of breaking down so the FIAT shouldn't be anything new!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

See you've all missed it. They catch you on the cost of cups of coffee in the waiting rooms! With the need to rack up that many miles on your Fiat you'll be using that coffee machine a hell of a lot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kevin123123

its 3years/unlimited mileage warranty on these cars

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

pa990 wrote: »
    .. but i reckon that the t&c's probably stipulate that the warranty is only good for defects in original workmanship during teh 1m Km, not actual wear and tear etc

...which makes it the exact same as every other warranty, from Lada to Lamborghini, and everything in between. Wear and tear items - consumables - are never covered in any warranty.

Yes, but the ad is for 1,000,000 miles............ Saw one yestarday, badged as a TJet - in the lovely red that's on the telly ad.........nice looking car.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Might aswell be a hundred million miles if the 3 yr warranty, sure the most ya'd get out of a fiat would probably be 70-80k anyway.

The auld lad has 68k on a 1 year old Fiat, would be well out of a standard 80k/3 year warranty by, well, probably January at this rate.... not given a single bit of bother either yet. My own 3 year old Fiat has way less mileage (30k miles) but the worst thats happened is the previous owner broke the wiper stalk off somehow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Great piece of advertising. "One million kms" catches the imagination much more than "unlimited mileage".

Its a fine looking car in the flesh too, saw a couple on the continent recently. FIAT's profits are up. New Punto and Panda sales have rocketed and the Bravo looks set to follow. The MJet engine is a huge success; sold on to GM amongst others and the new petrols are looking good too.

Hopefully this all bodes well so that historic names like Maserati and Alfa Romeo can continue to be free of the clutches of GM and other Spud-U-Like, one-size-fits-all giants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Fiats already have a 4 year/100,000 km warranty. One of the best warranties offered by any manufacturer, yet people continue to bash Fiat.

For a driver doing average mileage this is better than a 2 or 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...which makes it the exact same as every other warranty, from Lada to Lamborghini, and everything in between. Wear and tear items - consumables - are never covered in any warranty.

Yes, but the ad is for 1,000,000 miles............ Saw one yestarday, badged as a TJet - in the lovely red that's on the telly ad.........nice looking car.

A lot of cars have 3 years/60,000 mile warrantys, which are a bit mean. 3 year /unlimited milage is better, which is essentially what this is, but sounds better.
    And for all those Fiat bashers, it's a hell of a lot better than the insult that can't be called a proper warranty that Audi give.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Kind of a cheap shot. Can you imagine that swaying someone's opinion on whether to buy or not. Fiats are not generally renowned for their reliability, with good reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

maoleary wrote: »
    Fiats are not generally renowned for their reliability, with good reason!

That's why they are countering that preconception with this headline-grabbing ploy.
    Everybody "knew" FIATs (and Alfas) rusted before they became one of the first manufacturers to offer a 6 year anti-corrosion warranty. Hopefully they can prove their reliability now & live up to the promise; and shake off the reliability issue like they did the rust one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was an 8 year anti corrosion warranty at the start (parents 94 Uno had that lenght anyway) due to the reputation having been so bad, and so unfounded by that stage. I saw a still driving 92 Uno there some weeks ago, in 1992 a 1977 Fiat would have rusted out of existance...

Advertisement