Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for BMW alloys - help requested

Options
  • 04-11-2007 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to get a couple of spare alloys for my E34 model 520.

The tyres state on them that they are 205/65/R15 (what does this mean size-wise?) but diameter of alloy rims are 16 inches.

Attached are photos of the alloys so if anyone is selling or has seen any for sale please let me know.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

205 - refers to the width of the tire, the 65 refers to the height of the side wall, and the R15 refers to the size of the alloy wheel diameter you can fit on the tire.

Im confused as to how you alloys which you say are 16 inch fit onto you R15 tires as per photos. It looks like those wheels are 15 inchers, not 16's. Are you sure you read the wheel details correctly?

Keep an eye on the buy and sell. I picked up a set of 4 BMW wheels (205/60/R15's) for 100 euros from there 2 years ago. Also ring a few breakers yards. They should be able to tell you over the phone what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Im confused as to how you alloys which you say are 16 inch fit onto you R15 tires as per photos. It looks like those wheels are 15 inchers, not 16's. Are you sure you read the wheel details correctly?

I measured the diameter of the alloy apart from the tyre and it was 16 inches, think it's the inner rim that may be 15 inches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Those alloys were very common on the old old 5-series... you should have no problem getting them in breakers yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

V1llianous wrote: »
    I measured the diameter of the alloy apart from the tyre and it was 16 inches, think it's the inner rim that may be 15 inches.

Just check the inside rim of the wheel (may have to take wheel off to view). I think the official wheel size should be stamped somewhere in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If the tyres are 15", the rims must be 15" too! No?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

15" tyres will not fit on 16" wheels unless you manage to stretch or rip them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

kbannon wrote: »
    15" tyres will not fit on 16" wheels unless you manage to stretch or rip them

or take a hammer to the wheel....:D

Advertisement