Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Correcting after reversing

Options
  • 04-11-2007 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

If you reverse around the corner -- and find yourself a bit too wide -- can you turn the wheel left (pushing your nose out and your backend in) and then turn it right again to straighten up?

As you've just come around the corner I mean - so you've reversed onto the road - and your nose is sort of in line with the top of the road.

Or is this considered bad?

Test on Tuesday and I've been practicing but sometimes I can go a bit wide. Other times I nail it. Just if it's one of my off reverses -- can I correct it?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dr Lektroluv

Just go verrrrrrry slow.. line the passenger mirror up with the kerb and once the kerb disappears start turning the wheel but do it all insanely slowly - there's no time limit and if you go slowly you can anticipate an error well in advance and correct it before it becomes a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

But if I'm turning and I'm not sure how wide I'll end up (if I think I might be out) I don't want to turn too much and then hit the kerb. So you can readjust ? even if you go slow and you don't realise you're wide - will you be faulted for readjusting?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

star-pants wrote: »
    But if I'm turning and I'm not sure how wide I'll end up (if I think I might be out) I don't want to turn too much and then hit the kerb. So you can readjust ? even if you go slow and you don't realise you're wide - will you be faulted for readjusting?
    Reverse slowly and keep an eye on your nearside rear wheel via the nearside mirror. You shouldn't allow it to go too wide.

Steering - a little on, a little off - no drastic changes!

Although it's referred to as 'reversing around a corner' it's really more of a bend than a corner.

Ok - thanks guys :) -- I'm going to get some more practise in daylight hours tomorrow - hopefully I won't mess it up on the day.

star-pants wrote: »
    Ok - thanks guys :) -- I'm going to get some more practise in daylight hours tomorrow - hopefully I won't mess it up on the day.
    Don't forget the observation. It's as important as the actual manoeuvre itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭kelly1979

hey, this happened my friend the day of her test, when she reversed around the corner she swung too wide, the fella she was getting lessons off said that if you mess up something like this on your test you are entitled to ask if you can have another try.
    My friend did her reversing around the corner again and it worked out fine; she passed her test first go.
    Best of luck with your test!!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dubambman

I did my test the other day, was an absolute mile out from the kerb, got one grade 2 for it and still passed, and also the tester said i was a very competant driver, the main thing is the observation, its not so much a driving test as it is a safety test, if you are observant and cautious you'll be fine.

Just to note though, i was doing the test in a big saloon and he might have given me a bit more latitude.

Also if you are a mile out, the other thing to make sure is not to throw another one away by failing to take proper precautions when moving off such as indicating out and checking blindspots, easy to do if you are in the middle of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Also, dont forget to readjust your side mirror back if you adjusted it for the reverse round corner.

Also, dont forget to readjust your side mirror back if you adjusted it for the reverse round corner.
    .....and refasten the seatbelt (if it has been unfastened!).

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dubambman

.....and refasten the seatbelt (if it has been unfastened!).

Are you sure it is still permissable to reverse with your seatbelt off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

dubambman wrote: »
    Are you sure it is still permissable to reverse with your seatbelt off.

It is.

Just to give feedback -- I did pass my test that day.
    I took my corner nice and slow (whilst good observation) and tightened in when I felt I might be going a little wide. She kept me reversing a good bit when I got around the corner but I wasn't miles out so I was happy.

Practise and then slow & steady will win the race :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭abcxyz123

during my test i did the worst reverse of my life....i ended up in the middle of the road!! but i just got 1 grade 2 for competency and i still passed the test.

Advertisement