Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a safe, central area

Options
  • 04-11-2007 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm moving to Dublin.
    I'll be finishing work after 11pm most nights and walking home. My missus will be walking home by herself occasionally after dark.
    I've been thinking about getting an apartment in the IFSC. Can anyone tell me how safe that area would be at night?
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

bangmangi wrote: »
    I'm moving to Dublin.
    I'll be finishing work after 11pm most nights and walking home. My missus will be walking home by herself occasionally after dark.
    I've been thinking about getting an apartment in the IFSC. Can anyone tell me how safe that area would be at night?
    Many thanks.

There's a huge thread here somewhere on living in the docklands (IFSC).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Last bus to almost everywhere is 23:30, so no absolute need to walk. Night bus on quite a few routes most nights. www.dublinbus.ie
    It is reasonably safe/ I would put in the following qualifications:

* I can get quite at night on some of the streets, this is compounded by the current construction work for Luas www.luas.ie
    * There are problems is some surrounding areas, mostly drugs and petty crime, which led to a murder in the IFSC earlier in the year. However, assuming you aren't there to deal drugs, it isn't a problem.
    * Some individual aprtment blocks probably suffer from noises, parties, etc.

On the good side:

* All the apartments should be of a reasonable standard, having been built in the last 20 years.
    * Little through traffic - less noise.
    * Good access to the city centre and transport.
    * Lots of local services, although they might be a little expensive as they are aimed at the financial services type people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bangmangi

Thanks for the comprehensive answer Victor - very helpful.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Lived in the IFSC for two years - never had any problems there.

I'm a bloke but I'm not exactly intimidating and nobody ever gave me hassle late at night (I was far more apprehensive of nearby Talbot Street). I'd imagine not much has change that your gf need worry.

As Victor noted, there is some crime in the area which resulted in a murder (outside the shop I used to buy groceries from). It is not characteristic of the area and the only locals I ever really saw were young kids who didn't really cause much hassle. Didn't find the area too noisy (unlike Smithfield which I lived in subsequently).

Shop wise there's a good selection but they're pretty pricey - the Spar and MACE are alright (featured in TV's "Prosperity" and the movie "Adam and Paul" if you want a view!) - bigger than average but lacking in some of the stuff you might like if you're making a more gourmet meal. The Marks & Spencers there only does food and it's very nice but far too expensive, IMO, to eat out of everyday. I'm assuming these places are all still around. Other than that I used to do bigger shops in the Jervis Street Tesco and Iceland (when it existed!).

All in all it's a nice area (quite expensive now - 33% more than when we were first there!) and for the city centre, probably one of the best in terms of balancing quietness, comfort and location.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭binhead

whereabouts will you be working? like are you restriceted to any particular area? I've lived all about dublin but have been in ballsbridge the last few years, ten minute walk to stephen's green and a realy nice area day and night.

My girlfriend walks home to there from the IFSC most evenings and some nights depending on study etc and she's never had any hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bangmangi

Good to get all these responses - cheers.
    @binhead: I have been seriously considering Ballsbridge. I'll be working at Sir John Rogerson's Quay. I've also seen places available along the route to O'Connell St from there (Lime St, Poolbeg St etc), but don't know whether those are ancient draughty buildings or what.
    I'll be in Dublin from next Monday for a few days, so hopefully I can have a proper walk around, but that can only tell you so much. Always good to hear from people with extended experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

The south side of the quays,although being built up extensivly now,would not be as well catered for with shops etc as the ifsc area. Actually all thats there is a pub, (the ferryman) a hotel and maybe a spar,it is though just a skip across from ifsc on the foot bridge.I'm guessing that the new apartments on the rogersons side would be cheaper than the ifsc and definatly cheaper than d4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

On the northside of the dockland depending on where you live you could well have to listen to nightly screaming matches on Sheriff Street and kids stoning your gaff at the weekends. I lived there for six months about four years ago and moved out. Horrendous. No atmosphere, completely dead after 6pm and the weekend. It's gotten a bit better since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've also seen places available along the route to O'Connell St from there (Lime St, Poolbeg St etc), but don't know whether those are ancient draughty buildings or what.
    Around Lime Street, most buildings would be very new, but I think the streets there might get too quiet at night, except Pearse Street, where sometimes you don't know what you'll meet.

Poolbeg Street is very central, but might suffer from night-time and early morning noise. All the apartments would be new except for one building which is a recent renovation.

Advertisement