Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very excited - getting a Westie

• 04-11-2007 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hello - am a total newbie

Thinking of getting a Westie and even have picked the name (Toby, of course in case you didn't guess from user name!)

Anyhooo any opinions? Are boys or girls a better bet? Are they easy to train and are they ok with being left sometimes for most of the day? Last time I had a dog was when I was a kid and I didn't do much walking, cleaning etc so am a real newbie to dog care!!

Anyone have any tips etc that I need to know?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from the Helpdesk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

tobytobe wrote: »
    are they ok with being left sometimes for most of the day?

Only experience I have with Westies is that the dog wasn't a good one when she was left alone for any period of time.

She required constant companionship, something worth considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Westies can incredibly aggressive and terratorial - coming from my sister who is a vetinerary nurse - her exact words were 'They're savage'. We used to have one when we were younger and had to be eventually put down due to an incurable skin condition which they are terribly prone to as a breed. They are cute to look at but not ideal pets especially when kids are around.

What sort of pet are you looking for? Why did you choose to get a westie in particular? Why not pop down to your local shelter and see what they have instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

We have a female westie - see my other thread on how to get her to stop chewing things at 1 yr old!
    They're pretty intelligent dogs, quick to pick up training but incredibly headstrong and independent also - if they don't want to do something, they will resist, whereas other dogs may be quicker to obey.

One thing to watch out for - I was told before we got this dog (and it turned out to be true) that westies tend towards "talkativeness" - lots of vocalisation, ie loud yawns, barks, yips, growls etc. Also told that their growl tends to be totally disproportinate to their size - it's true. For such a little dog, when she growls, it sounds like a much bigger dog, so perhaps warn anyone who will be coming in contact with her that her growl sounds much worse that it is :) Tendency towards being territorial, as mentioned above, so if there's kids around, make sure they know not to aggravate the dog - even something as simple as approaching towards them when they're eating may set them off growling/snarling.

There's a lot of upkeep with a westie grooming wise - you'll have to be prepared for lots of baths/grooming/combing to keep their coat in good order, and especially watch out for tangles in their "armpits" - you need to tease these out and not let them mat as they can become tight and painful for the dog if left ungroomed. A longhaired dog will need more washing and grooming especially as a pup - you'll need to keep their rear end clipped shorter to avoid poo or pee sticking to them, and their faces will need washing after food if it's wet. Hair needs constant trimming to keep it out of eyes too.

They are a dog that prefers company, something to consider if you have to leave them alone for long periods.

They are lovely little dogs, but if this is your first dog, and you're not confident with the care etc, would a rescue dog (mongrel of some sort) be a better choice? Mongrels tend towards calmer temperaments than purebred dogs do, and shorthaired dogs are easier with the upkeep and grooming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Glowing wrote: »
    Westies can incredibly aggressive and terratorial - coming from my sister who is a vetinerary nurse - her exact words were 'They're savage'.

LOL, originally I was going to reply with 'Ah the original devil dog'!.

My mother's was the devil himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

My sister has 2 westies and they really are a handful. They need constant attention but in the end they give you constant attention in return! Its true about them being teritorial, my sister has a young child and she has to watch the dog and her like a hawk. The really are lovely pets but need lots and lots of work. Maybe they would not be the best first time dog. BTW also need lots and lots of exercise and would prob need a big garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Hi

I have a westie that is 4 months, male, Gerry. He is great. He loves his walks and playing. He prefers to be outside which is ideal. We both work, which means he is on his own during the day. At the start we had people that called during the day to make sure he was ok but they said all he was doing was sleeping. Even at weekends he just sleeps during the day and then around 5, way hay, he is full of beans!!

He doesnt bark too much, yet!!

He was easy enough to train but we were strict enough on him from an early age.

He is great, lovely dog!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

We have two westies, both about 4. We did hear a lot of stories about them being grumpy and ill mannered dogs, but if that's the general view then our two are definitely out of the norm. They love attention and get into fits of excitement when a stranger comes into our house. They never bite, or growl, though they love barking at birds and the like. Maybe our ones gentle personalities are a result of their conditioning....they sleep inside, under the blankets of our beds, and have never spent a night of their lives elsewhere. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

I would recommend a Female westie. I am a dog groomer and i have had no problems behavior wise when it comes to the females :D The males on the other hand can be a handful. Then again it all depends on how you bring up a westie don't spoil him/her too much.

On the grooming side: Yes they are prone to skin problems and their coat will need to be kept tangle free. Too often i hear he/she won't let me brush him/her. You should introduce your westie to the brush at an early age, it will avoid a lot of hassle for when they are older. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobytobe

Crikey
    I had no idea they were such little demons!!
    I always just liked them with their happy smiley faces - they always look so friendly - and I love the way they always run around all excited....
    no kids yet so that is ok...just bought new house though so might be a worry with the chewing of things!!

thanks for all the replies though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

If this is your first dog, do you feel you would be up to the training aspect of a westie?

Why not consider a rescue greyhound? Hundreds of threads if you do a quick search - they're very calm and quiet and make great family pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

They are prone to getting excited if visitors call - for the first good few months expect little dribbles of pee when they get excited too ;)

As for grooming - houndsoflove is right - our westie got her first bath the day we got her (she was a bit grubby smelling from the straw she was nestled in with her mum) and got her first experience of brushing the same day.

Now she will actually go to the bathroom herself when you tell her and hop into the bath ready and waiting for her bath, and will then trot to where the hairdryer is in the spare bedroom waiting for a quick blast of cool air to take the heavy dampness out of her. She is not too fond of getting combed or brushed if her hair is particularly matted, but will grudgingly put up with it, and will stand stock still while we trim her facial hair round her eyes.

Glowing's idea of a rescue greyhound is good - lovely pets, good with kids, great temperament, and you'd be saving a dog too who might not otherwise have a home while you're at it.

Not all westies are little terrors (havok's being a case in point, and ours is pretty good natured too) but most are rambunctious as pups, and generally remain territorial. Ours just hasn't calmed down yet as she's having too much fun rolling round play-fighting with our other dog and our poor put-upon cat. Oh, and if you want to save some time on the grooming - get a cat! our cat will sit for half an hour at a time grooming the westie when they snuggle on the couch, handy or what ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

CAn I just recommend anyone thinking of buying a dog researches them on the net ( NOT breeders websites ) but gets a good book or some impartial info on the breed.

What a breeder tells you is what they want you to hear.

I echo all the above about Westies - we have had 2 in the family and one was a total savage with the vet / groomer etc

The little man we have now is a rescue westie - stubborn as hell , bold as brass , tempermental and difficult but a loving little chap on the other hand.

Great at the groomers and the vets and lets us handle him very well.
    I would recommend neutering males in any case but particularly a stubborn breed like the westie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

tobytobe wrote: »
    no kids yet so that is ok...

If you think there is even a remote possibility that you will have kids in the next decade then you have to be thinking about that before you get a dog. When we got our dogs we knew we would be hoping to have a family when the dogs were 2 or 3 so from day one that has been to the fore of our minds while training them. Otherwise you end up with a situation where you either have to get rid of the dog when a baby comes or the dog hurts the child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

We have a male Westie and he's an absolute sweetheart. Very intelligent and a real little personality around the place. He is a bit headstrong but not in any way agressive - he'll just make sure you know it when he's a bit pee'd off with you! Loves cuddles and is very affectionate. He's also a big fan of x-factor!

He's at home on his own most days with no problems and is well settled into his routine. He loves his walks and will follow you around the house when it gets to walk time to make sure you get the message. If you don't get it fast enough he'll remind you - loudly!:D

Our guy was sooo cute when he was a puppy - you'll love yours to pieces there is no way not to. They are the best companions ever

One piece of advice, they are susceptible to 'Little Shaker Syndrome' which ours developed a couple of months ago. It comes on them before they are 2 years old and stays but can be treated. A bit scary when he got the first attack but thankfully we seem to be over the worst of it now. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobytobe

iguana wrote: »
    If you think there is even a remote possibility that you will have kids in the next decade then you have to be thinking about that before you get a dog. When we got our dogs we knew we would be hoping to have a family when the dogs were 2 or 3 so from day one that has been to the fore of our minds while training them. Otherwise you end up with a situation where you either have to get rid of the dog when a baby comes or the dog hurts the child.

Yeah I know what you are saying. We are probably at least two years off having a baby but I take your point. What with the general opinion being that Westies are "The Devil's Dog" :D I am thinking it might be best to just take a trip on down to the shelter and get the one with the biggest, sorriest looking eyes!! I would not mind the training aspect and know there would be serious work involved with care, etc but I'll check out the suggested sites too so thanks a mill for all your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

With regard to westies, I know that most of the behavioural problems are with the male dogs, females don't seem to be as bad. Lots of people get them thinking they are cute cuddly little chocolate box dogs, when in reality these were originally working terriers, they are tough and hardy (or so they think), and very quick to bite. Subsequently they are spoiled, this is, i believe, the root to most of these issues. If you get one, never spoil it, it must never be allowed on the sofa or onto your own bed. They must be taught strict ground rules from day one, or you will have a cantankerous little **** on your hands. :mad: I do know of several people (yes, personally) that have had to have their westie PTS because they have bitten the children, I know the westie owners will be horrified, but thats the truth, i would not recommend them as family pets.
    Alternatively, just get a greyhound, perfect dogs!!! I'm not biased just because i have two (lucky me!!!), i am around greyhounds a lot (racing, coursing, and traumatised rescue dogs too), I have yet to meet a more lovable, more tolerant animal.:)

Advertisement