Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Mac Dual Boot

• 05-11-2007 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a Macbook after hearing that Macs can now dual boot with OSX and Windows working at the same time.

I have a copy of XP on disk from my old laptop. Will this work as a copy to put on my new Macbook or will Windows block the registration as it was on my Dell laptop already.

The interesting thing is that I already installed XP again on a brand new hard drive I put into my laptop which never asked for registration with the Windows website to work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you should be alright if the XP disc isn't a DELL specific one.

ie. some - nay all - operating system discs that come with dell machines are locked to the bios of the machine it comes with. it is also common for dell to slipstream the cd-key on to the Xp disc so that the user doesn't have to re-register if they need to reinstall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

yeah, afraid it is a Dell XP disk.

On 2nd thoughts, I can get my hands on a Vista disk that came with a Sony Vaio. Would this be totally off limits with all sorts of security measures on it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

AFAIK, the windows CD has to be a retail version (i.e. one you bought separately from the PC) rather than an OEM that you get from Dell, Sony, HP, etc.

Moving to windows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

irlrobins is right. In any case you can't* transfer the license from an OEM copy of windows (e.g. Sony/Dell) as it would be considered software piracy.

*I'm aware that separately bought (from a full machine) OEM copies can be transferred in some instances

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Big time no-no

OEM license lives and dies with the motherboard it was first installed on.
    unless
    - you are a corporate customer who upgrades it to software assurance within the first 90 days
    or
    - the motherboard is replaced under warranty by the original manufacturer

also the resellers are not even supposed to sell OEM to end users and most definitely not without a motherboard.

If you want to stick windows on a MAC
    you have to buy a retail copy
    you can't even buy an upgrade for your OEM because the upgrade would be still bound to the original motherboard

one option is to buy a second hand retail copy of windows and then upgrade it
    <thread locked>

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement