Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting DJing - Numark

• 05-11-2007 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi, I've decided to finally start DJing. My musical tastes would lie in the hip hop/r'n'b/old skool soul/soulful house & dance/Latin type of hemisphere. Almost all of my music is on cd or digital format (MP3, flac, aac, mp4 etc.) and I was wondering what's the best option in terms of starting off and being flexible to use both CDS and laptop. The Numark MP 302 and Numark CM200 USB have been strongly recommended to me but so has the kam kcd 1000 cdg and the kam kap 1000. Which should I go for?? Also it has been pointed out to me that I'll prob have to do bread n' butter gigs where I have to play 60s, chart, rebel songs etc to keep the punters happy, but does anyone have any tips on how to get into playing stuff you're into in Clubs/Pubs/Parties, esp. around dublin? It was also suggested to me that I get BEHRINGER EUROLIVE B212A speakers for doing parties etc. Any tips or opinions, I'd be very grateful to read them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Well, I'll offer a few words of advice...

Stay away from K - A - M !

The numark CM200 USB is a grand mixer - I recently Bought one and use it with a Kontrol DJ midi controller with Traktor 3 on laptop - Dual USB only works with software properly on a Mac.

CD's ? .. if your gonna go with a laptop kit why bother :confused: it doesn't take alot to rip a tune on the fly and keep an Ipod shuffle handy if you happen to crash mid gig.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sian

ya tanks. It was just suggested to me by someone to have cds as a backup but I agree about just having the mp3 player as a back up. It defo won't be an i pod tho. hate em. gettin an archos or a cowo in the next few days. What do ya mean by 'Dual USB only works with software properly on a Mac'. So you think i shouldn't bother gettin a cd mixer at all? Thanks for the input by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I'd always have a cd backup just incase. You never know???

Have a look at Numarks D2, I'm using one. Once you get it setup correct its brill.

Behringer gear is not worth it. Much better getting something else. What sort of budget you got set out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

No I dont think cd's are needed at all unless you want a backup-backup device.

NUMARK D2 DIRECTOR + CM200 usb in your case would be perfect IMHO to play MP3's gigging via an external hard drive and have your arkaos for emergencies.

No need for any CD's either that or Torq xponant if you really want to go the laptop route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Anyone got any experience with the Torq Xponant? Have been looking at them as an option for getting back into Djing.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill lads. A bit indecisive now between Numark D2 and Numark MP 302. Numark D2 looks sexy but still thinking maybe i should go for the 302.

:eek:Doesn't the 302 allow me to do all the things the D2 does AND use cds????
    Maybe I'm being silly but I just feel like I should have some experience of mixing with CDS. You can tell me if i'm silly.

:eek:Would I be able to play and mix stuff off my digital player (an iaudio or an archos, not an ipod), laptop, external hard drive and mess with tempo and pitch etc using the MP 302 as easily as I would with the Numark D2?

:eek:Or would I have to spend more money and time on software to do those things with the MP 302?

Does all my stuff have to be on MP3 or can these yokes support other files like flac. mp4, ogg etc.

Is the Numark D2 a big learning curve for a beginner do ya think?

ye're legends, all

oh! and if you reckon the behringers aren't good speakers can you suggest any others???

Thanks

sian wrote: »
    Thanks a mill lads. A bit indecisive now between Numark D2 and Numark MP 302. Numark D2 looks sexy but still thinking maybe i should go for the 302.

:eek:Doesn't the 302 allow me to do all the things the D2 does AND use cds????
    Maybe I'm being silly but I just feel like I should have some experience of mixing with CDS. You can tell me if i'm silly.

:eek:Would I be able to play and mix stuff off my digital player (an iaudio or an archos, not an ipod), laptop, external hard drive and mess with tempo and pitch etc using the MP 302 as easily as I would with the Numark D2?

:eek:Or would I have to spend more money and time on software to do those things with the MP 302?

Does all my stuff have to be on MP3 or can these yokes support other files like flac. mp4, ogg etc.

Is the Numark D2 a big learning curve for a beginner do ya think?

ye're legends, all

The MP302 does not support attaching USB devices to it so with that the 2 units are not the same.

The D2 would need you to have another dual cd unit to play cd, so extra cost there.

The D2 will only read usb HD's not laptops. So you would need to have your laptop hooked up to your mixer and simple swap over to it mid gig.

The D2 does have tempo and pitch options on it.

You can hook lots of usb devices to it like an ipod. Its requires some setting up before you can use it. Go to http://forums.numark.com/ and do some reading up on it. D2 does read most file types. If your using itunes it plays there extension but not the ACC protected, no player plays them apart from itunes and ipod(but not when connected to the D2). The mp4 is a file extension of ACC so it does work.

If you looking for sometihng else, Denon's 2500 is a hd unit and simply add the 4500 dual cd unit and its all in one. For about 1500euros later.

Lastly, the D2 is dummy proof. Even i could use it after 5 mins. :D

The numark forum made up my mind in a week on getting the unit. I use it with Denon mixer DN X-500 and a bog standard Numark CDN22 dual cd unit for backup. I also have my laptop there hooked up to the mixer so I can download songs of itunes if I don't have them and someone requests it :) The mixer is a 8 channel one and its by far the best value for money mixer i could find. The D2 come with a usb keyboard for easy browsing of files. Any way, sound like I work for Numark.....go make up your own mind ;)

oh! and if you reckon the behringers aren't good speakers can you suggest any others???

Thanks

whats the budget.....???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Hi Sian, I have this set up I have these http://www.behringer.com/E1520A/index.cfm?lang=eng run it with a kool 1700W amp, and a 00DJ http://www.pcdj.co.uk/shop/item.php?id=35 I know the last item would be out of your league, but if ever you get a spare 3.5K euros, get one! You can connect an iPod, external CD drive, (you get one with it) and the PCDJ software, but you can use other progs as well, like Virtual DJ etc.

DJ Spider

• Advertisement

Hi uncle bill. thanks a mill. It sounds like the D2 is the way to go. Do you find it handy enough to unplug and plug in to the laptop when you wanna use it mid gig. It strikes me as a good way to go also because my laptop memory is very little so this sounds like I can do all my mixing without downloading any software. skippidy do!!! As for my budget with the speakers, somewhere around €230 each. I'm not really sure yet. That's how much the Behringer eurolive B212A 12" are. Hmmm I also need to get a flight case.
    Thanks, Sian

Thanks dj spider. Yep you're right about 3.5 grand that won't be happenin in the near future. I'll keep the Behringers you suggested in mind

Hi uncle bill. thanks a mill. It sounds like the D2 is the way to go. Do you find it handy enough to unplug and plug in to the laptop when you wanna use it mid gig. It strikes me as a good way to go also because my laptop memory is very little so this sounds like I can do all my mixing without downloading any software. skippidy do!!! As for my budget with the speakers, somewhere around €230 each. I'm not really sure yet. That's how much the Behringer eurolive B212A 12" are. Hmmm I also need to get a flight case.
    Thanks, Sian

I have the whole lot mounted into this.

https://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/EUR/ViewProductDetail-Start;pgid=hfiS8fSZObR000000000000000002uHgIcGO?ProductRef=DJE0001310-000%40MusicStore-MusicStoreShop&JumpTo=OfferList

Only drawback is that its not a hard case on top. So you have to be carefull with it. I have a simple phono lead to the laptop from the mixer. So yeah its easy enough. Open flight case, plug one power lead in, 2 XLR's to PA and one to Laptop....simple.

If you can avoid Behringer i would. You get what you pay for.

I would not be plugging and un pluggin the laptop mid gig either.....

Advertisement