Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ok paid VRT 2 months ago now what?

Options
  • 05-11-2007 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

Paid VRT on a car 2 months ago, did not get anything since.
    I do not have a new "Certificate of ownership", and I have been told I need this to tax my car, cause it is not taxed atm. I do not ride it anyway...

Anybody would be kind to point me out to the right direction, I am a bit lost.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

When you paid the VRT, you would have been given a form RF100. This is all you need to tax the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Anan1 wrote: »
    When you paid the VRT, you would have been given a form RF100. This is all you need to tax the car.

Hum no I got nothing like that, just my Laser card receipt and a page with my reg number.
    This is a used car.

And how come I have no new "certificate of ownership", if I got stopped by the police, I can not prove this is my car. Weird no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You must tax the car before an ownership book is sent to you. If you have misplaced your RF100, log onto Motortax.ie with your Reg number, and the last 6 digits of your Chassis number. Pay your tax for 3/6/12 months, and the ownership book will come to you in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd give the VRO a call, any time I paid VRT I was always given a form RF100.

Alright thanks guys
    For sure I did not get a RF100.
    And regarding the taxation, I do not see the link between tax engine and ownership. As far as I know my car does not belong to the tax office.
    Weirdness :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The system changed about 3 years ago. People were buying/importing cars, receiving the ownership books, and not bothering to tax the cars for months. The system is now designed, so that you must pay the additional road tax immediately, and only then they'll send you your ownership book. Ransom I believe it's called :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

You can get form RF100 on http://www.offaly.ie/NR/rdonlyres/78DB89B7-5A9B-438F-B678-3008AE7131E0/716/rf100amotortaxrenewal.pdf or simply call down to a motor tax office or Garda Station.

Pretty simple to fill out, really. Once they know you're insured then Bob's your uncle.

You have to get the Reg Plate printed yourself. You have the cert with your new number.

Alright thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

Try taxing in online - put in your reg number and then put the last 4 digits/letters of your chassis number in as your PIN when asked - this has always worked for me when taxing an imported car for the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

This thread raises a question for me. I imported a car in June, paid the VRT but have not taxed or used it since. I am not that bothered about not having the ownership cert at the moment, but when I do want to get it, will I have to pay the back tax as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Demo - no, you won't. I just got my car's RF100 from the garage that supplied it - it was imported and VRT paid over a year ago, but never taxed, so no 'log book' every sent out.

I just went to Garda with form for taxing the car and got them to stamp the section stating it was off the road - no arrears due. Very straightforward.

The online thing will work too - just put in the last 6 digits of the VIN no, but you will have to pay back tax. It can't handle 'off the road' situation, you have to do that manually.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement