Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Top Gear last night

Options
  • 05-11-2007 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭

I know there is a TG forum but it doesn't seem to get much traffic so I said I would post it here instead.

Did anyone catch last night's episode of TG? Where they had to buy 3 old bangers and drive 1,000 miles from one side of Botswana to the other. Clarkson bought an old Lancia Beta, May bought a 70s Merc W123 and the Hamster bought a 44 year old Opel Kadett. They drove through deserts, game reserves, mountains, rivers, etc. If anyones car died that person had to finish the trip in a clapped out VW Beetle. Of course the Lancia broke Clarkson's heart in typical Italian fashion.

I must say I found it to be one of the best episodes of TG I've seen in a long time. Very entertaining imo, especially when Clarkson and Hammond put pieces of raw meat inside what was left of Captain Slow's Merc while driving through the game park.

Anyone else think so?

For anyone who missed it I think it is repeated again at 19:00 on Tuesday night on BBC2.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

Thought it was great stuff - but as usual you'll either love it or hate it. Roll on the "I wish they'd get back to cars" heckling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I thought it was great - odd twas the whole show but I don't mind :)
    I just loved Hamsters face -- he was delighted with himself that he was getting places unmodified lol. And the look on his face when they fixed it after the water... brilliant.

*crash* "sorry I've no breaks" ...
    That trip had to have been so cool for them to do.

p.s. what was the Archbishop Desmond credits bit to do with? (Did I miss something at the start /during?)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Good entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

star-pants wrote: »
    p.s. what was the Archbishop Desmond credits bit to do with? (Did I miss something at the start /during?)
    I guess it was a reference to Archbishop Desmond Tutu, but seeing as he's South African and not from Zimbabwe, Mozambique or Namibia, the 3 countries they visited, rather a geographically inaccurate one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

Stig's African cousin was a good laugh too! He can drive!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Would anyone take a guess on the Stig's African cousin in that episode being Lewis Hamilton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SNL

Thought that myself but then thought he would not of got time off mid season depends whenever it was shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

bazz26 wrote: »
    Would anyone take a guess on the Stig's African cousin in that episode being Lewis Hamilton?

It's a nice thought and it crossed my mind too...

!00% certain he would not get time off for this. Besides Ron Dennis - control freak that he is - wouldn't allow it. Has anyone seen the ITV awards this week where Hamilton presents an award to Jeremy Clarkson? It's on YouTube (split into 2 downloads), including a short movie of Clarkson's career. JC also brilliantly hi-jacks the opportunity to ensure Dennis allows Ham to participate. Don't have the URL at the moment, sorry...

Apparantly he'll be the 'Star in a RP Car' in a few weeks time.:D

(Not that i like the guy - Far too much hype and I'm one of the people that believe Alonso was screwed this year...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

It was a great show, nearly as good as the special they did in the US last year.
    Alun wrote: »
    ...Zimbabwe, Mozambique or Namibia, the 3 countries they visited...

BTW it was Botswana they drove accross, they never went near Mozambique, its to the East of Zimbabwe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

he was darker then lewis hamilton...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Great episode :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Yeah, enjoyed it too - laughed out load a couple of times.

Hammond was very funny - think he fell in love with 'Oliver' :D

I thought the driving through the dust was excellent - and the river crossing :D:D

Think I'll watch it again now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The TG forum would have more traffic is people stopped posting about the programme here!

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    The TG forum would have more traffic is people stopped posting about the programme here!

Mike.

The thing is though that most people on the Motors forum probably don't know that a seperate TG forum exists or probably go to it from here. Catch 22 maybe.

Maybe the Motors mods can put a sticky up linking to it or the TG forum should be moved under the Motors Forum altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

richie_rvf wrote: »

Think I'll watch it again now....

Richie - I'm looking for a bit from the show, where are you watching it again from out of curiosity? I'm specifically looking for the bit where May starts coughing his lung up on dust (don't ask!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

ya last nights was brilliant(as usual):D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

really enjoyed last nights one
    now last weeks was a bit stale and I thought it was going down hill but in true TG fashion it was very entertaining.......obviously I miss the cars but eh if its that good next week I wont complain:D

bazz26 wrote: »
    The thing is though that most people on the Motors forum probably don't know that a seperate TG forum exists or probably go to it from here. Catch 22 maybe.

Maybe the Motors mods can put a sticky up linking to it or the TG forum should be moved under the Motors Forum altogether?

Indeed, in truth I never quite saw the point of a seperate foum esp stranded in the TV cluster.

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Possibly because it's now more entertainment related that an actual motor show.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I don't like the episode/series. I'd prefer if they reviewed cars. meh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Great show. It's up there with the polar special that they did. I think I'll consign it to the keep list on Sky+:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

MarkN wrote: »
    Richie - I'm looking for a bit from the show, where are you watching it again from out of curiosity? I'm specifically looking for the bit where May starts coughing his lung up on dust (don't ask!).

Hi Mark,

I have it on sky +

I have yet to record anything from it onto hard drive or disc - any tips?

I have a DVD recorder that I could connect to it....

Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

i did enjoy it but I will ask the question again - is there any decent car shows out there ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

richie_rvf wrote: »
    Hi Mark,

I have it on sky +

I have yet to record anything from it onto hard drive or disc - any tips?

I have a DVD recorder that I could connect to it....

Richie.

Info: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055171310

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

If you have Sky, one of the Discovery channels had "Auto Trader", with Mike Brewer (he with the annoying cockney delboy accent) and his tall mate Edd China, running all day long yesterday, one episode after another! This is the type of show Top Gear used to be... so be careful what you wish for...!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Really disappointed. All that meat, and not one lion attack? Fo' shame ******, fo' shame.

Wheeler Dealers was never like TG really, I don't recall too much about fixing cars ever.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

mike65 wrote: »
    Wheeler Dealers was never like TG really, I don't recall too much about fixing cars ever.

Mike.

What I meant was, it loosely followed that sort of format - half-hour long, relatively serious, "normal car" reviews, etc.. I guess the Top Gear people decided that in the age of multi-channel saturation and the internet they needed to do something very different.

True, it was dying on its arse towards the end of its 30 min-post Clarkson era. Too many Ducatis did for it. ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement

5th Gear was probably as close as you get to a spiritual successor to the original Top Gear format. Ironic considering most of the cast came from Top Gear too. Vicky, Tiff and Quinten all worked on TG at one stage.

I think Top Gear has evolved and needed to do so to survive. There were just too many car review programs on TV and it's being done to death so they had to offer something different. Granted it's not always about cars but the entertainment factor always revolves around motoring and has captured viewers who know nothing about motoring or had no interest.

I think it is a good formula rather the usual boring test driving a car and commenting about how practical the boot is or how good the quality of the dashboard plastics are.

Advertisement