Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone Clone €100ish

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Nice post Fighting Irish.

Just looking at some other stuff on that site, seems like good value.

Theres a Wii remote/nunchuck pack that works out at €46.20.
    considering the wii remote on its own is €45 euro seems like a good bargain.

Bazual.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Have you read reviews of it? From what I've seen they are a load of crap.

Plus you'll have to factor in import duty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Very tempting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Tempted to get one as well... If anyone does, write up a review boards-style.

One of those has a 1.3 MP camera, the other has a 2.0 MP camera. Strange..
    Anyone know how likely they are to work on o2 in Donegal? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

No wifi, count me out.

• Advertisement

The wiimote charging stand and battery pack looks quite good, may invest in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think they all have 1.3MP camera, with a fake 2MP sticker. The color on the screens looks very washed out as well, but for that price, you're laughing.

edit: And what the hells this nonsense about the iPhone not supporting MMS? Surely that could not be true...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

That phone looks sweet for the price
    Has anyone bought one ?
    Is it compatible with a 2gb SD memory card?
    What is the inbuilt memory (without free card)

Dont think there is inbuilt memory, and I think it takes 2gb. Thats from reading the reviews though, may not be entirely accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9239

This phone looks better again and it's only €15 more
    It has got better reviews more memory and it's touch screen etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

The talk time is max 300 miutes. No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Agreed, how would you make a 6hr phone call on one of those?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

coming from usa , so what about customs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I think they come from Hong Kong and will be marked as a gift. I wouldn't go near one of those clones by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

HavoK wrote: »

edit: And what the hells this nonsense about the iPhone not supporting MMS? Surely that could not be true...

Looking at reviews (example: http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/apple-iphone-8gb-at/4505-6452_7-32309245.html )

it seems that there is NO MMS support alright. You have to take your pic and attach it to an e-mail to send. Also, no 3G. Only certain songs purchased from itunes can be used as ringtones (Songs ripped from CD CANNOT be used)

Looks like the dog's bo**ocks....... SEEMS to be ACTUAL bo**ocks....... imo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

kearnsr wrote: »
    Have you read reviews of it? From what I've seen they are a load of crap.

Plus you'll have to factor in import duty

Import duty? Not likely

Zab wrote: »
    I think they come from Hong Kong and will be marked as a gift. I wouldn't go near one of those clones by the way.

Yes its all coming from hong kong, i had three packages arrive without any hassle

Just a FYI, the green lasers are fu(king class, i got the 30mw one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Saw one of these for sale yesterday in the Northside Market in Artane. Looks pretty impressive. They were selling it for €250!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Why on earth would anyone want to buy one of those...

What a heap of ****.

Get a decent Nokia for that price, even the genuine iPhones are pretty crap

• Advertisement

WellyJ wrote: »
    Why on earth would anyone want to buy one of those...

What a heap of ****.

Get a decent Nokia for that price, even the genuine iPhones are pretty crap

I agree totally, i only posted this for the people on boards who are sheep :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Saw one of these for sale yesterday in the Northside Market in Artane. Looks pretty impressive. They were selling it for €250!! :eek:

Buy a few and sell them for 150. Sell them along side the other one. The other seller may buy your stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

deal extreme mark stuff as GIFTs btw, i havent gotten caught.

rather get the real deal if u were to get 1 though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I read in an article in the guardian today that the iphone that will be released under the o2 network in the UK isn't MMS campatible and you cant send txts ti more than 1 recipient at a time?

This couldn't possibly be true?

chump wrote: »
    I read in an article in the guardian today that the iphone that will be released under the o2 network in the UK isn't MMS campatible and you cant send txts ti more than 1 recipient at a time?

iPhones defo don't have MMS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Fighting Irish>
    Did you have any trouble recieving the laser here? I'm about the order to 100mw one!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm on my first step to Bargain Alert Rehab, by not ordering one of these puppies. :D
    pablo21 wrote: »
    Fighting Irish>
    Did you have any trouble recieving the laser here? I'm about the order to 100mw one!
    What does one do with a laser pointer?!

Fighting Irish>

Nope, it took 2-3 weeks to arrive though

I ordered 3 other things as well before and they all arrived safely

Dades wrote: »
    I'm on my first step to Bargain Alert Rehab, by not ordering one of these puppies. :D

What does one do with a laser pointer?!

Nothing but you can seem the beam at night so if you and your friend have one then you got play star wars :eek:

• Advertisement

Nope, it took 2-3 weeks to arrive though

I ordered 3 other things as well before and they all arrived safely

My credit card is on its way out my wallet! I've no idea what to hell I'm going to use it for but the inner child in me is too loud!!! ;-)

My credit card is on its way out my wallet! I've no idea what to hell I'm going to use it for but the inner child in me is too loud!!! ;-)

:D Same here, i know i'll only use it for a few days but still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

chump wrote: »

It is certainly true of the iphone that is currently released in the states, so unless they change the firmware before it gets released here, it will be the case here as well.

Futher to those insane omissions, you can't forward a message either. Meaning that if you want to send the same message you have to physically write the whole message twice.

:D Same here, i know i'll only use it for a few days but still

Which shipping did you use? Whats the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Nothing but you can seem the beam at night so if you and your friend have one then you got play star wars :eek:

fighting Irish,
    Can your laser burn stuff if you point it close enough to something??!!!!
    Some of the reviews of the 100mW and 200mW say they Burst balloons and light matches!!!!

Sweet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

dont buy it...i know this is not the same thing completely unrelated to be honest but i bought a dodgy digi box for all the free tv stations and it was great for a bout 12 weeks..the bastard shut down the other night..just wont power on now..didnt even show any signs of a problem.simple fact i sthe electronics were ****e.. i'll never buy cheap knock off again..forget about the iphone..it'll cost ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pablot

howdy all
    I bought one of these phones about a month ago (am using it on meteor but tested it fine on vodafone and 02 (no 3g test)[ I did a good bit of research on it beforehand and wasnt altogether impressed with it but went ahead and bought it anyway. I posted a review link of it below.

http://cectp168.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=668

Ok… heres my take on the cect phone.

First, a small bit of background to show where I was coming from. I am an Irish user, Mid-20s who has used an n-gage for the last few years. I like the n-gage, particularly for two reasons 1. Nokia is really easy to use, chargers are everywhere 2. I love the symbian OS i.e. that you can choose from a wide variety of software available.

The phone took approx 5 days to arrive in Ireland. I can confirm that it works with both meteor and Vodafone, no confirmation on 02 yet. The phone arrives partially charged whereby you just hold the red hangup button for approx. 20 seconds to turn it on (be warned it can be loud depending on where you are). First impressions of the phone were very good, solid build etc. I won’t go into detail on that as I feel it has been covered in other posts.

The first thing I tried to do was place a call, that was no problem, you simply tap the phone icon at the bottom of the screen and type in your number (You can record phone calls using the In-call options menu). The hands free was clear enough too. I would argue that reception is not as good as with the ngage as where I would normally get a signal no problem with the ngage, I was having a problem with the p168. It also notes when you are “roaming”, i.e. where you are handed off to Vodafone or O2 by the appearance of a small icon at the top of the screen. I would argue also that since this device’s primary use is as a phone, they really should have made the phone icon at the bottom of the screen significantly bigger or at least put it in the corner. That was my second impression of the phone, i.e. not well thought through as I figured something like that would be obvious enough.

If you use the phonebook (or any other interface) requiring scrolling to find what you are looking for, be weary as the scroll bars can be very small if using your fingers. I realise that the stylus is available for such things but I feel you should be able to use one or the other at any give time and shouldn’t have to flick back and forth.

The second thing I tried to do was send a text message…. Using the touch screen to type a message is definitely different. The keyboard for example is QWERTY and the keys are tiny but I can see myself getting faster with practise. You have the option of writing on screen using hand writing recognition and that’s not bad but I’m just going to talk about the onscreen keyboard. One annoying thing is when you add numbers to a message ie. meet at 730 you have to go to a different screen. This in itself is fine as you would have to do that on any phone but to get back to the text screen you have to cycle through approx half dozen other keyboard layouts to get back to your original. Granted a lot of the keyboards are very similar in layout but the point here is consistency. The user should really be allowed to define one layout in the settings and go with that rather than have to jump through german, arabic, chinese. e tc.

The imageviewer built in is a nice feature allowing you to look at photos but that seems to be just about it. You cannot zoom in or turn the image to landscape, it only displays portrait. Also, there is no onscreen menu for moving through images (even if it was semi transparent it would be brilliant). You can however resize photos, add frames, save etc

There is a feature to record sound on the phone but I have not tested that yet.

The headphones are very bad so be prepared to use the loudspeakers if you want to listen to music.

On the upside, the phone can quickly navigate through menus (i realise this is subjective as i had come from a bloated ngage background , no noticeable delay. The screen is pretty amazing re quality. The dual sim is brilliant as it displays the sim card (1 OR 2) and the name of the carrier. The phone is very cool and is definitely a conversation starter. One caveat I will give to anyone reading this, is that I have the phone two days so I am still relatively new to it and am open to any corrections anyone might have. What I am attempting to do is 1. Inform people as best I can for what my hopes and concerns were (see background above) and 2. to encourage the designers/manufacturers of the phone to incorporate some of these features (where possible) into any future versions.

I believe by all means in borrowing the style of the iphone i.e. touchscreen etc as that is probably the direction that phones are heading in but trading on its name without offering comparable service and features is a different story. My ultimate advice (take it or leave it) regarding this phone is not to pay a bundle for it ie. Greater than 120-150 euros…you may be considered one of the early adaptors but if the phone is not for you then you just wasted a load of money but at least you have a PMP (portable media player) and an emergency phone if you need it.

That site has tons of other peoples reviews and ideas as well

On a side note, i have found that the reception on the phone is terrible... seriously bad.. i was in mayo and dublin 15 and couldnt get a signal in either. I bought some of those signal enhancement stickers (which seem to work well on my ngage) but not on this phone at all.

All in all, i would say buy it if you want A) a portable media player and B) backup phone. The headphones that come with the phone are really really bad (if you dont believe me check out what others were saying about it above)

ps the phone arrived marked as a gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Apparently many of those Chinese knock-off phones have very little in the way of Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) shielding -- i.e., it's fried nads and brains time ;-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭That Guy 901

How long does it take for something to be delivered on this site? Just ordered alot of small things! If its legit, im coming back often!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

slayerking wrote: »
    fighting Irish,
    Some of the reviews of the 100mW and 200mW say they Burst balloons and light matches!!!!

Sweet...

I've a 100mW green laser and it will burn thin dark plastic. My one will burn holes in black plastic bags without trouble but I haven't lit a match with it yet.Got fed up waiting for it to burst into flames. Safety matches me arse.:D
    Great for star pointing or just seeing the entire beam as far as the eye can see. Will keep you amused for a few days:D

Just beware you're buying a genuine rated laser. Alot of sellers will overpower the laser and hence shorten it life considerably. And DO NOT point these towards anyone. They are nothing like the red laser pointers.

• Advertisement

Which shipping did you use? Whats the difference?

use the free shipping, the other one is meant to be quicker but from some reviews on the site it doesn't look like its that much quicker

This post has been deleted.

Yes they accept paypal ;)

slayerking wrote: »
    fighting Irish,

Sweet...

Mine is 30mw and is supposed to burst balloons etc but it doesn't, search youtube for "dealextreme.com" plenty of videos

How long does it take for something to be delivered on this site? Just ordered alot of small things! If its legit, im coming back often!

depends, i ordered 4 things

2 came together 13 days later
    1 came 17 days later
    1 thing came 20 days later

Depending on stock i don't think they wait til all your items are available, they ship what they have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

pablot wrote: »
    The headphones that come with the phone are really really bad .

When you say they are really bad I take it that you are only talking about the phones supplied with the phone? Can they be replaced with normal 3.5mm headphones?

Thanks,

Advertisement