Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving somebody elses car to England for them

Options
  • 05-11-2007 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've been asked to drive a car from Dublin to London. I only have a commercial policy with my own van so should I see any complications with doing this and will I need any documentation? I've a full license by the way :)

Any feedback appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Does your commercial policy cover you for driving other vehicles? If it does, will it cover you driving them outside the state? I think its time to ring your insurance company...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Get the owner to cover you on their insurance Cormie.

I'd also suggest you get a letter from the owner telling "To whom it may concern" why you are driving their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies. This is going to be happening soon so I rang my ins company just there and they said they can't do a temp transfer to his vehicle because it's already insured (with his policy):confused:

Before I signed up with my policy, I asked about driving a friends non-commercial (I have a commercial policy) car and they said I'd just have to ring up and do a temp-transfer. If I wanted to drive another commercial vehicle however, I wouldn't need to ring up at all, that I'm insured to drive any commercial vehicle.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Surely in most temporary transfer case (besides buying a new car) the car would already be insured by somebody? So is a temporary transfer just for buying new cars or what because there doesn't seem to be an option for driving a friends car for him whether it be to the UK or home from a night out, unless it's not insured or I go on his policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Its very easy for the owner to put you down as a named driver on their policy, did it myself for my brother to drive my car in France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. This is going to be happening soon so I rang my ins company just there and they said they can't do a temp transfer to his vehicle because it's already insured (with his policy):confused:

Before I signed up with my policy, I asked about driving a friends non-commercial (I have a commercial policy) car and they said I'd just have to ring up and do a temp-transfer. If I wanted to drive another commercial vehicle however, I wouldn't need to ring up at all, that I'm insured to drive any commercial vehicle.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Surely in most temporary transfer case (besides buying a new car) the car would already be insured by somebody? So is a temporary transfer just for buying new cars or what because there doesn't seem to be an option for driving a friends car for him whether it be to the UK or home from a night out, unless it's not insured or I go on his policy.

Going on his would be best, as your only covered TPF&T on his car if your full comp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Unfortunately his ins company are taking ages to send out the documentation that needs to be filled in, a flight I was going to get back has gone from £5 to £37 and I was hoping to fit in a few other things while I was there, so the dates are pretty important, but if the documentation isn't sent, I wont be able to get insured on time. The ins. company he uses wont send a pdf even:mad:

That's why I was seeing if mine would just cover me on his car. Seems I'm being a told a different story now then when I asked about it before getting the policy out. Sure I was even on last week about driving my friends Celica, they never mentioned it then, but refused me because "it's a sports car" and they don't insure them, so annoying!

Advertisement