Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House ReWiring

Options
  • 05-11-2007 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I got the house rewired on back in January. The electricians were supposedly reputable. I have had a number of issues since,

1) a plumbing bill ontop of what was already agreed in the quote

2) A thermostat too close to the radiator so that it keeps switching the heating off.

3) two months after the rewiring I could hear a beep every so often in my hallway. Checked everything all the electricals, the new smoke alarms etc, couldn't find it. Followed the beep and it turned out that the old smoke alarm, along with old wiring, plug sockets, light switches etc were all thrown in the floor boards, and left there.

4) This morning I was pulling up the landing carpets and one of the boards came away. Same deal light fixtures, streams of old wires etc, a general ball of electrical crap.

We paid 10,800 to have the whole hour rewired. I think we were ripped off so I am going to get an independent electrician to review it.

Can anyone offer me any other advice with these matters?

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭secman

Ring the electrician and let him know your concerns, and also advise him that you will be contacting his trade assoc either RECI or ESCA ? ( not too sure on 2nd one), But he HAS to be registered with one of them.

secman

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Dumping the old accessories under the floor boards is and old trick, however the law now states that all packaging and replaced electrical goods have to be disposed of correctly by the supplier/installer, this is your electricians responsibility, the plumbing bill on top of the electrical bill is a bit much (unless he stated that his costs excluded these works, but even if this was the case you should have been allowed to have some say in who was used etc.)

as secman said, check the certificate he gave you and see who his his trade assoc is and you could give them a call, however I would call him first and give him the opportunity to fix it (do this in writing) your case is always stronger when someone refuses to address something they have been given the opportunity to return to as it is seen as the fair thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Cheers, thanks for that, thats another thing btw, never even gave us the cert we were promised.
    Stoner wrote: »
    Dumping the old accessories under the floor boards is and old trick, however the law now states that all packaging and replaced electrical goods have to be disposed of correctly by the supplier/installer, this is your electricians responsibility, the plumbing bill on top of the electrical bill is a bit much (unless he stated that his costs excluded these works, but even if this was the case you should have been allowed to have some say in who was used etc.)

as secman said, check the certificate he gave you and see who his his trade assoc is and you could give them a call, however I would call him first and give him the opportunity to fix it (do this in writing) your case is always stronger when someone refuses to address something they have been given the opportunity to return to as it is seen as the fair thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

TheGooner wrote: »
    never even gave us the cert we were promised.

Hmmm..... You're going to need this cert as proof the house was rewired to spec should you ever decide to sell up.

I'd a rewire done 2 years ago and had the cert within days of the job being finished. It cost me just over five grand for a 4 bed semi.

Advertisement