Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Maxol E5 - deffo getting better economy !

Options
  • 05-11-2007 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭

I've been using Maxol's E5 for a couple of weeks now and after my 3rd full tank yesterday I can easily say the car is running just as well as using anything else and I'm getting better MPG out of it.

I would struggle to get 400 kms out of a tank in my car and before I filled up yesterday I had driven 460 kms and I pretty much do the same type of driving every week, maybe a stretch on the M50 once or twice but mainly city centre driving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Nice one Mark! Given the other 25 euro thread I have one at the moment.
    It might be 'cos your car is getting more ignition advance at cruising speed with the higher octance.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What car is it? I have the impression that my fuel economy may have dropped slightly, but it's a bit too early to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

BMW 335i.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

You have only recently bought your 335i so it may be that you are just adapting to driving it. I know when I first got my new car I was struggling to get 40mpg, now I can top 50mpg every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

MarkN wrote: »
    BMW 335i.
    Is that set up for 98?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

I have to agree, my car is showing better economy with E5.

Yesterday I had a long run, Slane to Kilkenny and back, averaged 22.7

I would normally have been getting 20.something

Not much but makes a difference :)

Anan1 wrote: »
    Is that set up for 98?

It's meant to be run on 98 according to BMW.

Fletch - you could be right but 60 kms is the difference is nearly 2 days extra fuel for me (:D) depending on what I am doing so I'm not sure if it could be my foot alone causing the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm getting better fuel economy and more power from it. Mine's set up for jap fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Be it E5 or E85 - replace any petrol with ethanol and you'll get a higher octane rating. So more power. Ethanol has a lower energy rating than petrol per litre however, so I would have expected worse fuel consumption

Unless somehow driver behaviour changed after filling up with the new fuel...

It doesn't make sense, but other people I know with bigger, faster cars than mine have said the same.

• Advertisement

Well it is interesting to hear about peoples' experiences using mixed petrol / ethanol

Keep it coming, folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Hmm, must try this stuff out next time I fill up, which should be tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I have filled up with E5 three times and my fuel economy has dropped. There was a positive change performance wise, but I am not getting between 10 and 15% less on fuel economy. Before E5, I only used V Power.

My car is supposed to use 98 RON fuel.

The performance improvements mean I am going to keep using it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Well - I can't really comment on fuel consumption yet;

But; I got back from a long drive from the north to dublin, 4 hours, and stopped into the local maxol as I was now driving on fumes, filled her up and as I pulled away from the station; I remember thinking to myself that car seemed to be a bit nippier than usual. Wasnt till later that I remember about the E5.

I drive a bmw 528; usually get an mpg of around 27 after driving around the city for a week after a long trip. Driving long distance my mpg is ually 35, and if I stick around the city for a week or two my mpg drops to 24.5; so I'll report back if I notice any increase/decrease in mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What is the difference is price per litre between E5 and regular 95RON unleaded?

Can it be used on a regular car or does the car have to be set up for 98RON in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Maxol are replacing their unleaded with E5 so afaik it costs the same and will work fine in a car mapped for 95 RON.
    Maxol wrote:
    E5, which contains 5% bioethanol, can be used by drivers of standard petrol powered vehicles without modifications being required to engines while also protecting the manufacturer’s warranty. Maxol E5 Petrol fully meets the EU specification EN 228 for Unleaded in accordance with the terms of EU Fuel Directive EC 98/70 revised to provide for biofuel content in Unleaded Petrol. Maxol E5 will thus have the same fuel quality and integrity as standard unleaded petrol.

Bazz any unleaded car can use it and it's the same price as normal unleaded.

Cool thanks guys, though I switched to diesel myself recently.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I switched to diesel myself recently.

What you got? Shame on you for not letting us be part of your buying process :)

Is it one of them D-D-4-4-D-Ds?

think he got one of them Citroen Focus's

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    What you got? Shame on you for not letting us be part of your buying process :)

Is it one of them D-D-4-4-D-Ds?

Nope, decided I wanted something else this time and it was a no brainer for me. 2005 Focus Ghia TDCi.

Ticks all the boxes and is nicely speced for a car of that size. 1.6 PSA unit is quite nippy too and already seeing the savings at the pump. Whatever about the French having issues building cars they do make some good diesel engines. Fingers crossed anyway.

Downside is metalic black is a bitch to keep clean this time of year.

Still have the old Avensis parket at home. Not really worth much as a trade-in with 168,000 miles on the clock though it is immaculate and running perfect. Besides I got the Focus at a good price and the old man is taking it off me for a modest fee once he flogs his motor. He only uses the car for around town so it suits him down to the ground.

My new baby:

Edit: Appologies for going OT.

Advertisement