Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable Water Heater

Options
  • 05-11-2007 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

would anyone be able to tell me where I might get one of those portable plug in elements for boiling cups of water in Dublin?

Thanks very much

Claire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Is it a water boiler you are looking for??
    http://www.water2buy.ie/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=17

From your description it sounds like you want something for boliing water in a cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Clairecluck

Yeah, Its just like a small exposed element that you put into the cup and it boils the water, perfect for on the go. I've seen them for sale on American sites but I can't seem to source one over here- any ideas?

Thanks,

Claire

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Are they 220Volt? I can't imagine they'd be a very safe appliance.

Is it for office use or are you going to leave it in the car Claire?

well no, I just want it for going on holidays, less bulky than a travel kettle!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

OK. This is what I think you're looking for:

yhst-97662227018787_1973_516875

From here

The only type I can find are 110v, this would render it useless in Europe unless you have a bulky transformer too. Remember too that these are 'heaters', if you like your tea/coffee hot then they're probably not for you.

If it was me I'd stick with the 1 cup kettle. 12Volt for using from your car, 220V for European applications, and 110V for US holidays.

Here's
    a range of heaters and kettles. Check out your local camping shop for some options too. Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement

great, thanks a million, I'll have a browse. I just thought the element would be lighter to carry but I suppose the travel kettles are compact enough.

Thanks a million for your help!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 MarcoB

I have seen them in tescos before, not recently, and places like roches stores, and some "€2 shops".

If you have a 1kW 110V element and plug it into 220V, the it will output 4kW (it is not simply double, it is the differnce in squares of the voltages). So the 1kW element running at 4kW will burn out really quickly and the wires risk overheating due to higher current.

Conversely if you have a 1kW 220V element and plug it in at 110V it will output 0.25kW, and will run fine, it will simply take longer to boil.

So if you get a 220V element you can still use it in the US, it just takes ~4times as long to boil your same cup of water.

Advertisement