Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public meeting on threat to Terryland Forest Park

Options
  • 05-11-2007 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭

Just got this via email. If anyone is interested....
    PUBLIC MEETING: Wednesday (Nov 7) at 8.30pm in the Menlo Park Hotel

Dear All,

I would strongly urge everybody who can to attend the following meeting organised by Brendan Smith of the Terryland Forest Park steering committee (See below).

Former Mayor Sheila Jordan fought tooth and nail to keep this land intact for a park. She unfortunately died last year.

We are now facing a request for a chunk of the park to be lost, not to alleviate transport but to facilitate the expansion of Galway Shopping Centre.

In my view, it is important for the people of Galway to stand up and be counted on this issue.

Regards,

Cllr Niall O Brolchain

Phone 091-596680

Mobile 087-9524776

Email niallob@esatclear.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Isn't this about a relatively small amount of ground to build a short stretch of 2 lane roadway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I pass that by alot and i NEVER see anybody in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

From what I've seen of it, which is admittedly not much, it seems like a Coillte plantation of spruce half way up the mountain - uniformly green and disgusting. It's not an interesting place.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

I went for a walk there a couple of weeks ago after visiting the Lithuanian expo in the Black Box. It was a Saturday afternoon and the only people there seemed to be teenage drinkers, one aggressive harridan of whom asked me for a cigarette and called me a **** when I told her I didn't smoke. I felt quite intimidated. There were cans and bottles all over the place. The contrast with the national pride of the cheerful Lithuanians I had just encountered was depressing.

Of course this green space should be protected from the motoring lobby, but it needs to be protected from anti-social litter louts too. I was there when they opened it, and the state it's in now is a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

padraig71 wrote: »
    Of course this green space should be protected from the motoring lobby, but it needs to be protected from anti-social litter louts too. I was there when they opened it, and the state it's in now is a shame.
    I say we reintroduce wolves to the wilderness of Terryland Forest Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

I have see pheasants and foxes round there and I would like to see it preserved,

And more to the point when will people learn that if our plan is to cut down on co2 emmisions,
    were going to need to have less cars on the road,
    and building more roads for them to drive on will only encourage people to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheOlster

just saw the post there,so how did that meeting go?any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Is this the bit of wasteland between the quincenteniary bridge and the back of Currys, along the dyke road?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

TheOlster wrote: »
    just saw the post there,so how did that meeting go?any updates?

Wasn't at it myself so don't know.
    SyxPak wrote: »
    Is this the bit of wasteland between the quincenteniary bridge and the back of Currys, along the dyke road?

Its not wasteland, its a mix of woodland (young planted trees) and wetland. Its also supposed to be a park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

It's a pretty pathetic attempt at a park. I always though that it was just thrown in after they built the bridge to pretend they were environmentally friendly and that piece of land had the worst developmental potential

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

kevmy wrote: »
    It's a pretty pathetic attempt at a park. I always though that it was just thrown in after they built the bridge to pretend they were environmentally friendly and that piece of land had the worst developmental potential

Agreed, its a bit of a miserable (& Cheap) attempt at a forrest park, I especially think that its just attracting scumbags who go bushing and I have yet to see any families use it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

That's it. Not the most inviting place.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I agree it's not exactly a nice welcoming forst park that i'd go for a relaxing walk through, but i'd like to see it stay there. In a few year's those tree's will grow, and it will be nice to see a little bit of green considering there's plenty of buildings behind it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

The fact that theres a green space is a nice thing in the city but it wasnt landscaped nicely. It wouldnt entice me to go walking in it. Come to think of it Galway doesnt really have many nice parks. There was a nice one in Salthill where they put the time capsule in 1984 - is that still there ?
    A mini forest isnt the best idea in a built up area as its not the safest to go walking in -a park with a few nice trees and greenery would have been nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

cazzy wrote: »
    The fact that theres a green space is a nice thing in the city but it wasnt landscaped nicely. It wouldnt entice me to go walking in it. Come to think of it Galway doesnt really have many nice parks. There was a nice one in Salthill where they put the time capsule in 1984 - is that still there ?
    A mini forest isnt the best idea in a built up area as its not the safest to go walking in -a park with a few nice trees and greenery would have been nicer.

Can't say I like the 'Oul folks park' either, maybe it's cause ive gotten bigger but it's not as nice as it used to be. Barna woods is still decent.

Personally if I want a 'nice' walk in the city I go for a walk by the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Never fancied the area much tbh. If 'twere up to me, I'd let it go ahead.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Never fancied the area much tbh. If 'twere up to me, I'd let it go ahead.

i agree. in particular, the section at the side/back of dunnes terryland (i think its still part of thr park?) is dangerous at night-theres always people lurking around drinking there. also, no-one trims back the braches, so you have to duck and dodge the wole way through if you intend on walking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

How old are the trees?
    If a case is to be made for retaining it (which I'm in favour of), it should be accompanied by a commitment to maintaining it. Raised wooden decking over certain wet areas, the ditch/stream etc. linking on to dyke road, make it more accessible on foot.
    And plant more trees, with a few hills and contours where possible.
    It's quite low considering the water table and flooding possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

How old are the trees?
    If a case is to be made for retaining it (which I'm in favour of), it should be accompanied by a commitment to maintaining it. Raised wooden decking over certain wet areas, the ditch/stream etc. linking on to dyke road, make it more accessible on foot.
    And plant more trees, with a few hills and contours where possible.
    It's quite low considering the water table and flooding possibilities.

Yes, let's landscape all our green areas so they look like a stereotypical park. Let's remove any wetland habitat for animals. Let's install wooden decking and make it look like a Taylor's Hill back garden. Let's plant more trees, even though the habitat isn't suitable for any more. :rolleyes:

The whole point of the park is to protect a natural habitat in the city, provide a wildlife corridor for animals through a built up area, and make this accessible to people.

To quote a favourite poem:

What would the world be, once bereft
    Of wet and of wildness, let them be left
    O Let them be left, wildness and wet
    Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

What would the world be, once bereft
    Of wet and of wildness, let them be left
    O Let them be left, wildness and wet
    Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet
    Can you get largish freshwater octopuses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I say we reintroduce wolves to the wilderness of Terryland Forest Park.

Second!

Advertisement