Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCP/IP not enabled

Options
  • 05-11-2007 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hey guys, I recently managed to get my computer formatted but now when i go to use the internet (irish broadband so just plug in and go) its detecting that the 1934 connection is enabled but the internet wont work, no pages loading no msn etc. I went to right click the connection and repair to see whats wrong and it pops up saying "TCP/IP is not enabled" does anyone know how to enable this? I've tried installing different drivers from the cd to see if something is missing but nothing is working. Please if anyone can help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

It should be installed by default, go to the properties of your network connection and if you don't see it listed hit the install button. Choose protocol then tcp/ip and ok. You may need your windows cd in the drive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

dirtydress wrote: »
    Hey guys, I recently managed to get my computer formatted but now when i go to use the internet (irish broadband so just plug in and go) its detecting that the 1934 connection is enabled but the internet wont work, no pages loading no msn etc. I went to right click the connection and repair to see whats wrong and it pops up saying "TCP/IP is not enabled" does anyone know how to enable this? I've tried installing different drivers from the cd to see if something is missing but nothing is working. Please if anyone can help!!

Do you actually have a firewire device connected to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Disable the 1394 (AKA Fireware or iLink) Networking. Camcorders and iPods via Firewire don't use it.
    Look for a Local Area Connection

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Make sure that when you right-click local area connection and select properties that 'Internet Protocol TCP/IP' is ticked and installed, otherwise tick it and it'll install from your Windows XP CD. Next thing to do then would be to re-enter your static IP address that was supplied to you from IBB.

As far as I'm aware IBB use static IP addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

Ive tried installing it like that but it hasnt worked so will having the windows cd in correct that?

I wasnt given a static IP address from IBB? I thought it was like clearwire where you just plug in and tick "automatically detect settings" and you're off?

Theres no local area connection icon there, its just the 1394 and wireless (which i dont use)...does it sound like getting this TCP/IP thing to work will fix this? If not im literally at my wits end because i havent had my laptop working for months...is there anywhere you know that will fix these problems for me but for a *reasonable* cost?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Sounds like your network card mightn't have been re-setup correctly (might be a driver problem) - look for the drivers for your network card on a friend's computer or whatever, and see if you can reinstall them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Ive tried installing it like that but it hasnt worked so will having the windows cd in correct that?

I wasnt given a static IP address from IBB? I thought it was like clearwire where you just plug in and tick "automatically detect settings" and you're off?

Theres no local area connection icon there, its just the 1394 and wireless (which i dont use)...does it sound like getting this TCP/IP thing to work will fix this? If not im literally at my wits end because i havent had my laptop working for months...is there anywhere you know that will fix these problems for me but for a *reasonable* cost?

Have you got the drivers for your network card installed? Check Device Manager to ensure u have.. If you do, there should be a Local Area Connection under Network connections. If not, something is up with your network card..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Nothing will work till the "Local area connection" icon appears. Right click on My Computer, Properties and find Device Manager.

Ahh sorry my bad, you're probably using the Ripwave, in which case it's DHCP.

*edit*

Shouldn't this be moved to the Windows forum as it's not a problem with their net connection itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

^ I was thinking that, I originally posted in the Laptop forum!

I'll check out the device manager when I get home and see what's up there.Thanks for the help everyone, any more ideas or how-to's...keep them comin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭zorch

If it's a Laptop - it's possible that power save is shutting down the Local Ethernet. When this happens the device dissaperas out of Device Manager - so does the Icon in Networking. Try re-booting attached to mains power. You can disable the Ethernet power saving feature - or ask it to prompt you.

It powers down Ethernet if you boot from Battery and it does not detect anything on the local ethernet port - common feature in some DELL's

zorch wrote: »
    If it's a Laptop - it's possible that power save is shutting down the Local Ethernet. When this happens the device dissaperas out of Device Manager - so does the Icon in Networking. Try re-booting attached to mains power. You can disable the Ethernet power saving feature - or ask it to prompt you.

It powers down Ethernet if you boot from Battery and it does not detect anything on the local ethernet port - common feature in some DELL's

They're called Hell machines for a reason!

Advertisement