Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Eircom Broadband with Phone Watch

Options
  • 05-11-2007 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I've to install Eircom Broadband with Phone Watch. Is there anything special I need to know. I'm doing this for my mate and when he ordered it they asked do you want an engineer out as you have Phonewatch. Of course he told them that he has a friend to do it (me)
    I'm well able to put in new phone points but thats about the limit of my skills (phone skills anyway).

Can anyone please advise me of what maybe requered?

Thanks
    Admiral

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

You should have asked for an engineer. As far as I'm aware some special filter from the phone watch device has to be installed on the line otherwise it'll constantly interfere with the DSL on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Admiral

Thanks.
    Would anyone else have some further info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

As far as I'm aware you just need to make sure that the connection going to the Phonewatch is filtered. When you get your DSL self install pack you will get a few microfilters.

One will have two outputs, one to a phone and one to the modem.
    the others will just have one connection to allow you to put them inline with a phone.

The best thing to do is place the microfilter with the 2 outputs as close to where your phone line enters the house as possible. Then run all the phone points in the house (including the phonewatch) from the phone output on the filter and have the point that the DSL modem is connected to running on its own from the other output on the filter. Because you have filtered the line at the source you will not need a microfilter at every phone point so there's no need for the other microfilters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

This comes up a lot. This thread should be of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Admiral

Thanks guys
    Think this is all above me head. Eircom Engineer to the rescue

• Advertisement
Advertisement