Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There Are Some Decent Folks Left it Seems!

• 05-11-2007 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭

The girlfriend and I were in Cineworld last weekend. When we got back to the apartment herself realised that she had left her phone in the cinema. I went back to the cinema and spoke to the manager. They had a look in the area we had been in, but there was no sign of it.
    I left it a few hours and then I rang the phone, it was ringing but no-one was answering. I sent a text message to the phone to tell whoever found it that I would reward them with some money and a 3G Nokia that I don't use (her phone was a K750i). I got a call that night (Saturday) with a Dublin accent saying that he had found the phone. He asked where I was and I mentioned the city centre, I asked where he was and he replied 'That doesn't matter'. Fair enough I thought. I mentioned that I could meet him anywhere in the city centre for the phone and mentioned the reward to him. He said he wasn't interested in a reward and told me that he would phone me on Sunday to meet up and give me back the phone.

T'was all a bit strange and I had visions of him wanting to meet me down dark sidestreets or some flats etc. Well Sunday came and there was no phone call from him so I sent him a text late afternoon and mentioned that if he was concerned about meeting up he could drop it back to the cinema or a garda station. Nothing was heard so I went to Meteor and had the sim blocked and got a new sim card for the girlfriend and put it into a spare phone.

I was at work last Monday when I got a call from a girl who said she was the daughter of the man who found the phone. She said she didn't live with him and that he was out in Finglas. She was wondering could I make it to Finglas to get the phone - - ALARM BELLS - ALARM BELLS - - I told her that I am never out that way and that I couldn't get the time off of work to go there. She mulled it over and said that she was in court all day on Tuesday but that she'd try and get the phone from him and meet me in town! I said thanks very much and would be waiting for her phonecall.

At this stage I gave up on getting the phone back. He didn't want to tell me where he was, they wanted me to come out to Finglas to get the phone and then the daughter told me she was in court all day on Tuesday.
    So I was surprised when I got a call from the guy on Saturday to tell me that he had the phone with him and that he would be at the GPO in 5-10 minutes. I legged it out of the apartment, down Capel Street, up Henry Street and sure enough there he was. He apologised several times for the delay in getting it back to me and handed it over.

It was a strange affair and it seemed a little dodgy at times, but I was pleasantly surprised in the end.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Fairly strange alright... happy ending at least.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I've given back a few phones I found in the cinema, usually the person comes back to the cinema during the film I am watching and I can get it to them. Should just hand it in to staff if they don't make it back for when you are leaving.
    Nice of the guy to get it back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Great to hear eo980! I had the same situation in NYC a year ago, left my phone, which wasn't cheap, in a Taxi on 5th Avenue. The guy managed to go through my recent calls 4 hours later, contact the girl I was staying with, and drove 2 hours from Queens through Manhattan Traffic to get it back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

ned78 wrote: »
    Great to hear eo980! I had the same situation in NYC a year ago, left my phone, which wasn't cheap, in a Taxi on 5th Avenue. The guy managed to go through my recent calls 4 hours later, contact the girl I was staying with, and drove 2 hours from Queens through Manhattan Traffic to get it back to me.

Wow - That's pretty exceptional, driving 2 hours through NY to give it back to you. Fair play to him.
    Heh, her phone wasn't expensive but it had all of her contacts on it. Must buy a sim card copier now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

we had one recently were outside the shop i work in somebody dropped a 20 euro note none of us noticed, then two 14-15year olds opened the door and handed it into us and said sombody dropped it.. is it wrong to say i would of just kept it??? thought it was really nice out of them tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

ned78 wrote: »

Can I ask, did you give him a few bob for his troubles?

I would always do my best to get property belonging to someone back to them asap - and I wouldn't take moneh in return, as it was an act of kindness IMO but even if someone made a gesture i.e. here get yourself a pint etc, it'd be nice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

emo!! wrote: »
    we had one recently were outside the shop i work in somebody dropped a 20 euro note none of us noticed, then two 14-15year olds opened the door and handed it into us and said sombody dropped it.. is it wrong to say i would of just kept it??? thought it was really nice out of them tho!

So what did you do with it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

A couple of years back I was taking a tour of the Nou Camp in Barcelona,having a great time and all that, even bought a replica Ronaldinho shirt,only delighted with myself. A couple of hours later I realised I had lost my precious 3310,and the last ime I remember having it was somewhere in the Nou Camp.

My mom rang the Nou Camp,and in pidgin Catalan tried to explain that I had lost my phone somewhere in stadium and wondered if they had found it. It is a massive place,and to say I lost all hope would be an understatement. They said they had seen nothing,took our number, "just in case" and I assumed that would be the end of it.

2 days later,got a call from the staff at the Nou Camp,saying that they had found a phone. Went out and true enough,there was my 3310 .It had been found in the presidents chair...I like to imagine Joan Laporta stumbling upon it,and reading my pubescent texts before handing it onto the cleaning staff.

Fair play to the lads for looking for it though..

Actually,I'm in a similar situation at the moment..at 6 yesterday morning, was getting a taxi home from my Debs,as I got out,my camera had fallen out of my pocket..I only realised a few minutes later,so I called my friend who was in the taxi after me,asking him had he found it...He said he had,but had made the error of telling the taxi driver,and was unable to turn it on to find the pictures that would prove it was mine. (My friend's silly)

Anyway,the taxi driver said to him,I can't let you take that,I have to take it and drop it in somewhere....\there is a lost property depot,which i'm gonn call today...by god I hope that taxi driver was true to his word..o many memories! And videos of my teachers dancing...you reckon I have a shot of getting it back?

So what did you do with it ?

I know this is terrible we split it hahaha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

I know this is terrible we split it hahaha!

Thats pretty low. Fair enough if you found it I could understand you keeping it but someone else found it and handed it in, and you decide you deserve it! If thats what you were going to do with it then you should have left it with the young lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

bman wrote: »
    Thats pretty low. Fair enough if you found it I could understand you keeping it but someone else found it and handed it in, and you decide you deserve it! If thats what you were going to do with it then you should have left it with the young lads.

its only terrible if someone has returned to shop looking for the lost money
    otherwise its surely one of the benefits of working in a shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Some shops have policies, in that they hand the money over to the finder after about 2-3 months if the person who lost it hasn't claimed it.

I've found money in shops a twice, and I handed it in to the staff. And 2 months, later, they rang me up and gave it to me as no-one claimed it.

Rob_l wrote: »
    its only terrible if someone has returned to shop looking for the lost money
    otherwise its surely one of the benefits of working in a shop

i agree with you rob!! obv i would of giving it back it somebody came looking for it but they didnt so we kept it. Face it the two 15years old went home with a clear mind and slept well, i went home with money in my pocket and slept sound, so all is good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

I once robbed someones pension but I gave half to my drug dealer and he said he was giving it to charity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

I once robbed someones pension but I gave half to my drug dealer and he said he was giving it to charity

Well thats not too bad. The OAP probably didn't need the money anyway. They'd only end up buying those manky bulls eye sweets or something like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

like urself i founda phone and gave it back

cept...........

i used the remaining credit on it and took loads of pics of my ass

but the point is i gave back the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

a few weeks ago a delivery guy dropped €40 in the ilac center, so i picked it up and gave it back. actually had to run over to him. he gave me an incredibly suspicious look, as if i had robbed €100 and given him back €40 to clear my conscience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

A few weeks ago, after attending a concert which cannot be named on this board, I left a digital camera in a taxi. My father in law gave it to me. Wife doesn't know yet. Finally got through to the carriage office the other day, but noone has handed it in.

Gutted, I am.

I was mad as hell, cos it was only for a short trip, I wanted to walk the 5-7 mins, the person I was with insisted on taking the taxi. ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I don't understand why some people bring things they find home with them when really the person will go back to where they found it. I mean yay they're giving it back but it's a bit weird.

I lost my wallet in topshop in the jervis, realised it was gone 5 minutes later and someone had found it and brought it home, then looked for my surname in the phonebook (I'm not listed) and called everyone under that surname, eventually found my uncle who gave her my number and then i tried to meet her.

Anyway I did get it back but it was wildly complicated. I could have had it back in 5 minutes like. Maybe she wanted a reward or something, I dunno.

• Advertisement

Well thats not too bad. The OAP probably didn't need the money anyway. They'd only end up buying those manky bulls eye sweets or something like that!

hahahahaha

I think your right
    everyone knows old people have too much money
    and its mine they should die younger so there is money left for my state pension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

eo980 wrote: »
    Wow - That's pretty exceptional, driving 2 hours through NY to give it back to you. Fair play to him.
    Heh, her phone wasn't expensive but it had all of her contacts on it. Must buy a sim card copier now!
    USB sim copier thing: http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/test_new/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=8997
    tampopo wrote: »
    A few weeks ago, after attending a concert which cannot be named on this board, I left a digital camera in a taxi. My father in law gave it to me. Wife doesn't know yet. Finally got through to the carriage office the other day, but noone has handed it in.
    Goto the taxi office (if you remember which taxi you got), and ask.

I think your right
    everyone knows old people have too much money
    and its mine they should die younger so there is money left for my state pension

haha if that was the case and it happended you'd die younger to and then you wouldnt need a state pension :D i think i think to much!

haha if that was the case and it happended you'd die younger to and then you wouldnt need a state pension :D i think i think to much!

dont you start answering me with facts
    its facts that got us all in trouble in the first place.

dont you start answering me with facts
    its facts that got us all in trouble in the first place.

pah!! thats a fact you making saying that im making facts FACT!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

A few years ago I was living in a block flats ,Went down to check the post one morning , There was six to seven letters (obvious birthday cards) for a girl not living in the building, Would not have been safe to leave them there so I brought them up to my flat on inspection I notice a re turn address on one . After a bit of detective work ie phonebook. I rang the return address to find out it was the girls 21st that day. I asked about address to find out it was a case of upper and lower ***** rd thing. Anyway found the house and the Girl . I was not surprised to find out that there was cash in the cards and her been a poor student was delighted.

A couple of days later when to local about five doors away from my flat. to find five pints pay for .....NICE :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kellybutler

i found a number of phones some in bits but some very expensive ones , i have always rang last dials and returned the phones, anyone hate that horrible feeling when you are out with friends and loose your phone just ruins the whole night especially if its a new phone, id never keep the phone because one day it will happen to you and you will be so so sad if you never get the phone back.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You just bumped a thread from 2007. Another from 2003.
    Please take note of the dates of threads you're replying to before replying to them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement