Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pork Chop Help

Options
  • 05-11-2007 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

I have some nice tender pork chops in the fridge. I fancy having them tonight with a baked potato and some beans, sounds yummy and comforting to me.

My husband however isn't into plain food - so any ideas on how to liven this up? (I have a full fridge and a cupboard full of spices.)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

This is my favourite pork chop recipe and I never get to use it any more as himself hates the taste of curry.

Anyway you need,
    1 small onion
    pork chops
    1 large cooking apple or 2 small apples
    curry powder

Brown the pork chops in a pan, then leave to one side in a casserole dish.

Next brown the onion and the apple (both chopped) in the juices left behind by the chops. When brown, add water and stock cube (I think beef or chicken works best, I do have pork stock cubes but I can only get them in Denmark which is a bit annoying).

Add curry powder to taste and simmer until it thickens a bit. Pour over the pork chops in the casserole and put in a hot oven for about 20 mins with lid on (or covered in tin foil)

Absolutely gorgeous.

Obviously you can add more or less onion and apple as your tastes dictate.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

There's a really nice recipe in Jamie Oliver's Cook, you fry the pork chops for a few mins to brown them, then fry apple slices in the pan. You then place chops on baking tray, add sliced apples some sage leaves and a lump of blue cheese and bake for ten mins. It's seriously delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I know this is not really a recipe - but we BBQ our pork chops - tastes REALLY good!
    Handier than cleaning out the grill afterwards too :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Marinade for pork chops;

1 tablespoon each of soy sauce, oil and honey.
    1 heaped teaspoon of wholegrain mustard.
    1 crushed clove of garlic
    Some chilli powder or chopped chilli if you like

Mix it all together and marinate chops, then bake them at 180 degrees/gas mark 5 for 25-30 minutes. (Put them on parchment because they'll ruin your roasting tin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Thanks lads, appreciate the ideas. Any more ideas please keep 'em coming, I won't be leaving work for another few hours. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you like mustard, then fry the chops as normal and have the grill pre-heating.

Grate some cheddar cheese and mix in a teaspoon (or as much as you like) of English mustard (it has a nice kick). Spread this mix on top of the cooked chops and pop under the grill until bubbly and browned.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Cover pork chops in cling film & flatten with a rolling pin to approx 1cm.
    Grill chops well – around 8 to 12 mins depending on size.
    When the chops are ready, cover & put in a warmed oven until ready to serve.
    In a hot pan heat 1 tbsp of olive oil & a knob of butter.
    Fry a thinly sliced medium onion on a high heat until the onion turns colour.
    Crumble in a beef stock cube & stir through the onion.
    Top up with boiling water until the onion is almost covered.
    Allow the gravy to boil away & reduce down by a half.
    To serve liberally spread Dijon mustard on each chop, top with the onion gravy so each chop is covered – heap mashed potatoes on the side.

Serve with a bottle of pils or weissbeir.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

My husband however isn't into plain food - so any ideas on how to liven this up? (I have a full fridge and a cupboard full of spices.)

he is must be spoilt by you...get him to cook ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Too late for last nights dinner - but a grilled pork chop with bashed fennel seeds, a little garlic, salt & pepper is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

What did you do with them in the end?

Here's something incredibly easy but very tasty:

Super-simple marinade of lemon juice and olive oil. Lots of black pepper and some garlic. Bake in the oven with the liquid for 20-25 min depending on thickness. Marinade time can be minimal.

Baking pork chops is great because they stay moist and tender, but still go brown if baked at a high temp. Grilling or frying tends to make them dry and solid. The amount of lemon juice and olive oil will vary depending on how big or how many chops you're doing. About a dessert spoon of each for 2 medium chops. Less oil if there is a fair bit of fat on the chops which will melt when cooking.

We also do the same with chicken breasts - use a bit more oil and score the chicken to help absorb the flavours!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I ate mine just rubbed with some sea salt and cracked black pepper and fried in its own fat, but for my husband I took Dudara's suggestion with the mustard and cheese, as we didn't want any oriental flavours with a baked potato and beans...:)

May give the other ideas a try to have maybe with rice in the future. Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

or my husband I took Dudara's suggestion with the mustard and cheese,

Go me!!
    May give the other ideas a try to have maybe with rice in the future. Thanks everyone!

Definitely. There were some good suggestions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrshappy

Marinade for pork chops;

1 tablespoon each of soy sauce, oil and honey.
    1 heaped teaspoon of wholegrain mustard.
    1 crushed clove of garlic
    Some chilli powder or chopped chilli if you like

Mix it all together and marinate chops, then bake them at 180 degrees/gas mark 5 for 25-30 minutes. (Put them on parchment because they'll ruin your roasting tin)

Started using these receipe a while back and it has become a weekly fav!!! And it is sooo easy too - always have the dry ingredients in the house so it's just the pork chops and we do it on a bed of rice

Advertisement